Rucker & Hatch Steal the Yu Show at Riverview
Michael Rucker (five innings) and Tom Hatch (four no hit innings) combined to hurl a three-hit shutout with 13 strikeouts, but neither team could push across a run, and so the Hartford Yard Goats (Colorado Rockies AA affiliate) and the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) played to a scoreless tie on Field #5, and the Albuquerque Isotopes (Rockies AAA affiliate) blistered five HR en route to a 13-5 drubbing of the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Cubs) on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League Spring Training game action Sunday afternoon on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Zack Short drilled a two-run double for the I-Cubs in a losing cause.
Yu Darvish came over to the Riverview backfields from MLB Camp and got the start for Iowa, going 4.1 IP (71 pitches - 47 strikes), and allowing three runs on five hits (a HR on the very first pitch of the game, a double, and three singles), no walks, one HBP, two wild pitches, eight strikeouts, and 1/4 GO/AO. Despite allowing the three runs, it actually was a decent outing for Yu.
INF Daniel Descalso, who has been nursing a sore shoulder, also came over to the Minor League side from MLB Camp. Descalso batted second in each of the first six innings, going a combined 0-5 with a walk, a stolen base, and a run scored, and two strikeouts (one swinging and one looking). He looked a bit rusty at the plate. He played 2B for three innings, then moved to 3B for two innings, and then served as a DH, before retiring to the clubhouse in the 7th.
Here are the abridged box scores from the game (Cubs players only)
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 2-4 (1-3, 1-3, 1B, 1B, SB)
2. Cam Balego, 1B-C: 0-4 (E-5, L-7, K, F-8)
3a. Rafelin Lorenzo, C: 1-3 (1-3, F-9, 1B)
3b. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 0-1 (6-3)
4a. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 0-2 (6-3, K)
4b. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 0-1 (K, BB, SB)
5. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, K, 5-3)
6. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 0-4 (4-3, K, K, K)
7a. Christian Donahue, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-9, F-9)
7b. Danny Zardon, PH: 0-1 (P-3)
8. Jesse Hodges, DH: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
9. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-3 (P-5, 4-3, L-8)
1. Michael Rucker: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/5 GO/AO, 75 pitches (51 strikes)
2. Tom Hatch: 4.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 1 PO, 1/3 GO/AO, 59 pitches (36 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 1
SS Yeiler Peguero: E-6 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Rafelin Lorenzo: 1-1 CS, 1 PO
2. Cam Balego: 1-1 CS
X. Daniel Descalso, 2B-3B-DH: 0-5 (1-3, K, 9-6 FC, K, E-3, BB, R, SB)
NOTE: Descalso batted 2nd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th innings
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 2-4 (3-U, 2B, 1B, 3-1, R)
2a. P. J. Higgins, C: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
2b. Fernando Arcia, C: 0-2 (L-4 DP, 3-1)
3. Trent Giambrone, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-8, K, BB, 4-3, R)
4. Vimael Machin, 3B-DH: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, PO)
5a. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-1 (F-8, BB, R)
5b. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI)
6a. Zack Short, SS: 1-1 (BB, 2B, 2 RBI)
6b. Edmond Americaan, CF: 0-1 (6-4 FC, RBI)
7a. Tyler Payne, DH #3: 0-0 (BB)
7b. Raymond Pena, PH: 0-1 (K)
7c. Josue Huma, SS: 0-1 (6-4-3 DP)
8. Ian Rice, 1B: 0-2 (F-7, K, BB)
9. Brandon Hughes, RF: 0-3 (5-3, K, 6-4-3 DP)
10. D. J. Artis, LF: 0-2 (P-2, BB, K)
1. Yu Darvish: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 2 WP, 1/4 GO/AO, 71 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Colin Rea: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (23 strikes)
3. Wyatt Short: 0.1 IP, 2 H, 4 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Ryan Williams: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 HR, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Josue Huma: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Fidel Mejia: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. P. J. Higgins: 0-1 CS
2. Fernando Arcia: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 13 hours 39 min ago (view)
Charlie 14 hours 33 min ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 17 hours 13 min ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 17 hours 59 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 55 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 18 hours 56 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 18 hours 57 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 19 hours 1 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 19 hours 2 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 19 hours 11 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 19 hours 42 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 19 hours 51 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 20 hours 4 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 20 hours 7 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 20 hours 21 min ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 20 hours 27 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.