Young Quintet of Hits Highlights SB Cubs Win at Fitch Park
Jared Young (Cubs 2017 15th round draft pick - Old Dominion) collected five hits (four singles and a double), stole a base, and scored a run, Brandon Hughes (Cubs 2017 16th round draft pick - Michigan State) belted an RBI double and a single, stole a base, and scored a run, Chris Carrier (Cubs 2017 9th round draft pick - U. of Memphis) doubled, singled, reached base on an HBP, and scored a run, and Roberto Caro smacked an RBI double, walked, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the Cubs South Bend Lo-A affiliate to a 6-1 victory over the Beloit Snappers (Oakland Athletics Lo-A affiliate) on Field #3, and Luke Persico (two-run triple) and Luis Barrera (RBI single) drilled consecutive run-scoring hits to cap a five-run 6th, Will Toffey drove-in three runs with a two-run single and a FC, and SP Brendan Butler hurled four innings of shutout ball, as the Stockton Ports (A's Hi-A affiliate) drubbed the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (Cubs Hi-A affiliate) 11-1 on Field #4, in Cactus League Minor League Camp doubleheader game action Friday morning at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #3 was called after eight innings of play.
Austin Upshaw (Cubs 2017 13th round draft pick - Kennesaw State) singled twice and doubled and scored the Pelicans lone run (Chris Pieters RBI single) on Field #6.
RHP Jose Albertos (2015 IFA - Mexico) is considered by most observers to be one of the Cubs top two or three pitching prospects, and he got the start for South Bend on Field #3. Albertos did not allow any runs (maybe I should just leave it at that...), but he did permit eight batters to reach base (three singles, a double, three walks, and an HBP) in just 3.2 IP. His main problem was inability to command any of his pitches (75 pitches - only 51% strikes), especially his CV, which he kept spiking into the ground in front of home plate (giving catcher Michael Cruz quite a work-out in the process). RHRP Manuel Rodriguez had a "mid-game save" in relief, stranding two runners inherited from Albertos in the 4th and retiring the side 1-2-3 in the 5th (F-8, K, K) to preserve the shutout. (The Snappers would later score their one and only run of the game with two outs in the bottom of the 8th).
RHP Keegan Thompson (Cubs 2017 3rd round draft pick - Auburn) got the start for Myrtle Beach on Field #4 and easily retired the first eleven men he faced (4-3, 5-3, 3-U, L-8, K, 4-3, 6-3, F-8, P-6, 6-3, K) before allowing a double, a walk, an HBP, and a two-run single with two outs in the 4th. But he recovered and retired the next four batters to complete his pre-planned five innings of work (73 pitches - 68% strikes). RHP Kyle Miller followed Thompson and had a nightmare outing, walking all four men he faced (all four eventually scored). K. Miller had a similar outing a couple of weeks ago for AA Tennessee (prior to being moved-down to Myrtle Beach) when he walked six in two innings, so don't be too surprised if he is left behind at Extended Spring Training to work on his pitching mechanics/command/control a bit when his Pelican teammates leave town in the next couple or three days.
CF Connor Myers suffered a left leg injury in the top of the 6th on Field #4 after colliding with RF Chris Pieters in right-centerfield while chasing what turned out to be a two-run triple. Myers left the game under his own power (albeit with a noticeable limp), but if you're looking for a candidate to start the season on the Myrtle Beach 7-day DL, Myers just might be your man.
RHP M. T. Minacci (March 2017 non-TJS elbow injury) threw a shutout inning for South Bend in relief. He allowed a single to the first man he faced before inducing a 1-6-3 DP ball and striking out the next batter to retire the side. Minacci has been in the Rehab Throwing Program at Minor League Camp and prior to today hadn't thrown in a game in more than a year, so he will almost certainly be spending the next couple of months at Extended Spring Training while continuing his rehab and competing for a spot in the Eugene bullpen.
As usual, several players (Caro, Donahue, Pena, and Romano) were moved-up from the Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) squad for the day to provide late-inning position-player reinforcements for South Bend and Myrtle Beach.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1a. Zach Davis, CF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
1b. Roberto Caro, PH-CF: 1-2 (BB, 2B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
2a. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-3 (F-7, L-6, 1B, RBI)
2b. Christian Donahue, 2B: 0-1 (K, BB)
3. Jared Young, DH: 5-5 (1B, 1B, 2B, 1B, 1B, R, SB)
4. Austin Filiere, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, 5-4 FC, K, BB, 5-4 FC, R)
5. Miguel Amaya, 1B: 0-4 (F-7, L-6, K, BB, K, R)
6a. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (F-9, 2B, L-3, SF-E9, RBI)
6b. Raymond Pena, C: 0-1 (K)
7. Chris Carrier, LF: 2-3 (2B, 1B, L-7, HBP, R)
8. Brandon Hughes, RF: 2-4 (2B, K, 1B, 4-6 FC, R, 2 RBI, SB)
9. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 0-3 (F-9, 6-3, BB, K)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Jose Albertos: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 6/2 GO/AO, 75 pitches (38 strikes)
2. Manuel Rodriguez: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
3. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Ivan Medina: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 0-1 CS
SOUTH BEND BASERUNNING:
Chris Carrier - thrown out 8-2-4 attempting to advance to 2nd after single
MYRTLE BEACH LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (1-3, 2B, K)
1b. Connor Myers, CF: NO AB
1c. Ramsey Romano, RF: 1-1 (1B)
2a. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-3, HBP)
2b. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (K)
3. Vimael Machin, DH-2B: 0-3 (F-7, F-8, BB, 3-U)
4. Tyler Alamo, C-1B: 0-4 (P-3, 6-3, K, K)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-3 (K, 5-3, K)
6a. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-2 (K, K)
6b. Daniel Spingola, LF: 0-1 (K)
7. Austin Upshaw, 1B-DH: 3-3 (1B, 1B, 2B, R, CS)
8. Chris Pieters, RF-CF: 1-3 (3-1, F-9, 1B, RBI)
9. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, K)
MYRTLE BEACH PITCHERS:
1. Keegan Thompson: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 7/4 GO/AO, 73 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Kyle Miller: 0.0 IP, 0 H, 4 R (4 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 24 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jhon Romero: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Wyatt Short: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Chad Hockin: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
MYRTLE BEACH ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Andruw Monasterio: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Tyler Alamo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
MYRTLE BEACH CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Alamo: 1-1 CS
2. Jhonny Pereda: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"