Cubs @ Atlanta: Lester vs. Teheran (Game 5)

CHC (1-3): LHP Jon Lester
ATL (1-3): RHP Julio Teheran
First pitch: 6:20pmCST

We are only four games into the season. Yet, three painful losses in a row have emphasized some questions about the team: Who will step up in the bullpen? How much of the starting rotation is on the decline? Why do I even watch baseball?

Jon Lester owns the only Cubs' win so far. He pitched six innings allowing 2 runs when the Cubs celebrated the return of baseball with a 12-4 rout of the Rangers. In 9 career starts against ATL, Lester has gone 6-2 with a 2.48 ERA. Freddie Freeman, Brian McCann, and Matt Joyce all have their OPS over 1.000 against Lester in their careers.

Julio Teheran took a loss on opening day against the Phillies (5 IP, 3 ER). He's 3-1 in 8 career starts against the Cubs with a 3.44 ERA. Few current Cubs have done much against him: Schwarber is 3-7 and Almora is 1-2 with a HR.

A solid win would do a lot to wash away the memory of the embarrassing series opener. I assume everyone spent the off day breaking in new gloves.

Enjoy the game, and hang out on if you are looking for some company! I'm going to try it out on mobile tonight.

Comments

zobrist(RF)/bryant/rizzo/baez/schwarb/contreras/descalso(2nd)/lester/heyward(CF)

it seems we're on a streak of doing that "pitcher 8th" thing again.

j.heyward has GIDP 5 times in 5 games.  neat.

But he mixed it up this time. A 3-6-3 instead of a 4-6-3.

that's why he gets the big bucks

My hottest take is that Jason Heyward needs to strike out more.

It's like running Cody Parkey out there for eight years.

I have lawyers looking for an escape clause in my fan contract.

this pen is a big bag of mashed up assholes.

That is rather insulting to mashed up assholes.  hmmm, is it too early for a hot dog.

ha.

quite honestly, though the pen could have been upgraded better this offseason i don't have that much of an issue with it.  that said, at this point i have no idea who i would trust to bring into a close/tied game with men on to put out that fire.

part of me realizes the cubs have a very high payroll (#2 i think), so i don't feel cheated as a fan...but it would have been nice to pick up some pen parts that are more than low-priced free agent gambles.

The front office has denied that the early bullpen struggles will affect their strategy. But I wonder if behind the scenes there are arguments about whether they should be pursuing Kimbrel.

Fun start to the season. Good baseball.

• QuietMan 1 hour 11 min ago (view)

Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,

• George Altman 1 hour 26 min ago (view)

Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.

• Mike Wellman 3 hours 34 min ago (view)

I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 56 min ago (view)

Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!

i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.

• Charlie 4 hours 28 min ago (view)

Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.

He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.

That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.

• Arizona Phil 12 hours 5 min ago (view)

Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.

• crunch 17 hours 48 min ago (view)

cubs lose, cards win, brews win.

boo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 34 min ago (view)

I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.

• Charlie 19 hours 43 min ago (view)

Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 42 min ago (view)

I feel pretty safe in saying that 1. They don’t want him and 2. If they did, things wouldn’t improve for CJ.

Allowing inherited runners and 1-2 of your own in a close game is what I like to call the “Carl Jr Special.” It was formerly a Justin Grimm special, thankfully Carl stepped up to fill that void.

• crunch 20 hours 50 min ago (view)

there's always nick castellanos for a chance to rid of edwards...at which point a couple month rental will probably turn edwards into their ace closer or something just as awesome.

• Eric S 20 hours 51 min ago (view)

The bitter side of me thinks it should have been a two for one trade for Maldonado

Anyways, has not been a clean series for the Cubs against the Padres - fortunate to have won the series and a 7-2 home stand is a pretty big dill. Or deal. Or something

• crunch 20 hours 56 min ago (view)

edwards gonna edwards...blah

• bradsbeard 22 hours 24 min ago (view)

Thanks for the clarification. Guess we’ll find out what he’s going to do sooner than later.

• crunch 23 hours 28 min ago (view)

delay over, game on.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

And if Zobrist were to consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors for the purpose of getting into playing shape, it could very well be to AA Tennessee (close to his home in Nashville) rather than to AAA Iowa. He might even just play home games for the Smokies and then work out on his own while they are on the road.