Cubs Thank Kane County for the Memories by a Score of 5-2
Ryan McNeil threw three innings of shutout ball with four strikeouts, Charcer Burks delivered a double and an RBI triple and scored a run, and Frandy de la Rosa reached base four times (RBI double, two singles, and an HBP), drove-in a run, and scored another, leading the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) to a 5-2 victory over the Kane County Cougars (Arizona Diamondbacks Lo-A affiliate) on Field #5, and Jake Stinnett threw five innings of two-run ball, Yasiel Balaguert drilled three hits (RBI double and two singles), and Trey Martin slugged a solo HR, singled and scored, drove-in a run with a sacrifice fly, and pulled back what would have certainly been a home run with a leaping catch over the left-centerfield fence, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) to a 5-2 victory over the Visalia Rawhide (Diamondbacks Hi-A affiliate), in Cactus League minor league game action this afternoon at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
The game on Field #6 was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair so that all of the pitchers scheduled to throw today could get their work.
A number of pitchers and position players from the Cubs Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad saw action in the games.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 2-5 (K, K, 1B, 1B, P-6, R, 2 SB)
2. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, BB, HBP, 1B, P-3, R, RBI)
3. Charcer Burks, LF: 2-4 (2B, 3B, F-8, 6-4-3 DP, R, RBI)
4. Kevonte Mitchell, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, 2B, 6-3, 6-3, R, RBI, SB)
5. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 3-3 (1B, 1B, HBP, 2B, R, RBI)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-4 (2B, K, K, F-7)
7a. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (K, F-7, BB)
7b. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (K)
8. Carlos Jimenez, SS: 0-3 (F-8, BB, P-4, E-8)
9. Kevin Brown, RF: 0-4 (6-3, P-6, K, 4-3)
10a. Roberto Vahlis, DH #2: 0-2 (K, 5-3)
10b. Ho-Young Son, PH: 0-1 (K)
10c. Carlos Sepulveda, PH: 0-1 (K)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Ryan McNeil: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/4 GO/FO, 49 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 31 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Carson Sands: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/FO, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Oscar de la Cruz: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
5. Luis Hernandez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 30 pitches (15 strikes)
6. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 6 pitches (4 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 1
P Ryan McNeil - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-3 CS
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Jeffey Baez, RF: 1-5 (2B, K, F-9, L-6, K, R)
2a. Miguel Rico, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 4-3, 1B)
2b. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
3. Gleyber Torres, SS: 0-3 (BB, F-8, 4-3, 5-3)
4. Mark Zagunis, LF: 2-4 (1B, F-9, 1B, F-8, R, RBI, CS)
5a. Jacob Rogers, 1B-DH: 1-3 (L-5, F-8, 2B)
5b. SLOT WAS SKIPPED 4th TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
6. Trey Martin, CF: 2-3 (HR, 2-U, F-8 SF, 1B, 2 R, 2 RBI)
7a. Justin Marra, C: 1-2 (F-8, 2B)
7b. Jordan Hankins, C: 1-2 (K, 3B, RBI)
8. David Bote, 2B-1B: 1-4 (1B, 6-3, K, 5-3, R)
9. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 3-4 (2B, F-8, 1B, 1B, RBI)
10. Tanner Witt, 3B: 0-3 (BB, K, F-9, K)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Jake Stinnett: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 3/6 GO/FO, 61 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Ben Wells: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/4 GO/FO 22 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Sam Wilson: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/FO, 18 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Justin Steele: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/FO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 1
C Jordan Hankins - E-2 (dropped pop fly in foul territory)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
2. Jordan Hankins: 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Arizona Phil 1 min 52 sec ago (view)
KKvG: Just from watching Ronnier Quintero take BP, offensively he reminds me a bit of a very young Carlos Delgado, who started at catcher and then was moved to 1B / DH. Quintero clearly has plus-power in BP, but I don't know yet if it will play in games. That is the $2.9M question.
KingKongvsGodzilla 33 min 34 sec ago (view)
AZPhil! Any impressions of Ronnier Quintero?
Arizona Phil 37 min 20 sec ago (view)
From talking to people in the know out here, the missing level (short-season advanced -- what had been Eugene for the Cubs in the recent past) has messed up things, especially for position players.
It's like there is a gap in the player development pipeline, with players (especially position players) who are clearly too advanced for the AZL (now ACL) but also not quite ready for full-season Lo-A in a kind of development limbo, either in over their heads at full-season Lo-A, or else dominating younger and/or inferior competition in the short-season complex leagues
Wrigley Rat 38 min 58 sec ago (view)
Some injuries that have been announced one way or another include Ben Hecht's TJS on 5/11 and Yovanny Cruz' "arm surgery" due to "forearm discomfort" in early May. Jack Patterson announced that he would miss all of 2021, but be back next year. Jonathan Holder was cleared to begin a throwing program last week, but was not ready for mound work at that time. On June 16th, a Rowan Wick update was "every time he ramped back up, he kept feeling something. he's throwing off a mound again, but it's gonna be a while."
crunch 1 hour 20 min ago (view)
baseball as we know it is under heavy management shifts in every aspect of the minors and even the indie leagues with a common string being pulled by upper MLB leaders.
it's kinda concerning to some people.
Arizona Phil 2 hours 39 min ago (view)
K-DUB: For the first time ever the AZL (now the ACL) is being operated / supervised from outside Arizona, and so there has been some confusion on the ground. A lot of last-minute planning. Lots of TBA / TBD, both within the individual organizations and within the league itself.
Arizona Phil 2 hours 45 min ago (view)
K-DUB: It's just a procedural move to open up slots on the 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
Any player who was placed on the 60-day IL on Minor League Opening Day (5/3) or placed on the 7-day IL on Minor League Opening Day (5/3) and then subsequently was transferred to the 60-day IL is eligible to be reinstated a week from tomorrow (7/2).
As for the type of injuries sustained by the guys who are on the 60-day IL, I would rather not say. I will leave it to the individual player and/or to the Cubs to divulge specific injury information as it relates to a particulart player.
K Dub 5 hours 58 min ago (view)
Can't wait for ACL games to get started on the 28th! (Really wish they'd change the name of the league, though. Bad injury vibes...)
K Dub 6 hours 35 sec ago (view)
PHIL: Are you able to provide any clarifying info on the nature of Kohl Franklin's injury/rehab? I saw you moved him from the 7-day to the 60-day IL. Was that just a procedural move because enough time has passed or is that a sign that he's out for the season? Also, of the guys on the 60-day IL, can you clarify who is definitely out for the season/having surgery and those who might return?
Eric S 11 hours 35 min ago (view)
Great stuff, Charlie - Thanks!
Arizona Phil 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of 25-year old 6'5 260 RHP Adam Heidenfelder from Gary (American Association) and he has been assigned to the ACL Cubs.
Hagsag 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
Does anyone know what type of injury Amaya has?
Hagsag 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
I can not believe what a good 3b he has been playing.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Robert Stock was claimed off waivers by the Mets.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
HR in the 8th. dope.
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
he's back out in the field in the top 3rd...must be okay, but he sure doesn't look confidently healthy. *shrug* off-day tomorrow...