Carrera Fires Five Blanks at Riverview
SP Faustino Carrera tossed five shutout innings, Kevin Moreno belted a solo HR (his second round-tripper in two days), Dalton Hurd doubled twice, walked, scored two runs, and threw out a runner on the bases, and Orian Nunez smacked a two-run triple, in Cubs Minor League Camp intrasquad game action Monday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning contest so that all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw could get their work.
Faustino Carrera was left behind at Minor League Camp to make his scheduled start for Squad "B" while his teammates were en route to South Bend. (Carrera isn't scheduled to make his first regular season start for the SB-Cubs until next Sunday).
Oscar de la Cruz made the start for Squad "A" and pitched four innings (45 pitches), allowing one run on two hits and no walks, with six strikeouts. The Cubs are keeping ODLC simmering slowly on the back-burner for the time being, but he will get his innings and pitch count ramped up to five innings and 70-80 pitches later this month as he gets closer to the end of his 80-game PED suspension.
Here is the box score from the game:
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Edmond Americaan, RF: 2-3 (1B, P-5, BB, 1B, 2 PO)
2. Brennen Davis, CF: 0-3 (BB, K, 5-3, K, CS)
3. Luis Vazquez, 2B: 1-4 (K, 2B, K, K)
4. Christopher Morel, SS: 2-4 (1B, P-2, 1B, F-8, PO)
5a. Richard Nunez, C: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5b. Jonathan Soto, C: 0-2 (F-8, L-8)
6. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 1-4 (F-9, 1-3, 1-3, 1B)
7. Clayton Daniel, 3B: 0-2 (5-3, L-8, BB)
8. Kevin Moreno, LF: 2-3 (F-8, HR, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Caleb Knight, DH #1: 0-2 (K, BB, K, CS)
10. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 1-3 (5-3, 2B, L-3 DP)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-4 (4-3, K, 4-3, 6-3)
2. Josue Huma, SS: 1-4 (K, E-4, 1B, 3-U, 2 PO)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
4. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 1-4 (K, P-6, K, 2B)
5. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-4 (L-9, K, K, K)
6. Luis Diaz, 3B: 0-2 (K, 4-3, BB, PO)
7. Dalton Hurd, RF: 2-2 (2B, BB, 2B, 2 R, SB)
8. Brandon Vicens, 1-2 (1B, K, BB, R, SB)
9. Raymond Pena, C-DH: 0-3 (K, E-6, 5-3)
10. Orian Nunez, DH-C: 1-3 (1-3, 1-6-3 DP, 3B, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Pena and O. Nunez switched slots third time thru batting order
11. Danny Zardon, DH #3: 1-1 (1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 6 K, 1 PO, 2/3 GO/AO, 45 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 27 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Carlos Vega: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2 PO, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Sean Barry: 1.1 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Faustino Carrera: 5.0 IP, 3 H,. 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 PO, 4/4 GO/AO, 2 PO, 57 pitches (36 strikes)
2. Alfredo Colorado: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jack Patterson: 2.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 27 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Niels Stone: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 0/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Luis Vazquez: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Christopher Morel: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
EUGEBNE/MESA SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Richard Nunez: 0-2 CS
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Raymond Pena: 2-2 CS
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" OUTFIELD ASSIST:
RF Dalton Hurd: Batter (Jake Slaughter) thrown out 9-6 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
QuietMan 1 hour 45 min ago (view)
Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,
George Altman 2 hours 2 sec ago (view)
Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.
Mike Wellman 4 hours 8 min ago (view)
I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 30 min ago (view)
Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!
i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.
Charlie 5 hours 2 min ago (view)
Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.
He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.
That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 39 min ago (view)
Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.
crunch 18 hours 22 min ago (view)
cubs lose, cards win, brews win.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 8 min ago (view)
I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.
Charlie 20 hours 17 min ago (view)
Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?
Dolorous Jon Lester 21 hours 16 min ago (view)
I feel pretty safe in saying that 1. They don’t want him and 2. If they did, things wouldn’t improve for CJ.
Allowing inherited runners and 1-2 of your own in a close game is what I like to call the “Carl Jr Special.” It was formerly a Justin Grimm special, thankfully Carl stepped up to fill that void.
crunch 21 hours 24 min ago (view)
there's always nick castellanos for a chance to rid of edwards...at which point a couple month rental will probably turn edwards into their ace closer or something just as awesome.
Eric S 21 hours 25 min ago (view)
The bitter side of me thinks it should have been a two for one trade for Maldonado
Anyways, has not been a clean series for the Cubs against the Padres - fortunate to have won the series and a 7-2 home stand is a pretty big dill. Or deal. Or something
crunch 21 hours 30 min ago (view)
edwards gonna edwards...blah
bradsbeard 22 hours 58 min ago (view)
Thanks for the clarification. Guess we’ll find out what he’s going to do sooner than later.
crunch 1 day 2 min ago (view)
delay over, game on.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
And if Zobrist were to consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors for the purpose of getting into playing shape, it could very well be to AA Tennessee (close to his home in Nashville) rather than to AAA Iowa. He might even just play home games for the Smokies and then work out on his own while they are on the road.