Rockie Road for Cubs at Riverview
RHSP Ryan Castellani tossed four innings of one-run ball and Roberto Ramos and Scott Burcham hammered back-to-back RBI doubles to highlight a four-run 6th, as the Hartford Yard Goats (Colorado Rockies AA affiliate) edged the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) 4-3 on Field #5, and Vince Fernandez drilled an RBI double and a two-run single and Todd Czinege belted a solo HR to help the Albuquerque Isotopes (Rockies AAA affiliate) defeat the Cubs AAA Iowa affiliate 8-3 on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader game action Tuesday afternoon on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
In two starts versus Tennessee in the last week, Ryan Castellani has thrown eight innings and allowed just one run on six hits and two walks with seven strikeouts. (Castellani is ranked by Baseball America as the Rockies #6 prospect).
RHSP Duncan Robinson hurled five innings of shutout ball, Jesse Hodges drove-in two runs with an RBI single and an RBI double, and Chris Pieters singled & doubled and scored a run for Tennessee, and the Smokies had the potential tying and winning runs on base with no outs in the bottom of the 9th but were unable to plate even one of the runners.
Stephen Bruno (RBI double) and Bijan Rademacher (RBI single) drilled consecutive two-out RBI hits in the bottom of the 3rd to provide Iowa's two runs on Field #6.
As was mentioned here yeaterday, several Iowa Cubs players traveled to Florida with the MLB squad for the two-game pre-season set versus the Red Sox in Ft. Myers, so a number of players on the Tennessee, Myrtle Beach, and South Bend squads have been temporarily promoted to higher levels for a few days (until the I-Cubs return from Florida).
Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner saw his first game action since being suspended for 50 (official) games after testing positive for a "Drug of Abuse," and he had a very poor outing, allowing three runs on two hits and three walks in 2/3 of an inning while throwing only 38% strikes. (With the approval of the MLB Commissioner and with the consent of the player's MLB organization, a player who is on the Restricted List as the result of a prohibited substance suspension can attend Minor League Camp and Extended Spring Training - without pay - and participate in Minor League Camp and EXST games while serving the suspension, although the player is not required to do so). Barring rain-outs or other postponements, Garner's suspension is scheduled to end on May 27th.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
1a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 4-6 FC, K, SB)
1b. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Rafael Narea, 2B: 1-3 (K, BB, BB, 1B, 5-2 FC)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (BB, P-3, 4-6-3 DP, F-8, K, SB)
4. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, 1B, 5-3, R)
5a. Trent Giambrone, DH: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5b. Tyler Pearson,. PH: 0-1 (K)
6. Vimael Machin, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, BB, F-9)
7a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 1-1 (1B, R)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 6-3 DP, 2B, 2 RBI)
9a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-0 (BB)
1. Duncan Robinson: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 5/8 GO/AO, 58 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Scott Effross: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 38 pitches (31 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Jake Stinnett: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Rafael Narea: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Will Remillard: 0-3 CS
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
1a. Stephen Bruno, 3B: 2-3 (3-U, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
1b. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Bijan Rademacher, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 6-3 DP, 3-U, RBI, SB)
3. Wynton Bernard, RF-DH: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, K)
4a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
4b. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: NO AB
5. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-3)
6a. P. J. Higgins, C: 2-2 (2B, 1B)
6b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (E-4, CS)
7. Ali Solis, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, K)
8a. Charcer Burks, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
8b. Jonathan Soto, PH: 0-1 (K)
8c. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-1 (K)
9. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
10. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, R)
1. Jesus Camargo: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 44 pitches (26 strikes)
3. David Garner: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Jake Steffens: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Mitch Stophel: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
P. J. Higgins: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperaturs in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 31 min 32 sec ago (view)
And Joe pinch hits for Descalso again today - now 205/277/316 on the year. But no need to put a jumpy-jump in the parking lot during spring training like they did last year for TLS so it balances out.
crunch 54 min 41 sec ago (view)
tommy lastella hit his 12th homer of the year...grand slam.
tim815 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
Not sure why any of the teams would only have enough talent for one XSL game.
crunch 2 hours 39 min ago (view)
aww...cubs were a pest all game, but couldn't overcome.
crunch 2 hours 42 min ago (view)
omfg chatwood...with the bat.
crunch 2 hours 44 min ago (view)
RIP heyward's bat.
shout out to bo jackson...that was a clean break.
it was a swing/miss with no contact so it's doubtful it was a cracked bat.
Eric S 3 hours 10 min ago (view)
Bullpen reclamation project Kyle Ryan’s ERA now 5.06. Bummer
crunch 3 hours 27 min ago (view)
wow baez...also, wow rizzo.
call overturned, but that was a hell of an "almost" play.
crunch 6 hours 18 min ago (view)
he's thrown so little of his other stuff lately that i can't even guess and sure don't know.
he's always been fastball-heavy, but it's almost exclusively fastball now.
he gets movement on a 95-97mph fastball...that's a positive about it if he's gonna continously offer it up.
VirginiaPhil 6 hours 23 min ago (view)
crunch 6 hours 47 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / rizzo / contreras / heyward / almora / descalso / lester / bote
i guess we're in for 2-20 random games of "pitcher hits 8th" before suddenly deciding that's not a thing anymore...again
crunch 13 hours 9 min ago (view)
it had to feel good for him to get that standing O at the home ballpark.
he's still throwing almost nothing but fastballs exclusively, though...wonder what's up with that.
Hagsag 14 hours 1 min ago (view)
Chatwood is becoming a force in the BP.
QuietMan 22 hours 40 min ago (view)
crunch 22 hours 59 min ago (view)
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
crunch 23 hours 45 min ago (view)