D. J. Leads Pelicans past 66ers at Diablo
D. J. Wilson singled twice, stole a base, scored a run, and drove one in, Fidel Mejia singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, and catcher Johnny Pereda drilled two RBI singles and threw out all four baserunners who tried to steal against him, leading the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) to a 5-3 victory over the Inland Empire 66ers (Los Angeles Angels Hi-A affiliate) on Field #3, and RHSP Luis Madero hurled four innings of one-run ball and Brandon Marsh roped a two-out two-run single to cap a three-run 3rd inning, helping the Burlington Bees (Angels Lo-A affiliate) defeat the Cubs Lo-A South Bend affiliate 6-1 on Field #4, in Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader game action Sunday afternoon at the Diablo Stadium Complex in Tempe, AZ.
Myrtle Beach relievers retired the last eleven men they faced on Field #3.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-4 (1B, 1B, 1-3, K, R, RBI, SB)
2. Brandon Hughes, RF: 0-3 (6-3, 3-U, BB, K)
3. Austin Filiere, 3B: 1-4 (1B, F-8, F-8, F-9, R, RBI)
4. Fidel Mejia, 1B: 2-3 (BB, 1B, K, 1B, R, SB)
5. Jhonny Pereda, C: 2-4 (1B, 1-3, 6-3, 1B, 2 RBI)
6. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-4 (1-3, 6-3, K, 1B)
7a. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-2 (E-5, 1-3, R)
7b. Christian Donahue, 2B: 0-2 (K, K)
8. Cam Balego, DH: 0-4 (E-9, F-8, K, F-7, R)
9. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-3 (K, K, K)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jose Paulino: 4.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R (3 ER) 2 BB, 4 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 73 pitches (44 strikes)
2. Tyler Peyton: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/3 GO/AO, 32 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO), 10 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Yapson Gomez: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 4-4 CS
MYRTLE BEACH BASERUNNING:
Fidel Mejia - thrown out 8-5 arrempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on RBI single to CF
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Chris Singleton, CF 2-4 (5-3, 1B, 1B, F-7, PO)
2. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-4 (F-8, F-7, 5-3, 6-3)
3. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-4 (E-5, 1B, 3-U, F-7, R)
4a. Miguel Amaya, C: 2-3 (1B, 6-3, 1B)
4b. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (K)
5a. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, BB, RBI)
5b. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-1 (K)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, LF: 0-4 (K, L-7, 4-6-3 DP, F-8)
7. Ramsey Romano, 2B: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, 5-3)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, K, CS)
9. Luis Diaz, DH: 0-3 (5-3, L-9, K)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Javier Assad: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 74 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Matt Swarmer: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Sean Barry: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Ben Hecht: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Jeffrey Passantino: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 3
1. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter reach base safely)
2. RF Yovanny Cuevas: E-9 (dropped pop fly in foul territory extending batter's AB)
3. P Ben Hecht: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Miguel Amaya: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Alexander Guerra: 1 PB
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
tim815 4 hours 49 min ago (view)
The rush to 70 players.
Arizona Phil 5 hours 6 min ago (view)
The Cubs have released OF Luis Berrelleza, INF Rochest Cruz, LHP Misael Garcia, OF Orlando Guzman, C-1B Brayan Mancilla, RHP Yander Montero, OF Carlos Pacheco, and OF John Rodriguez.
crunch 7 hours 50 min ago (view)
it screws up stats. i know you play for wins/losses, but real money is on the line for players and makes agent/player homework selling their client a bit harder.
it also makes historical comparisons difficult.
the amount of time i've seen a fresh inning starting out...bunt guy to 3rd for an out, IBB, IBB is too high. what would amount to a leadoff single following that can easily turn into 2 runs (1 earned) with guys on the corner...which usually leads to another IBB.
Charlie 8 hours 55 min ago (view)
Jay Jaffe has a timely argument against the runner on second rule over at fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-runner-on-second-i...
I still don't know why we don't just have ties. Obviously, the Cubs could have dodged most of these situations by simply hitting a little bit during the regulation innings.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 39 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed free-agent RHSP Adrian Sampson to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa, and RHP Michael McAvene, LHP Jack Patterson, and OF Donnie Dewees have been placed on the 60-day IL to open up slots for Sampson, Trayce Thompson, and Kyle Ryan on the Cubs minor league 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
crunch 12 hours 4 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
2-game sweep, 2 games under .500
crunch 12 hours 30 min ago (view)
stumbled onto this today...clip from a 2019 ESPN broadcast game with boog, chipper jones, and david ross in the booth...
boog used to call games for ATL, btw...
tim815 15 hours 10 sec ago (view)
Someone on social media was floating Yoelqui Cespedes to the Cubs in a Bryant trade.
I was clueless if it was permitted. It is.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have traded for outfielder Trayce Thompson, who was with the Diamondbacks at Triple-A, but is formerly of the big league White Sox, Dodgers, and A’s. The Diamondbacks are getting cash in the deal, which is a reflection of the reality that Thompson, 30, is a depth outfielder at this point in his career. Thompson is the younger brother of NBA star Klay Thompson. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/05/11/cub...
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
i'd like to point out ross feels more comfortable with j.pederson and k.bryant in CF over j.heyward.
watching heyward not just look human in the OF, but having a bit of a hard time is rough. he's just not getting to stuff like he used to.
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
bryant out of the game for no apparent reason...that...doesn't seem good...
he's "under the weather" according the clubhouse. that's better than screwed up oblique or similar, at least.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
this shane bieber guy kinda sucks. 1 run in, bases loaded 0 outs.
i hope 4-5 innings of alzolay and the 5 pen guys after him hold it down.
...hey wow, bases loaded 0 out turns into 0 runs...very cubs.
George Altman 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Baseball wants more offense, fans want more action -- limit pitching staffs to 12, ideally transition to 11 over a 3 year period.
Teams are asking RPs to throw only 45 pitches a week. Think about that.
SPs who throw 175 IP/Yr will be museum pieces in 5 years.
It's not shifts. Oh....and electronic Strike zones as soon as possible.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
given that the starters are on pace to pitch around 150 innings this year they might need the zillion relievers.
i'm under the impression that d.ross got a new Fitbit exercise tracker prior to the season and likes to have excuses to walk to the mound for higher step counts. i'm going with this theory until proved otherwise.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
I get that 40 man rosters are complicated, but now we have 10 GD relievers and 3 bench guys, one of whom is an obviously injured Javy.
I can't wait until they reinstate the 13 pitchers maximum rule.
crunch 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
baez (again) a late scratch because back ouchies.