Cubs Pitchers Fan the Blaze at Riverview
Delvin Zinn walloped a solo HR, doubled, reach base on an HBP, and scored three runs, Yonathan Perlaza tripled, walked, stole two bases, and scored two runs, Chris Singleton singled twice, stole two bases, and scored two runs, and seven Cub pitchers combined to toss a one-hitter with 14 strikeouts (including five by SP Yunior Perez in just 1.2 IP), as the Mesa Cubs thrashed the Langley Blaze 7-1 in Minor League Camp game action Friday morning on Field #4 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
A member of the British Columbia Premier Baseball League (BCPBL), the Langley Blaze are one of the top amateur baseball clubs in Canada. Notable alumni include Brett Lawrie and Scott Mathieson, as well as ex-Cub minor leaguer Wes Darvill.
The Blaze are on a ten-day Arizona Spring Training Trip, where they are playing minor league teams, and college and high school teams. The Blaze are scheduled to play one or two (and sometimes even three!) games per day, including morning games, afternoon games, night games, doubleheaders, and split squad games, so the Canadian lads (age 15-18) are playing a LOT of baseball in the Valley of the Sun.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-3 (L-5, 1B, BB, F-7)
2a. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-2 (1B, K, BB)
2b. Orian Nunez, C: 0-1 (L-7)
2c. Danny Zardon, C: NO AB
3. Kevin Moreno, LF: 0-3 (BB, K, K, K)
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 1-3 (5-4-3 DP, BB, 3B, F-7, 2 R, 2 SB)
5. Jake Slaughter, 2B: 0-3 (BB, F-8, 5-3, L-7, RBI)
6. Delvin Zinn, SS: 2-3 (2B, HBP, HR, K, 3 R, RBI)
7. Austin Upshaw, 1B: 1-4 (K, 2B, F-9, F-8, 2 RBI)
8. Chris Singleton, RF: 2-4 (1B, L-8, 1B, 3-U, R, RBI, 2 SB)
9. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 0-4 (1-3, 1-3, K, K)
10. Luis Diaz, DH #2: 1-2 (2B, F-8, BB, RBI)
1. Yunior Perez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 5 K, 32 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Albertos: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Eduarniel Nunez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Danis Correa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
7. Pablo Ochoa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
P Carlos Ocampo: E-1 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 60's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 13 hours 18 min ago (view)
Charlie 14 hours 12 min ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 16 hours 52 min ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 17 hours 38 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 34 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 18 hours 35 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 18 hours 36 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 18 hours 40 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 18 hours 41 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 18 hours 49 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 19 hours 21 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 19 hours 30 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 19 hours 43 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 19 hours 45 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 20 hours 12 sec ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 20 hours 6 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.