Kalish Pinch Shot Perfect Elixir for I-Cubs at Fitch
Ryan Kalish launched a lead-off moon-shot pinch-hit home run over the right-centerfield fence and Bijan Rademacher and Willson Contreras contributed RBI singles later in the inning, as the Iowa Cubs (AAA affiliate of the Chicago Cubs) scored three in the 8th to break a 1-1 tie and went on to defeat the Nashville Sounds (Oakland Athletics AAA affiliate) 4-2 on Field #4, and RHSP Daniel Mengden hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with seven strikeouts, Bret Vertigan tripled, singled, walked, and scored three runs, and James Harris drove-in three runs with an RBI double and a two-run single, helping the Midland Rockhounds (A's AA affiliate) blank the Tennessee Smokies (Cubs AA affiliate) 6-0 on Field #4, in Cactus League Minor League doubleheader action Tuesday afternoon at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Willson Contreras collected three hits, scored a run, knocked-in a run, and stole a base, Albert Almora Jr singled, doubled, and walked, and SP Drew Rucinski retired 12 of the first 14 men he faced for the I-Cubs on Field #4.
The game on Field #4 was called after 8-1/2 innings of play.
RHSP Brad Markey had a rough outing for Tennessee on Field #3, allowing five runs on seven hits (five singles, a double, and a triple) and two walks (and no strikeouts) in 4.1 IP.
The Smokies were playing short-handed (four of their guys were assigned to the MLB game at Sloan Park), so four players (OF Luis Ayala, SS Andruw Monasterio, 1B Jose Paniagua, and 2B Edgar Rondon) were moved-up to the Tennessee squad for the day from Eugene/Mesa (the Extended Spring Training group).
Ex-Cub LHP Felix Doubront (currently the Oakland A's #5 starter) came down to Fitch Park from HoHoKam and got the start for Nashville. He worked 3.2 IP and did not allow a run, but he surrendered three hits and three walks along the way, and he needed 81 pitches (of which only 54% were strikes) to record the eleven outs.
John Arguello (Cubs Den) was at Riverview Park for the Lo-A/Hi-A games, and he has game notes and some great pics from there:
And here are the abridged box scores from the AA/AAA games played at Fitch Park (Cubs players only):
1. Bryant Flete, 3B: 0-2 (1B, HBP, 4-3, F-9, SB)
2a. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-2 (K, K)
2b. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-2 (1B, 4-3, CS)
3. Victor Caratini, DH #1: 0-4 (3-U, 4-3, E-6, K)
4a. Anthony Giansanti, DH #2: 0-2 (F-7, F-8)
4b. Jose Paniagua, PH-DH: 1-1 (BB, 2B)
5. Kelly Dugan, LF: 0-4 (1-3, K, P-4, F-7)
6. Mark Zagunis, RF: 0-3 (K, 5-3, 6-3)
7. Danny Lockhart, SS-2B: 1-3 (F-8, 1B, 4-3)
8. Ben Carhart, 1B: 0-3 (6-3, K, L-7)
9. Gioskar Amaya, C: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B)
10. Luis Ayala, CF: 1-3 (K, K, 2B)
1. Brad Markey: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 5 R (5 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 8/5 GO/AO, 65 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Josh Conway: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
3. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
4. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 5 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 36 pitches (20 strikes)
TENNESSEE ERRORS: NONE
TENNESSEE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gioskar Amaya: 0-1 CS
1. John Andreoli, RF: 0-3 (P-4, 5-3, K, BB)
2. Willson Contreras, DH #1: 3-4 (1B, K, 1B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3. Albert Almora Jr, CF: 2-3 (BB, 2B, 1B, F-8)
4. Dan Vogelbach, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, 4-3, 1B, BB, RBI)
5. Jeimer Candelario, 3B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, K)
6. Matt Murton, DH #2: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, 4-3 DP)
7. Ryan Dent, SS: 0-2 (F-7, BB, P-3 DP)
8. Logan Watkins, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, F-8 DP, 3-U)
9a. Arismendy Alcantara, DH #3: 0-1 (3-1)
9b. Taylor Davis, PH: 0-1 (5-3)
9c. Ryan Kalish, PH: 1-1 (HR, R, RBI)
10. David Freitas, C: 1-3 (F-9, 6-3, 1B, R)
11. Juan Carlos Perez, LF: 2-3 (1B, 2B, 5-3)
12a. Drew Rucinski, P: 0-0 (1-3 SH, 2-3 SH)
12b. Bijan Rademacher, PH: 1-1 (1B, R, RBI)
1. Drew Rucinski: 4.1 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/AO, 61 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Corey Black: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Jean Machi: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Andury Acevedo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
5. C. J. Riefenhauser: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
IOWA ERRORS: NONE
IOWA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
David Freitas: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 60's
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 min 58 sec ago (view)
Lots of games where they failed to add on.
Lots of games Strop has single handedly blown, too.
Charlie 36 min 18 sec ago (view)
There are so many candidates. The early season losing streak comes painfully to mind.
Charlie 36 min 46 sec ago (view)
JHey's swing looks like it slipped into groundout mode. That Nico lineout was heartbreaking. :(
Charlie 37 min 27 sec ago (view)
Threw Vanmeter a curve and changeup that both looked great on TV, though Vanmeter didn't offer.
Mike Wellman 2 hours 22 min ago (view)
First thing I'll point to, depending on the final order of finish, is the fact that, for the second year in a row we took the lead off of Hader in the 8th inning of a key late-season game @ Milwaukee & couldn't keep it. The second thing will be the game we led 5-0 after 7 & managed to lose. Nats next face Marlins. Cards come to town licking their chops/beaks to finish us off...
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 28 min ago (view)
They’re toast. Can’t finish games, can’t finish series, and it looks very much like they won’t finish this season.
Hagsag 6 hours 45 min ago (view)
The Cubbies are in a tough situation. If they make the playoffs, they will have earned it!. Enjoy the ride folks.
Eric S 13 hours 11 min ago (view)
Reds win season series 11-8 - possibly the first thing you point to should the Cubs miss the post season
Eric S 13 hours 18 min ago (view)
Long looking swing for JHey ... and Nico - oof
Eric S 13 hours 19 min ago (view)
Heard Len say Descalso’s name and about had a heart attack. Then heard him say “pinch runner” and settled down a bit
Charlie 13 hours 23 min ago (view)
Contreras's receiving didn't do Norwood any favors in that Vanmeter at-bat. And Norwood needed some favors.
Eric S 13 hours 28 min ago (view)
Gotta do better than three hits in nine innings in a start by Mahle - this one is on the bats
crunch 13 hours 33 min ago (view)
4th pitcher of the inning coming in...neat
crunch 13 hours 38 min ago (view)
crunch 13 hours 46 min ago (view)
i'm all about kemp protecting a lead in the last few innings or getting to play after some pinch running, but that dude's bat is getting way too much work. now that getting him starts isn't a priority he's still getting a lot of early shots off the bench at the plate.
i hope to not see him next season.
Eric S 13 hours 48 min ago (view)
Until Russell gets off the concussion protocol and/or Baez returns, Kemp may be the best option at second for defense, but Bote certainly better there defensively than Happ or Zobrist