Cain Good, but Giants UnAbel to defeat Mota-vated Pelicans in Scottsdale
Ian Rice drilled a bases-loaded two-run single to spark a three-run 7th and SP Trevor Clifton retired ten of the first eleven men he faced, helping the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) edge the San Jose Giants (Hi-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants) 5-4 on Field #2, and Byron Murray hammered an RBI triple and a single and scored two runs and Lucius Fox (2015 IFA - Bahamas - $6M signing bonus) smacked an RBI double, walked, and scored a run, leading the Augusta Greenjackets (Giants Lo-A affiliate) to an 8-3 victory over the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs), in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action Monday afternoon at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Skyler Ewing and Dillon Dobson each belted a two-run home run in a losing cause for San Jose on Field #2, and Eddy Julio Martinez (2015 IFA - Cuba - $3M signing bonus) singled twice, walked, and drove-in a run in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #1. (EJM has served mostly as the South Bend DH in games so far, but he played RF today).
San Francisco Giants RHSP Matt Cain made the start for San Jose on Field #2 and worked 5.1 IP (92 pitches - 66 strikes), allowing one run on four hits (all four singles) and a walk with five strikeouts and a 5/6 GO/AO.
In Minor League Camp roster news, long-time Cubs minor league INF Jonathan Mota has retired as a player, although he has been working exclusively as a coach with the Myrtle Beach (Hi-A) squad since Minor League Camp opened earlier this month, and will continue to do so going forward.
Now 28, Mota was originally signed by the Cubs as a 16-year old shortstop out of Venezuela in 2003, and over the years he has played in more than 1,000 minor league games for the Cubs, playing at every level (rookie ball through AAA) and every position, but he never made it to The Show. (The closest he got was an NRI to Spring Training with the big club in 2012). He was a minor league 6YFA in each of the last six off-seasons, but each time he re-signed with the Cubs.
Mota was the ultimate "organizational player," a quiet, loyal guy who did whatever he was asked to do without bitching or moaning, moving from one level to another when needed (often without much advance notice), mentoring his younger teammates, and when not needed as a player, he would serve as a 1st base coach, bullpen catcher, batting practice pitcher, and probably the bus driver, as well, all the while staying in playing shape in case he was called to action. He volunteered for the Catcher Conversion Program at Extended Spring Training in 2010 to increase his versatility, and he even had the opportunity to pitch (in a pinch) in seven games over the course of his long career to help save his club's bullpen.
Cubs Spring Training Depth Chart
Minor League Camp Rosters (updated daily)
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (4-3, 4-6-3 DP, BB, K)
2a. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, BB, R, RBI)
2b. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-1 (4-3)
3. Eddy Julio Martinez, RF: 2-3 (1B, BB, 1B, F-9, RBI)
4. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 1-4 (5-3, 1B, F-8, K, RBI)
5. Matt Rose, 3B: 0-3 (6-3, BB, L-7, 6-3)
6. P. J. Higgins, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, K, 6-3, 5-3, PO)
7. Daniel Spingola, DH #2: 2-3 (L-9, 2B, 1B, CS)
8. Blake Headley, 1B: 1-2 (1B, L-4 DP, BB)
9a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, P-4 DP, R)
9b. Tyler Payne, C: NO AB
10. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-8, R)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Adbert Alzolay: 4.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 3 WP, 3/3 GO/AO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Kyle Twomey: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/6 GO/AO, 66 pitches (40 strikes)
3. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: 2
1. P Adbert Alzolay: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. P Kyle Twomey: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-1 CS
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, BB, 6-3, R)
2. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-4 (1B, K, 3-6 FC, K, SB)
3. Ian Happ, 2B: 1-4 (6-3, 4-3, K, 1B, R, RBI)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, 1B:1-4 (K, F-9, 1B, E-6, R)
5. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 1-4 (K, F-9, 2B, F-9, R)
6. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-3 (P-5, 3-1, BB, 3-U, R, RBI)
7a. Ian Rice, C: 2-3 (F-9, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
7b. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (L-7)
8. Andrew Ely, SS: 0-2 (K, 5-3 SH, 6-4-3 DP)
9. Tyler Alamo, DH #2: 0-3 (F-7, K, F-8)
10. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (1B, L-6, K)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 4 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 5/6 GO/AO, 75 pitches (43 strikes)
2. James Farris: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (25 strikes)
3. Michael Wagner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Jasvir Rakkar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (8 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: NONE
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Ian Rice: 0-1 CS
2. Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 16 min 23 sec ago (view)
875K if he makes the team with 600K in performance bonuses possible.
Dolorous Jon Lester 30 min 30 sec ago (view)
Shelby Miller...? Really?
crunch 7 hours 27 min ago (view)
i like the cubs odds on this one.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 22 min ago (view)
Ian Happ arbitration figures are $4.1M (player) and $3.25M (club) with hearing date TBD.
crunch 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 3 days 40 min ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
crunch 3 days 5 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
K Dub 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 3 days 14 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 1 week 9 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.