Rockie Road for Cubs at Riverview
RHSP Ryan Castellani tossed four innings of one-run ball and Roberto Ramos and Scott Burcham hammered back-to-back RBI doubles to highlight a four-run 6th, as the Hartford Yard Goats (Colorado Rockies AA affiliate) edged the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) 4-3 on Field #5, and Vince Fernandez drilled an RBI double and a two-run single and Todd Czinege belted a solo HR to help the Albuquerque Isotopes (Rockies AAA affiliate) defeat the Cubs AAA Iowa affiliate 8-3 on Field #6, in Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader game action Tuesday afternoon on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
In two starts versus Tennessee in the last week, Ryan Castellani has thrown eight innings and allowed just one run on six hits and two walks with seven strikeouts. (Castellani is ranked by Baseball America as the Rockies #6 prospect).
RHSP Duncan Robinson hurled five innings of shutout ball, Jesse Hodges drove-in two runs with an RBI single and an RBI double, and Chris Pieters singled & doubled and scored a run for Tennessee, and the Smokies had the potential tying and winning runs on base with no outs in the bottom of the 9th but were unable to plate even one of the runners.
Stephen Bruno (RBI double) and Bijan Rademacher (RBI single) drilled consecutive two-out RBI hits in the bottom of the 3rd to provide Iowa's two runs on Field #6.
As was mentioned here yeaterday, several Iowa Cubs players traveled to Florida with the MLB squad for the two-game pre-season set versus the Red Sox in Ft. Myers, so a number of players on the Tennessee, Myrtle Beach, and South Bend squads have been temporarily promoted to higher levels for a few days (until the I-Cubs return from Florida).
Iowa Cubs RHRP David Garner saw his first game action since being suspended for 50 (official) games after testing positive for a "Drug of Abuse," and he had a very poor outing, allowing three runs on two hits and three walks in 2/3 of an inning while throwing only 38% strikes. (With the approval of the MLB Commissioner and with the consent of the player's MLB organization, a player who is on the Restricted List as the result of a prohibited substance suspension can attend Minor League Camp and Extended Spring Training - without pay - and participate in Minor League Camp and EXST games while serving the suspension, although the player is not required to do so). Barring rain-outs or other postponements, Garner's suspension is scheduled to end on May 27th.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
1a. Roberto Caro, LF: 0-3 (1-3, 4-6 FC, K, SB)
1b. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
2. Rafael Narea, 2B: 1-3 (K, BB, BB, 1B, 5-2 FC)
3. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-4 (BB, P-3, 4-6-3 DP, F-8, K, SB)
4. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 1-4 (K, 5-3, 1B, 5-3, R)
5a. Trent Giambrone, DH: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5b. Tyler Pearson,. PH: 0-1 (K)
6. Vimael Machin, SS: 1-3 (1B, 4-3, BB, F-9)
7a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 2-3 (L-8, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
7b. Tyler Alamo, 1B: 1-1 (1B, R)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, 6-3 DP, 2B, 2 RBI)
9a. Will Remillard, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-4 FC, F-9)
9b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-0 (BB)
1. Duncan Robinson: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 5/8 GO/AO, 58 pitches (37 strikes)
2. Scott Effross: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 38 pitches (31 strikes)
3. Eugenio Palma: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Jake Stinnett: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Rafael Narea: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Jesse Hodges: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Will Remillard: 0-3 CS
2. Jhonny Pereda: 1-1 CS
1a. Stephen Bruno, 3B: 2-3 (3-U, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
1b. Ramsey Romano, 3B: 0-1 (4-3)
2. Bijan Rademacher, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 1B, 6-3 DP, 3-U, RBI, SB)
3. Wynton Bernard, RF-DH: 0-3 (4-3, F-9, K)
4a. Yasiel Balaguert, LF: 0-3 (F-8, 4-3, K)
4b. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: NO AB
5. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, 5-3)
6a. P. J. Higgins, C: 2-2 (2B, 1B)
6b. Erick Castillo, C: 0-1 (E-4, CS)
7. Ali Solis, DH #1: 0-3 (1-3, F-8, K)
8a. Charcer Burks, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
8b. Jonathan Soto, PH: 0-1 (K)
8c. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-1 (K)
9. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-3 (K, F-8, 6-3)
10. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 6-3, R)
1. Jesus Camargo: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 3/3 GO/AO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Rosario: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 44 pitches (26 strikes)
3. David Garner: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Rob Zastryzny: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 10 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Jake Steffens: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Mitch Stophel: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 1 GIDP, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
P. J. Higgins: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperaturs in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 28 min 36 sec ago (view)
Another lefty Padre starter and JHey gets a breather. Robel in LF (batting 5th) Almora CF (leadoff) and Bryant in RF
Charlie 1 hour 59 min ago (view)
Mike Leake? Check that guy's locker for a genie lamp.
bradsbeard 2 hours 13 min ago (view)
AZ Phil, your writeup here suggests a player on the restricted list in Zobrist’s situation cannot be reinstated between August 1 and October 31. Does Zobrist actually have to be reinstated this month to play at all the rest of the season?
crunch 11 hours 12 min ago (view)
base hit to lead off top 9th...aww.
killer performance and there should be enough in the tank to easily get the CG (only 79 pitches).
crunch 11 hours 39 min ago (view)
m.leake (SEA) perfect through 7ip, 67 pitches
crunch 12 hours 12 min ago (view)
STL down by 7...so they score 10 in the 6th...and barely manage to win a 12-11 game.
Craig A. 15 hours 28 min ago (view)
Of course, the Cubs knew he was delicate when they signed him, but Maddon pushed him anyway. How much value is there to an elite player who can’t be used very much?
Eric S 17 hours 12 min ago (view)
Bote’s numbers trending down unfortunately - not far from Russell‘s
bradsbeard 17 hours 42 min ago (view)
Bryant’s always been pretty good in LF. It’s RF where he looks most awkward to me. Something about staying on the left side of the field maybe. I think you’ll see Bryant and Schwarber platooned in LF going forward, though that might depend on Bote’s ability to start hitting LHP again.
Eric S 18 hours 10 min ago (view)
Cubs win and this Kimbrel pickup paying dividends
crunch 18 hours 15 min ago (view)
he's a low level jerk, but i find it hard to hate the guy when he doesn't try ducking an interview to explain wtf his problem is.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 20 min ago (view)
Too many of our relief arms have excelled at blowing late leads. Strop and Edwards have been the primary ones.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 21 min ago (view)
He’s sipping drinks on a beach?
Could he be Mai Tai Guy???
crunch 18 hours 29 min ago (view)
SD defense is the player of the game.
Eric S 18 hours 36 min ago (view)
Should the Cubs go on to win this game ... wow. Some crazy-stupid self inflicted damage that they’ve somehow skirted.
Eric S 18 hours 43 min ago (view)
Strop has become very adroit at blowing leads giving up the long ball (same thing last Friday coming off the all star break?)