Four-Run 7th Lifts South Bend Cubs Past Bees at Diablo
P. J. Higgins grounded an RBI single through the 3.5 hole to plate the first run of the inning and Ho-Young Son followed with a bases-loaded triple into the left-centerfield gap to score three more, as the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) rallied for four runs in the 7th and defeated the Burlington Bees (Los Angeles Angels Lo-A affiliate) 7-4 on Field #4, and Brendan Sanger and Hutton Moyer belted back-to-back RBI triples to highlight a three-run 3rd and RHSP Tyler Carpenter hurled four innings of shutout ball, as the Inland Empire 66ers (Angels Hi-A affiliate) defeated the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) 5-3 on Field #7, in Cactus League Minor League game action Friday afternoon at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
Besides the four-run rally in the 7th, Carlos Sepulveda doubled twice and scored a run and Kevonte Mitchell belted an RBI triple, walked, and cut-down a baserunner 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on a single to right for the SB-Cubs.
RHSP Jake Stinnett had a rough outing for Myrtle Beach, allowing five runs (four earned) on eight hits (including the back-to-back RBI triples), a walk, and a WP in 4.0 IP (61 pitches).
Among the more-notable Cub position player prospects playing in the two games, Ian Happ played 2B and went 0-2 with two walks, a strikeout (swinging), and a 1-3 bounce-out (slamming his bat into the ground in frustration before starting for 1st) and an E-4 fielding miscue (which led to an unearned run scoring), Donnie Dewees served as a DH and reached base three times (two singles and a walk), Eddy Julio Martinez also served as a DH and drilled a ringing RBI double (near HR) off the LF wall, and Eloy Jimenez played LF and went 1-3 (double into to the LF corner, walk, and a run scored).
Angelo Amendolare, Vimael Machin, Alberto Mineo, Andruw Monasterio, and Ho-Young Son were moved-up from the Eugene/Mesa group for the day to augment the South Bend and Myrtle Beach rosters.
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, P-5, K)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, 3-1, R)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, DH #1: 1-4 (2B, P-5, F-8 DP, 6-3, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-3 (L-4 DP, 2B, K, BB, R)
5a. Matt Rose, 3B: 1-3 (P-3, 6-3, 1B, R)
5b. Vimael Machin, 3B: 0-0 (HBP)
6. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-3 (BB, 3B, E-6, F-8, R, RBI, CS)
7a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, R, SB)
7b. Blake Headley, 1B; 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8a. Erick Castillo, C: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, RBI)
8b. P. J. Higgins, C: 1-2 (1B, F-9, R, RBI)
9a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 0-2 (F-8, F-8)
9b. Ho-Young Son, SS: 1-1 (3B, 3 RBI)
10. Angelo Amendolare, DH #2: 1-3 (P-3, 1B, K, CS)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Casey Bloomquist: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 4 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 42 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Corbin Hoffner: 1.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
5. John Williamson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
6. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Carlos Sepulveda: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Matt Rose: E-5 (throwing error on infield single allowed baserunner to advance from 2nd to 3rd)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
P. J. Higgins: 0-2 CS
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Kevonte Mitchell - baserunner thrown out 9-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, BB, CS)
2. Donnie Dewees, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, BB, 1B, F-8)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 0-2 (BB, K, 1-3, BB, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-3 (1B, F-8, BB, K, R, SB)
5. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B: 2-4 (5-4-3 DP, 1B, F-8, 2B, R)
6a. Daniel Spingola, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, 6-4 FC, CS)
6b. Ian Rice, PH-DH; 0-1 (E-5, BB)
7. Charcer Burks, LF: 1-4 (K, F-8, K, 1B, RBI)
8. Andrew Ely, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, K, BB, RBI)
9a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-2 (F-9, L-4 DP)
10. Sutton Whiting, 3B: 0-3 (F-8, K, 5-3)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 4.0 IP, 8 H, 5 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 4/3 GO/AO, 61 pitches (37 strikes)
2. James Norwood: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Michael Wagner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 6 pitches (6 strikes)
5. James Farris: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
2B Ian Happ: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 1-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 12 min 55 sec ago (view)
sahadev sharma (the atlantic) says w.contreras is all but gone via trade if jed can't get an extension worked out.
unless you're a yan gomes fan, the catcher market is nearly non-existent this off-season.
if this gets a bit more dire looking for the cubs i'll try to compile a list of 18-21 year old below-top-10 team tallent and guys with serious injuries missing all of next season as potential cubs trade targets.
Cubster 10 hours 47 min ago (view)
Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...
"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)
Hagsag 12 hours 55 min ago (view)
crunch 22 hours 52 min ago (view)
It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated. coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019. last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.
we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.
azbobbop 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site
SheffieldCornelia 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
I echo this!
Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).
Hagsag 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.
Mike Wellman 3 days 41 min ago (view)
On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!
First.Pitch.120 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).
Wrigley Rat 3 days 21 hours ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 4 days 4 hours ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 4 days 5 hours ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 4 days 9 hours ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"