Old Man Olivo Just Keeps Rollin' River Cats Past I-Cubs in Scottsdale
Jake Hannemann ripped an RBI double, walked, scored a run, and stole a base, as the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) edged the Richmond Flying Squirrels (San Francisco Giants AA affiliate) 5-4 on Field #1, and Ali Castillo drilled a two-run double to cap a three-run second inning and 37-year old veteran catcher Miguel Olivo belted a two-run double to highlight a three-run 6th, as the Sacramento River Cats (Giants AAA affiliate) defeated the Iowa Cubs (the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) 6-2 on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League Camp game action Friday afternoon at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were called after eight innings of play.
Richmond DH Tyler Horan slugged a solo home run in a losing cause on Field #1, and Cael Brockmeyer hammered a solo home run for the I-Cubs in a losing cause on Field #2.
Iowa Cubs LHRP Scott Barnes continued a strong Minor League Camp with a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts (both swinging) on Field #2, while RHRP Michael Jensen and Steve Perakslis were hit hard, with Jensen also struggling to find the strike zone (throwing only 44% strikes).
Seven position players were temporarily moved up from the South Bend group to augment the Iowa and Tennessee rosters for the game, with 3B Adonis Paula, OF Donnie Cimino, OF Michael Foster, and 2B Edgar Rondon (who is now switch-hitting -- he had two hits in the game) assigned to the I-Cubs squad, and LF Ricardo Marcano, SS Andruw Monasterio, and C Kevin Zamudio assigned to the Smokies squad, and RHRP James Norwood was moved up to the Tennessee squad from the Myrtle Beach group (and Norwood recorded the save for the Smokies, although he did labor through his one inning of work).
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Also, John Arguello (Cubs Den) has a report from the two Cactus League Minor League games played at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa on Friday.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games played at Indian School Park (Cubs players only):
1. Chesny Young, DH-2B: 1-4 (F-9, 6-3, L-6, 1B, RBI)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B-DH: 1-4 (K, 6-3, 1B, P-6 DP)
3a. Billy McKinney, LF: 0-1 (K, BB)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, PH-LF: 0-1 (F-7 DP, BB)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (2B, K, F-7, F-8, R)
5. Mark Zagunis, RF: 0-3 (6-3, K, K)
6. Jake Hannemann, CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, R, RBI, SB)
7. Victor Caratini, C-DH: 1-3 (1B, 1-3, K, R, RBI)
8. David Bote, 3B-DH: 2-3 (2B, 1B, P-4, R, SB)
9. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, F-8, RBI, CS)
10a. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
10b. Kevin Zamudio, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
10c. Jason Vosler, 3B: 1-1 (2B, R)
11a. Erick Castillo, DH-C: 0-1 (HBP, L-9)
11b. Tyler Pearson, PH-C: 1-1 (1B)
1. Paul Blackburn: 2.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 45 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Gerardo Concepcion: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 4/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (14 strikes)
4. James Farris: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
5. James Norwood: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 24 pirches (14 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (missed catch allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
2. 2B Danny Lockhart: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Victor Caratini: 0-1 CS
2. Erick Castillo; 0-2 CS
1a. Mike O'Neill, DH #1: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, CS)
1b. Donnie Cimino, PH: 0-1 (F-9)
2a. Logan Watkins, 2B-DH: 0-2 (3-1, BB, K, RBI)
2b. Bijan Rademacher, LF: 0-1 (K)
3. Ryan Kalish, CF: 1-4 (F-7, P-5, 1B, K)
4a. Matt Clark, 1B-DH: 1-3 (2B, P-5, K)
4b. Michael Foster, PH: 0-1 (K)
5. Cael Brockmeyer, C-1B: 1-4 (6-3, HR, 6-3 DP, K, R, RBI)
6a. Anthony Giansanti, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
6b. David Freitas, C: 0-2 (P-3, L-8)
7. Kelly Dugan, RF: 0-3 (K, F-8 DP, F-8)
8a. Will Remillard, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
8b. Edgar Rondon, PH-2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B)
9. Bryant Flete, SS: 0-2 (E-6, 4-3, BB, R)
10. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, F-8)
1. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Michael Jensen: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 34 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Starling Peralta: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 2/3 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Steve Perakslis: 0.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 25 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Miguel Mejia: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Scott Barnes: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Cael Brockmeyer: 0-4 CS
IOWA OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Ryan Kalish - batter thrown out 9-6-5 trying to stretch double into triple
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Hagsag 1 hour 18 min ago (view)
Phil, I hope you get to see this group. What a bunch of middle infielders!
Arizona Phil 5 hours 17 min ago (view)
The top four DSL Cubs position player prospects (SS Cristian Hernandez, C Moises Ballesteros, INF Pedro Ramirez, and OF Frank Hernandez) have been added to the Cubs AZIL roster (see updated roster in post above).
Arizona Phil 23 hours 34 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 23 hours 48 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 19 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?