Pelicans Brief South Bend on Way to Succeed in Intrasquad Business
Shawon Dunston Jr stroked an RBI double, reached base on a bunt single, and scored two runs, Trey Martin clubbed an RBI triple, stole two bases, and scored two runs, and Gioskar Amaya reached base three times on two walks and a single, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans to an 8-5 victory over the South Bend Cubs in Minor League Camp intrasquad action this morning on Field #6 at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Frandy de la Rosa roped a triple and an RBI single and scored a run for South Bend in a losing cause.
Four pitchers threw in the game, with two starting pitchers "piggy-backing" for each squad. Of the four, Erick Leal had the worst outing, allowing five runs on eight hits (including two doubles and a triple) and a walk (plus a throwing error and a wild pitch) in just 3.2 IP.
The game was called with one out in the top of the 8th inning.
Here is the abridged box score from the game:
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (BB, 4-3, 6-3, BB, 1B)
2. Gleyber Torres, SS: 2-4 (1B, 1B, K, 6-4 FC, CS)
3. Chesny Young, 2B: 1-2 (BB, F-7, 2B, F-9 SF, R, RBI)
4. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 1-4 (K, 1B, P-5, F-7, R)
5. Shawon Dunston Jr, DH: 2-3 (K, 5-3 SH, 2B, 1B, 2 R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 2-4 (L-7, 1B, P-6, 1B+E1, R, RBI)
7. Trey Martin, CF: 1-4 (E-1, K, 3B, K, 2 R, RBI, 2 SB)
8. Kevin Encarnacion, LF: 1-4 (K, K, 1B, 2-3, RBI, CS)
9. David Bote, 3B: 1-4 (5-3, F-8, E-3, 1B, R)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Andrew Ely, SS: 0-3 (F-7, K, 6-3)
1b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 0-1 (K)
2. Charcer Burks, LF-CF: 1-4 (1-3, 1B, F-8, F-7, R)
3a. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-2 (F-7, 1B+E7, BB, R)
3b. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 1-1 (2B)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-4 (P-4, 6-3, 2B, L-6, R, RBI)
5. Jesse Hodges, DH: 1-3 (1B, K+WP, BB, K, R)
6. Tanner Witt, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-9 DP)
7. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 2-3 (L-8, 3B, 1B, R, RBI)
8. Justin Marra, 1B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, L-6, RBI)
9a. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-2 (L-5, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (L-9)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 3.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/6 GO/FO, 68 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Jonathan Martinez: 3.2 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1/7 GO/FO, 62 pitches (40 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 3/2 GO/FO, 63 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Erick Leal:3.2 IP, 8 H, 6 R (5 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/5 GO/FO, 58 pitches (38 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. LF Kevin Encarnacion - E-7 (fielding error on ground single to left allowed batter-runner to advance an extra base)
2. C Gioskar Amaya - E-2 (overthrow at 1st base on K+WP allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. P Trevor Clifton - E-1 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Justin Marra - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. P Erick Leal - E-1 (overthrow at 1st base on bunt single allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya; 1 E (see above)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 2-4 CS, 2 PB
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1 PB
MYRTLE BEACH OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Rashad Crawford - threw out baserunner (Kevonte Mitchell) 9-2 trying to score from 3rd base on fly ball to right
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Eric S 4 hours 28 min ago (view)
Definitely was time for Monty and/or Chatwood to move on.
crunch 4 hours 33 min ago (view)
pretty much washes out the $$, but i was kinda sick of montgomery. it's not much of a gamble for KC given that monty has club control years left.
all D with a little pop...better option than t.davis, at least.
hopefully this move isn't because contreras might be DL bound.
Eric S 4 hours 34 min ago (view)
Per the internet, Cubs have traded for KC catcher Martin Maldonado. 🤷♂️
Update: trade in exchange for Mike Montgomery
Well that will clear up a spot in the bullpen at a minimum and perhaps kicks Descalso to the curb in the process to clear room on the bench for Maldonado
Well shit. Willson to the 10 day IL with a strained arch to the right foot (shakes angry fist at Rosario for his wildness at the root of this). Guess Descalso will get to relax, strike out and eat sunflower seeds on the bench for a while longer.
Eric S 5 hours 7 min ago (view)
Just a putrid game in a lot of respects. Cubs futility against the Reds is highly annoying.
crunch 5 hours 11 min ago (view)
cubs lose, cards move into 2nd in the central.
Eric S 5 hours 12 min ago (view)
Happ starting to make some noise in Iowa with a three hit night, with two homers (now 15 for the season), raising his average to .240 - I don’t think it’s been that high for several months. I believe he’s had a number of multi-hit games the last couple of weeks to help bump up the average.
Eric S 5 hours 41 min ago (view)
Reds reliever Michael Lorenzen reminding Theo that he’s significantly better than both of Theo‘s big offseason acquisitions of Brach and Descalso in both pitching and hitting. Perhaps Brach is the better base runner?
crunch 5 hours 41 min ago (view)
heyward - 1
bat - 0
crunch 5 hours 49 min ago (view)
bad D has directly resulted in at least 3 of tonight's reds runs.
Eric S 5 hours 50 min ago (view)
Brach has inherited 15 runs - some how, some way, 50 of them have scored
Eric S 5 hours 58 min ago (view)
I bet Hendricks wasn’t envisioning seeing both Rosario and Brach pitching in the 8th after leaving with a 3-2 lead after six.
Eric S 6 hours 12 min ago (view)
Been a month since Rizzo hit a dinger. Tonight would be a good time to get off the schnide.
Eric S 6 hours 22 min ago (view)
First half Cubs showed up for the top of the seventh - yuck
crunch 6 hours 23 min ago (view)
also, dude, cishek.
crunch 6 hours 49 min ago (view)
can't think of a much better way to spend some loot, myself. sounds awesome.
michael2z 7 hours 18 min ago (view)
I try to go to a three-game series every year. I have been taking my son for years and began taking two of my grandsons the last four years and plan on bringing all three to a series next year. I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I still have family there (my cousins own the Twin Anchors restaurant in Old Town).
Yes, the cost is much, but the time with family is truly priceless. Trying to enjoy the time I’ve got left, hoping that the boys have a great time and memories to share for generations