Trevor Clifton Looking Sharp in Scottsdale
Trevor Clifton tossed four innings of one-hit shutout ball, Tyler Alamo and Ian Rice drilled RBI doubles, and Michael Wagner recorded a six-pitch save, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) edge the San Jose Giants (Hi-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants) 2-1 on Field #1, and Ho-Young Son clubbed a solo home run and Eddy Julio Martinez rifled a two-run triple into the LF corner to highlight a five-run 3rd inning, as the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) and the Augusta Greenjackets (Giants Lo-A affiliate) played to a 6-6 tie on Field #2, in Cactus League Minor League game action Tuesday afternoon at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
In addition to the two-run triple, Martinez lined out sharply to short, lined-out sharply to center, and walked and scored in his other three PA.
Four players were temporarily moved up from the Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) group to augment the South Bend roster, with SS Andruw Monasterio, 3B Vimael Machin, 2B Ho-Young Son, and CF Roberto Caro in the SB starting lineup, and Alberto Mineo was moved-up to the Myrtle Beach roster from Eugene/Mesa for the day, getting the start at 1st base for the Pelicans.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (K, 1B, K, F-8, SB)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-4 (6-3, K, K, K)
3. Donnie Dewees, LF: 1-3 (1B+E5, P-6, BB, 3-U, SB)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 1-4 (6-3, 1B, P-6, 6-3, SB)
5a. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, 3-U)
5b. Blake Headley, 1B: 0-1 (K)
6. Daniel Spingola, DH #1: 1-4 (K, 4-3, 1B, 5-3, R)
7. Ian Rice, DH-C: 1-3 (K, F-8, 2B, RBI)
8. Andrew Ely, 3B: 1-3 (F-7, 1B, L-8 DP, R)
9. Tyler Alamo, C-DH: 1-3 (F-8, 2B, K, RBI)
10. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 2-2 (1B, HBP, 1B, SB, PO)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 2/6 GO/AO, 63 pitches (38 strikes)
2. Tommy Thorpe: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 30 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Zach Hedges: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
P Tommy Thorpe: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 0-1 CS
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (E-5, HBP, 4-3, L-6, R, SB)
2a. P. J. Higgins, C: 0-2 (BB, FC+E5, P-4, R, RBI, CS)
2b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (3-U)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #1: 1-3 (L-6, 3B, BB, L-8, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 3-1, R)
4b. Jordan Hankins, 1B: 0-1 (E-4)
5. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-4 (L-8, K, 6-3, L-3)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-2 (F-9, F-9 SF, 6-3, RBI)
7. Tyler Payne, DH #2: 1-3 (2B, P-3, K)
8. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, E-5, F-7)
9. Ho-Young Son, 2B: 1-3 (HR, 4-6-3 DP, 5-3, R, RBI)
10. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (E-4, 1B, F-7, R, SB)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Adbert Alzolay: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 BALK, 1 GIDP, 4/6 GO/AO, 59 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 24 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (14 strikes)
5. John Williamson: 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (4 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny and very breezy with temperatures in the 90's
Eric S 6 hours 40 min ago (view)
Cubs were Nootbaar'ed to the tune of 12-4 in Game 2
Cubster 7 hours 41 min ago (view)
With a Doubleheader loss, the Cubs are back on track for a better draft choice. Right now at 67 wins they pick #7, just ahead of KC and Minnesota who have 68-69 wins.
crunch 9 hours 10 min ago (view)
the shit sandwich that is zach davies is a 6 foot party sub.
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 13 min ago (view)
I am celebrating the day he signs with another team this offseason. I didn't know I could hate him more than I did when he was in Milwaukee but here we are!
crunch 9 hours 33 min ago (view)
wisdom can hit some bombs when he does connect..wow.
also davies still sucks.
tim815 10 hours 8 min ago (view)
McAvene is struggling against hitters in Instructs. He's not ready for the AZ Fall League. I'd expect to see Juan Gamez otr Aneuris Rosario first. Vazquez, I agree with, entirely.
bradsbeard 11 hours 59 min ago (view)
On the position player side, Amaya if he's healthy. Chase Strumpf makes a lot of sense (missed some time early and late, missed all of last year). Nelson Velazquez maybe as a Rule 5 guy if they're on the fence. Cam Balego and Andy Weber are two other candidates if healthy. Luis Vazquez could also use more upper level PAs and would make sense.
Lots of potential pitchers. Ideally Marquez but not sure they'll let him pitch this year. McAvene is probably another one. Would be awesome if Kohl Franklin could participate.
First.Pitch.120 13 hours 16 min ago (view)
Arizona Phil 17 hours 49 min ago (view)
Cubs select contract of RHRP Jason Adam from AAA Iowa and he will be the "29th man" in today's DH with STL. Also,.C Robinson Chirinos to 10-day IL with oblique strain, and OF Greg Deichmann has been recalled from Iowa.
Arizona Phil 18 hours 59 min ago (view)
FP120: The Cubs have been working on pick-off plays, baserunning including rundown ("pickle") drills, amd bunt defense in pre-game and Camp Day instructional work, so it's kind of a "Point of Emphasis." Apparently it's still a work-in-progress for a lot of the guys.And it's not just pick-off plays, either. At least two or three guys have been picked-off in the first three games and there have been a couple of other baserunning gaffes as well. But that's what instructs is for, right?
First.Pitch.120 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
So what's the deal with 5 pick off attempt errors in 3 games?
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Because the Cubs play only the Angels, A's, and Rockies in Instructs this year, I would not be surprised if the Cubs make a trade or two with one or more of those clubs, most especially the Angels, who might be interested in acquiring Kyle Hendricks (since they certainly can't do a rebuild with Trout, Ohtani, and Rendon on the roster).
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
The pitching-starved Angels established an MLB (and probably Ripley's Believe It or Not) record by selecting - ONLY - pitchers in the 2021 draft. That's twenty pitchers. No position players. They signed 19 of the twenty, and five of them pitched in today's game (2021 15th round pick Glenn Albanese Jr started the game, followed by 18th round pick Nick Mondak, 7th round pick Ryan Costeiu, 8th round pick Nick Jones, and 16th round pick Nick Dufault).
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Cubs 2020 4rh round draft pick 6'8 220+ LHSP Luke Little threw mainly a 93-97 FB with an occasional CV and CH mixed-in but pitched mostly from behind in the count, issuing two walks, hitting a batter, and throwing a WP (and surrendering a towering three-run HR) in 2.1 IP of work, LHP Angel Rodriguez was able to throw strikes with a 90-91 MPH FB, CH, and CV mix, but was pounded to the tune of five singles, a double, and a triple in just 2.2 IP, Cubs 2021 14th round draft pick RHRP Frankie Scalzo featured a 93-95 MPH FB but sometimes hung his SL and was hit hard and allowed a HR and five sing
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
chris clarke could use the work.
brennen davis...bryce ball and casey opitz, maybe. *shrug*
i'd like to see ethan roberts in the mix.
ggross 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Phil (or anyone else),
Who are your guesses for Cubs in the Fall League this year? When will the announcements be made? Thanks!