Russell & Tseng in Action but Morel & Soto Go Deep at Riverview
Christopher Morel and Jonathan Soto stroked two-run home runs in Cubs Minor League Camp intrasquad game action Tuesday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Addison Russell (who is serving a 40-game suspension for violation of the MLB-MLBPA joint DV policy) played SS for three innings and went 2-3 with two singles and a strikeout (swinging).
Jen-Ho Tseng started the game for SQUAD "B" but was removed from the game in the 3rd inning. Colin Rea (who had started the game and pitched the first two innings for "SQUAD "A") relieved Tseng and pitched the 3rd inning for SQUAD "B." Tseng had been left behind in Mesa when his Iowa teammates left town so that he could stay in his rotation slot and get his scheduled work (he was not projected to make his first start for Iowa until next Sunday or Monday), but based upon his performance today (three runs on five hits -- three singles and two doubles, three walks, a HBP, and a WP, and only 50% strikes, in just two innings of work), that might now be in doubt.
The game was called in the middle of the 6th inning after all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the game got their work.
Here is the box score from the game:
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Addison Russell, SS: 2-3 (1B+E6, 1B, K, R)
NOTE: Russell batted 3rd in the top of the 1st inning, 5th in the 3rd, and 3rd in the 4th
1a. Edmond Americaan, RF: 1-3 (5-3, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
1b. Richard Nunez, PH: 0-1 (K)
2. Brennen Davis, CF: 1-2 (5-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
3. Luis Vazquez, DH-SS: 1-2 (BB, 2B, 1-3, 2 RBI, CS)
4. Christopher Morel, DH #2: 1-1 (HBP, HR, BB, R, 2 RBI)
5. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 0-1 (K, HBP, HBP)
6. Clayton Daniel, 2B: 1-2 (1B, P-4, BB, R, RBI, CS)
7. Kevin Moreno, LF 0-2 (BB, K, F-8)
8. Raymond Pena, 1B-DH: 1-3 (L-7, E-5, 2B, R)
NOTE: R. Pena and K. Moreno switched slots second time thru batting order
9. Henderson Perez, C-DH: 0-3 (K, 5-3, F-9)
10. Danny Zardon, DH-C: 1-2 (2B, BB, F-8, R)
NOTE: Zardon and H. Perez switched slots second time thru batting order
11. Jonathan Soto, DH-1B: 1-1 (BB, HR, R, 2 RBI, CS)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first time thru batting order
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2. Josue Huma, SS: 1-2 (1B, 1-3-5 DP, RBI)
3. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Jesse Hodges, DH-3B: 0-2 (5-3, L-5)
5. Luis Diaz, 3B-DH: 0-1 (6-3, BB, R, SB)
6. Alexander Guerra, DH #2: 0-1 (P-2, BB)
7. Dalton Hurd, RF: 0-1 (K, BB)
8. Brandon Vicens, LF: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, RBI)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-2 (K, 5-4-3 DP)
10. Orian Nunez, DH #3: 0-1 (K)
11. Caleb Knight, C: 1-1 (2B, R)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Colin Rea: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 34 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Ivan Medina: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Danis Correa: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (13 strikes)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jen-Ho Tseng: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 44 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Colin Rea: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 0/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Carlos Ocampo: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 2/0 GO/AO, 33 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Pablo Ochoa: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (23 strikes)
COMBINED PITCHER (pitched for SQUAD"A" & SQUAD "B"):
Colin Rea: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 5 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP, 2/2 GO/AO, 58 pitches (36 strikes)
NOTE: Rea pitched 1st & 2nd innings for for SQUAD "A", then 3rd inning for SQUAD "B"
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Josue Huma: E-6 (errant throw to 1st base on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. 3B Luis Diaz: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Henderson Perez: 1 PB
2. Danny Zardon: 0-1 CS
EUGENE/MESA SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Caleb Knight: 3-5 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Arizona Phil 2 hours 3 min ago (view)
jdrnym: Zack Short is still on Optional Assignment to the minors (as are Alzolay, M. Amaya, R. Garcia, Maples, T. Miller, Norwood, Rea, M. Rodriguez, and Steele), but he can be recalled at any time without restriction (no "ten-day rule") because he was optioned to the minors prior to the transaction freeze in March.
crunch 6 hours 26 min ago (view)
the toles update is worse than his troubled past. toles has been diagnosed bipolar + schizophrenia and has been in/out of institutions over the past couple years. he can't seem to stick to any program long enough to get good treatment.
hope he turns whatever corner he needs to in order to get enough treatment to decide what kind of future he'd like to have.
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 16 min ago (view)
Those two are definitely on more precarious ground once the roster is trimmed to 26, I would say.
jdrnym 9 hours 19 min ago (view)
Right, just went through the roster quick. Underwood, Sadler, same deal.
Dolorous Jon Lester 11 hours 35 min ago (view)
Can't answer the Short thing. But I'd agree with your assessment of Mills if he weren't basically a lock to make the roster.
jdrnym 11 hours 42 min ago (view)
Is Zack Short's official designation still "on optional assignment" even though he's not on the Pool? If so, he can't just be recalled even though he's on the 40-man roster, right?
And someone like Alec Mills who's on the Pool and out of options... he's virtually locked onto the active roster because he can't get taken off (via an outright) and remain eligible to be re-added. Seems like the kind of player you'd prefer to leave off the initial Pool.
crunch 12 hours 7 min ago (view)
though he went to the hospital for treatment he was never admitted, so he's yet another person who got dragged hard by Covid, but who's case isn't showing up in the hospital admission, ICU bed, or death numbers most of us are looking at.
there's a whole slew of people who have had to shut down their lives for 2-4-6-etc weeks to get over this that are falling outside of the numbers we're tracking most closely.
Cubster 12 hours 36 min ago (view)
"In yet another reminder of how insidious this particular disease can be, Hottovy says he had acted quite cautiously in public before coming down with it. Fortunately, he was able to self-isolate and avoid transmitting it to his family."
crunch 13 hours 47 min ago (view)
it'll be interesting to see how things go down when people have to start playing games in AZ. they're damn close to being "early NYC level" screwed with a lack of planning and action.
with the early plan of playing games in AZ/FL, they could have been huge economic winners with 15+ teams playing all their games in AZ (and spring training 2.0). now it's looking like some teams may not even want to fly into AZ for a few dozen "away" games.
crunch 14 hours 3 min ago (view)
cubs pitching coach tommy hottovy was diagnosed with covid-19 earlier this spring, but he is currently assumed fully recovered.
he had a 100+ degree temperature for 6 days, lost 18 pounds, and it took 30 days for him to test negative.
he's 38 years old, btw.
Hagsag 21 hours 2 min ago (view)
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
at least the cubs got elston back for pretty much nothing. also, ha.
Rob Richardson 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
How many coachs, managers, and other "tier 1" individuals around the league are in higher risk groups?
Rob Richardson 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Well said Crunch.
Hagsag 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
I have one question for AZ Phil, what the hell are you going to do with yourself until there is some type of Instructional League begins in the Fall?