Four-Run 7th Lifts South Bend Cubs Past Bees at Diablo
P. J. Higgins grounded an RBI single through the 3.5 hole to plate the first run of the inning and Ho-Young Son followed with a bases-loaded triple into the left-centerfield gap to score three more, as the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) rallied for four runs in the 7th and defeated the Burlington Bees (Los Angeles Angels Lo-A affiliate) 7-4 on Field #4, and Brendan Sanger and Hutton Moyer belted back-to-back RBI triples to highlight a three-run 3rd and RHSP Tyler Carpenter hurled four innings of shutout ball, as the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Hi-A affiliate) defeated the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) 5-3 on Field #7, in Cactus League Minor League game action Friday afternoon at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
Besides the four-run rally in the 7th, Carlos Sepulveda doubled twice and scored a run and Kevonte Mitchell belted an RBI triple, walked, and cut-down a baserunner 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to right for the SB-Cubs.
RHSP Jake Stinnett had a rough outing for Myrtle Beach, allowing five runs (four earned) on eight hits (including the back-to-back RBI triples), a walk, and a WP in 4.0 IP (61 pitches).
Among the more-notable Cub position player prospects playing in the two games, Ian Happ played 2B and went 0-2 with two walks, a strikeout (swinging), and a 1-3 bounce-out (slamming his bat into the ground in frustration before starting for 1st) and an E-4 fielding miscue (which led to an unearned run scoring), Donnie Dewees served as a DH and reached base three times (two singles and a walk), Eddy Julio Martinez also served as a DH and drilled a ringing RBI double (near HR) off the LF wall, and Eloy Jimenez played LF and went 1-3 (double into to the LF corner, walk, and a run scored).
Angelo Amendolare, Vimael Machin, Alberto Mineo, Andruw Monasterio, and Ho-Young Son were moved-up from the Eugene/Mesa group for the day to augment the South Bend and Myrtle Beach rosters.
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, P-5, K)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, 3-1, R)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #1: 1-4 (2B, P-5, F-8 DP, 6-3, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-3 (L-4 DP, 2B, K, BB, R)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 6-3, 1B, R)
5b. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (BB, 3B, E-6, F-8, R, RBI, CS)
7a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, R, SB)
7b. Blake Headley, 1B; 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, RBI)
8b. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-2 (1B, F-9, R, RBI)
9a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
9b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-1 (3B, 3 RBI)
10. Angelo Amendolare, DH #2: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, K, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Casey Bloomquist: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 42 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
5. John Williamson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Carlos Sepulveda: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Matt Rose: E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed baserunner to advance from 2nd to 3rd)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
P. J. Higgins: 0-2 CS
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Kevonte Mitchell - baserunner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, BB, CS)
2. Donnie Dewees, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, BB, 1B, F-8)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3, BB, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, BB, K, R, SB)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 2-4 (5-4-3 DP, 1B, F-8, 2B, R)
6a. Daniel Spingola, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, 6-4 FC, CS)
6b. Ian Rice, PH-DH; 0-1 (E-5, BB)
7. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-4 (K, F-8, K, 1B, RBI)
8. Andrew Ely, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, K, BB, RBI)
9a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (F-9, L-4 DP)
10. Sutton Whiting, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 4.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/AO, 61 pitches (37 strikes)
2. James Norwood: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
5. James Farris: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
2B Ian Happ: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 57 min 27 sec ago (view)
Arizona vintage Shelby today
crunch 59 min 48 sec ago (view)
shelby miller is dildos.
Arizona Phil 1 hour 56 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller's minor league contract opt out was probably 4/15.
Sonicwind75 2 hours 45 min ago (view)
Good and/or depressing article about Javy over on Fangraphs.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 3 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller selected, Alzolay optioned. Adam returns, Wieck optioned. Romine returns, Wolters DFA
crunch 18 hours 33 min ago (view)
wow, a cubs moment to root for. that's been a while.
crunch 18 hours 38 min ago (view)
pedro strop returns!
slider looks great, but (as designed) he rarely throws it in the zone...fishing for swings/misses and bad contact. he's got great command of it nibbling low and both sides of the plate.
fastball coming in 92-94mph without much movement. you could tell in the arias AB how much he didn't want to throw him a fastball (continuing to throw the slider on a 3-1 for a foul, and walking him with a slider on the next pitch).
1ip 1h 1bb 1k, 0 r/er
crunch 20 hours 58 min ago (view)
...and matt duffy placed on the covid list (no positive, possible contact)
crunch 21 hours 10 min ago (view)
hendricks scratched because he's "not feeling well."
a.mills steps in.
Charlie 22 hours 3 min ago (view)
Back door firing all the players through COVID protocols? Better clear some shelf space for that manager of the year trophy.
crunch 22 hours 3 min ago (view)
Patrick Mooney @PJ_Mooney
Cubs manager David Ross says none of the team’s players on the COVID-19-related injured list have tested positive: “We’re going to err on the side of caution.”
crunch 22 hours 4 min ago (view)
-deleted, wrong thread-
crunch 23 hours 32 min ago (view)
they could motivate the team with a full sized cutout of a nude tom ricketts they reveal a little bit at a time when they win.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Maybe if we threaten to move the team to Miami if they lose enough games it will be the motivation that they need to pull togethert for an improbable run to the playoffs.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
CTSteve 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
You can't fire all the players. Why is that, again?