Kevin Moreno Carries the Day at Riverview
Kevin Moreno knocked in four runs with a two-run HR, an RBI single, and a sacrifice fly, stole a base, and scored two runs, Brennen Davis doubled twice, stole a base, and drove-in a run, Clayton Daniel tripled, walked, scored two runs, and collected an RBI with a sacrifice fly, Christopher Morel singled, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and SP Javier Assad hurled 4.2 IP of one-run ball, leading the Eugene/Mesa Cubs (soon to be the Cubs Extended Spring Training squad) to 9-3 thrashing of the South Bend Cubs (Lo-A affiliate of the Cubs) in Minor League Spring Training game action Sunday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Javier Assad was left behind when his Myrtle Beach teammates left town today so that he could get his scheduled work (he will likely start for the Pelicans next Saturday or Sunday).
Kevin Moreno is from Cuba and is in the U. S. on a work visa (he is - NOT - a defector). The 18 year old's favorite MLB player is Kris Bryant and his father's favorite MLB team is the Cubs (and that was the case before Kevin signed with the Cubs a little over a year ago), and just by observing his batting stance, his mannerisms on the field, and the way he carries himself, it is clear that he has been studying KB very closely.
Here is the box score from the game:
SOUTH BEND LINEUP:
1. D. J. Artis, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, P-5, K)
2. Cole Roederer, CF: 1-3 (3-U, 1B, BB, K, R, CS)
3. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, E-6, 2 R)
4. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 2-3 (2B, 2B, K, RBI)
5. Tyler Durna, 1B: 0-2 (L-4, K, BB)
6. Andy Weber, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, E-4, RBI)
7. Nelson Velazquez, CF: 0-2 (5-4-3 DP, 6-3, BB)
8. Delvin Zinn, 3B: 0-3 (5-3, F-8, K)
9a. Eric Gonzalez, C: 0-1 (K, BB)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, C: 0-1 (5-3)
10. Rafael Narea, 2B: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, 5-3)
1. Edmond Americaan, CF: 1-3 (F-7, 6-3. 1B, R, 2 SB)
2. Brennen Davis, RF: 2-3 (K, 2B, 2B, RBI, SB)
3. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-2 (3B, 5-3, BB)
4. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, HBP, 4-3, CS)
5. Christopher Morel, 3B: 2-3 (2B, 6-3, 1B, 2 R, SB)
6a. Jonathan Soto, C: 0-2 (5-3, L-8)
6b. Caleb Knight, C: 1-1 (2B, R, RBI)
7. Clayton Daniel, 2B: 1-1 (3B, BB, F-9 SF, 2 R, RBI)
8. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-0 (HBP, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
9. Kevin Moreno, LF: 2-2 (F-7 SF, 1B, HR, 2 R, 4 RBI, SB)
10. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-1 (F-8, BB, BB)
11. Raymond Pena, DH #3: 0-3 (K, P-4 DP, F-8)
12. Orian Nunez, DH #4: 0-1 (6-3)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
SOUTH BEND PITCHERS:
1. Riley Thompson: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 5/4 GO/AO, 66 pitches (38 strikes)
2. Yunior Perez: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 0/1 GO/AO, 37 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Zach Mort: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 2/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (21 strikes)
1. Javier Assad: 4.2 IP, 6 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 5/3 GO/AO, 72 pitches (50 strikes)
2. Kohl Franklin: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Jose Albertos: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 32 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Maikel Aguiar: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
SOUTH BEND ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE/MESA ERRORS: 2
1. SS Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Clayton Daniel: E-4 (errant toss on attempted 4-6 FC allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)
SOUTH BEND CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Eric Gonzalez: 1-1 CS
2. Gustavo Polanco: 0-5 CS
EUGENE/MESA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jonathan Soto: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Jackstraw 1 hour 48 min ago (view)
Thanks, AZ Phil
Craig A. 6 hours 33 min ago (view)
If the cardinals loose and the giants win, the cardinals will have to play and win on Monday to make the playoffs.
crunch 9 hours 50 sec ago (view)
...and dodger stadium loses power.
Charlie 10 hours 8 min ago (view)
Game 2 somewhat less fun than game 1.
crunch 11 hours 19 min ago (view)
lester goes out with a whimper...7 runs given up in his last start
5.16era/1.33whip on the year.
Arizona Phil 11 hours 20 min ago (view)
JACKSTRAW: The Cardinals & Tigers will only play the first game of Monday's doubleheader (and it will be a seven-inning game) if what needs to be determined is determined by the result of the first game (the second game will be canceled), but they won't play the games at all (and the Cardinals won't go to Detroit) if everything that is affected by the two missing STL games is settled and resolved by end of MLB play on Sunday.
crunch 12 hours 41 min ago (view)
crunch 14 hours 35 min ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / heyward / bryant / schwarber / baez / kipnis / caratini(DH)
bryant's back, and at 3rd. neat.
Jackstraw 16 hours 20 min ago (view)
I don't know if the math works out but (at least to me) it raises the possibility that they would play one game on Monday and if that decided what was left that they'd skip game 2.
Arizona Phil 20 hours 48 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to play the doubleheader on Monday at Detroit if either the games impact who or who does not get into the playoffs, or if the games will determine whether the Cards or Cubs finish 1st in the division and get home field advantage in the Wild Card series.
Charlie 22 hours 1 min ago (view)
Maybe he should stick with it for a while.
Hagsag 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Cardinals have two games left with Detroit, not the Cubs.
blockhead25 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Ahh, 2 games against the Tigers, but seems to imply they'd only play those games if it will impact which teams make the playoffs. If the Cardinals win their last 2, I don't believe the other games could impact which Team makes it. Why would Detroit have any incentive to win those games? Well, hope the Cubs won one of the next 2 so it doesn't matter.
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
yeah, it may be another team. i just know they have a possible monday double header...unless i got that wrong, too.
blockhead25 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Cubs? We played the cards the full 10 slate?
if Cards make playoffs, I would think they'd want nothing to do with having to play a double header Monday to improve playoff seeding.
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
the cubs may or may not have to play a doubleheader vs STL on monday depending on the next game or 2...i think