Hudson Dominates South Bend at Riverview
SP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of shutout ball with seven strikeouts and Josue Huma singled twice, doubled, scored a run, and drove-in another, as the Eugene/Mesa Cubs (soon to be the Cubs Extended Spring Training squad) blanked the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Cubs) 4-0 in Minor League Spring Training game action Saturday afternoon on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a seven-inning contest.
The majority of the Myrtle Beach Pelicans were excused from having to play in the game so that they could prepare for their trip Sunday to South Carolina (the Pelicans open their season Tuesday night in an exhibition game versus Charleston Southern University), but the three MB pitchers who were scheduled to throw on Saturday (Hudson, Peyton, and King) did pitch in the game, albeit with the youngsters from the Eugene/Mesa squad playing behind them (and it turned out to be a winning combination, too!).
Meanwhile the South Bend Cubs continue to struggle at the plate, striking out nine more times for a total of 29 strikeouts and only one run scored in their last 18 innings over the past two days.
In South Bend Cubs roster news, RHSP Yovanny Cruz has been moved-down to Eugene/Mesa from the South Bend squad.
And so this is the South Bend Cubs provisional Opening Day roster (27 players - two players over the 25 man Opening Day roster limit):
STARTING PITCHERS: Faustino Carrera, Derek Casey, Eury Ramos, Cam Sanders, and Riley Thompson
PIGGY-BACK STARTER: Brailyn Marquez
BULLPEN: Dalton Geekie, Ryan Lawlor, Riley McCauley, Zach Mort, Eugenio Palma, Jeffrey Passantino, Peyton Remy, and Ethan Roberts
CATCHERS: Eric Gonzalez, Rafelin Lorenzo, and Gustavo Polanco
INFIELDERS: Tyler Durna, Levi Jordan, Fidel Mejia, Rafael Narea, Andy Weber, and Delvin Zinn
OUTFIELDERS: D. J. Artis, Cole Roederer, Jonathan Sierra, and Nelson Velazquez
One pitcher and one position player will need to be taken off the roster prior to Opening Day.
Here is the box score from the game:
EUGENE/MESA CUBS LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 2B, K, 6-4 FC, R, CS)
2. Josue Huma, SS: 3-3 (1B, 2B, 1B, R, RBI, PO)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-3 (4-1, K, F-8)
4. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (BB, F-7, BB)
5. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-3 (F-7, 5-3, 6-4 FC)
6. Luis Diaz, 2B: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, F-9, R, SB)
7. Dalton Hurd, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, RBI)
8. Brandon Vicens, LF: 1-3 (L-8, 2B, F-8, R)
9. Danny Zardon, DH: 2-3 (K, 1B, 1B, RBI, CS)
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. D. J. Artis, LF: 1-2 (BB, 1B, K)
2. Cole Roederer, DH #1: 0-2 (6-3 DP, BB, 3-1)
3. Andy Weber, SS: 0-3 (K, 4-6-3 DP, 5-3)
4. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (1-3, K, K)
5. Nelson Velazquez, CF: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, CS)
6. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
7. Tyler Durna, DH #2: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
8. Rafelin Lorenzo, C: 1-2 (K, 2B)
9. Gustavo Polanco, 1B:1-2 (1B, L-6, SB)
10. Levi Jordan, 2B: 0-2 (K, F-8)
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 2 GIDP, 5/0 GO/AO, 74 pitches (43 strikes)
2. Tyler Peyton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Brendan King: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Eury Ramos: 5.0 IP, 8 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 2/6 GO/AO, 71 pitches (48 strikes)
2. Peyton Remy: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Jeffrey Passantino: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
EUGENE/MESA ERRORS: NONE
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE/MESA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 1-2 CS
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Rafelin Lorenzo: 2-3 CS
SOUTH BEND OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Jonathan Sierra - batter (Dalton Hurd) thrown out 9-3-6 attempting to advance to 2nd base on RBI single to RF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
KingKongvsGodzilla 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
AZPhil, thank you for these updates! It's a nice little pick me up during this dumb year. If you have anything to say on Yohendrick Pinango, Joel Machado, Rafael Morel, or Richard Gallardo, I would love to hear it! Thanks again!
crunch 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
jim hickey new nats pitching coach.
bradsbeard 2 days 14 hours ago (view)
Several non-prospects ate up spots as well. Ultimately wish they had given a few more Rivas types a shot there.
tim815 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
Only 60 spots in SB. Others benefited more from the time.
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
not phil, but i think everyone is holding off on his potential ceiling until he gains enough weight to not look like someone you want to buy a sandwich every time you see him.
big upside if his skills can strengthen as he builds his body.
too early for a solid comp, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable throwing ian happ's name around (bit better arm than happ, though).
bradsbeard 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Me too. Thought it was weird he wasn't in South Bend at all.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 53 min ago (view)
I am very, very intrigued by Rivas. If the DH is unfortunately here to stay, he's a prime candidate for that and give Rizzo a day off 1B here and there. If no DH, hopefully he is a passable OF. Big believer in his hitting ability
Hagsag 3 days 3 hours ago (view)
Phil, do you think Chris Morel is the real deal?
tim815 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
Blue and Red DSL instructs rosters. No Brayan Altuve.
crunch 3 days 19 hours ago (view)
yup, they're gonna try. starts in about a month.
Hagsag 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
Has it been announced whether there will be a DR winter league this winter?
tim815 4 days 8 hours ago (view)
That's as good of news as we'll get for awhile.
Arizona Phil 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
TIM: If nothing else, signing a boatload of IFA (35) in the 2019-20 ISP is a pretty good indicator that the Cubs fully intend to run two DSL teams into the forseeable future.
tim815 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
Of the 11 new guys, I'm leaning on Marino Sandy and Jerry Torres to be the most likely to reach full-season ball or get traded
Arizona Phil 4 days 13 hours ago (view)
OF Ian Miller (outrighted to the minors on 9/3) elected free-agency just prior to the 10/15 deadline, and the Cubs have signed RHRP Juan Gamez (who they released on 9/9) to a 2021 minor league contract.
bigsky33 5 days 18 hours ago (view)
Phil, were you watching from outside the stadium?