Baez and Victorino in Action at Riverview
Shane Victorino (calf strain) singled twice and doubled and Javy Baez (thumb contusion) belted an RBI double and scored a run in Minor League Camp intrasquad game action this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #5 was called after 5-1/2 innings, and the game on Field #6 was stopped after 7-1/2 innings of play.
The game on Field #5 started and ended before the game on Field #6, allowing Victorino to move between the four teams and the two fields and collect a total of five Plate Appearances (P-2, 2B, 1B, 1B, E-4). He also stole a base and was caught stealing.
Baez played LF for two innings in the game on Field #6 and batted three times, once in each of the first three innings. He belted a double off the LF fence and scored in the 1st, flied out to the warning track in LF in the 2nd (a 12-pitch AB), and was hit on the helmet in his third PA (but left the field under his own power).
The #4 starters for the four Cubs full-season affiliates (Pierce Johnson, Tyler Skulina, Erick Leal, and Carson Sands) were the starting pitchers in the two games. The four were left behind to get their scheduled work when their teammates left town yesterday.
In Minor League Camp roster news, C Erick Castillo was moved-up to Myrtle Beach from Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) and OF Trey Martin was sent to Extended Spring Training (injury rehab) from Myrtle Beach, 1B-OF Kelly Dugan and RHP Cole Brocker were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from AA Tennessee, and RHP Pedro Araujo, RHP Kyle Miller, LHP Jose Paulino, LHP Tyler Peitzmeier, and RHP Alexander Santana were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from South Bend.
A total of 15 players have arrived at Minor League Camp from the Cubs Dominican Academy over the past few days, including INF Aramis Ademan, INF Jhonny Bethencourt, RHP Hector Garcia, OF Jose Gonzalez, RHP Jose Leidenz, 3B Rafael Mejia, SS Rafael Narea, LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, SS-2B Yeiler Peguero, SS Yonathan Perlaza, OF Ruben Reyes, OF Abraham Rodriguez, RHP Andri Rondon, and OF Jonathan Sierra, and they will be participating in Cubs Extended Spring Training.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (P-2, 2B, R)
NOTE: Victorino led-off the top of the 3rd and top of the 4th innings
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-3 (K, K, L-6)
2. Rafael Narea, SS: 1-2 (BB, 2B, K, R, RBI)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-9)
4. Ricardo Marcano, 3B: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, K)
5. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (2B, F-8, R, SB)
6. Eric Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C-DH 0-2 (K, K)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
9. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-1 (1B, SB)
NOTE: Victorino batted 4th in the bottom of the 5th inning
1. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 1-3 (1B, E-3, F-9)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 3B, R)
3. Yohan Matos, LF: 1-2 (P-3 DP, F-7 SF, 1B, 2 RBI)
4. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, L-4, K)
5. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, K)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, K)
7. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-2 (4-3, 6-4 FC, R)
8. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 0-0 (BB, BB, R)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
Pierce Johnson: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 2/6 GO/AO, 95 pitches (57 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
Erick Leal: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/8 GO/AO, 82 pitches (55 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1 PB
SQUAD "C" LINEUP:
X-1. Javier Baez, LF: 1-2 (2B, F-7, HBP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Baez batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
X-2 Aramis Ademan, PR: NO AB
NOTE: Ademan ran for Baez in the 3rd after HBP
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-4 (K, 4-3,1B, F-9, RBI, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 2B, K, 4-3, R)
3. Ricardo Marcano, DH-LF: 0-2 (F-9, K, BB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, 5-3, F-8, E-6)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, 4-6-3 DP, RBI)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, 2B, 4-3, 5-3)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, 6-3)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, 5-4 FC, BB)
9. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, 3B, 6-3, R, CS)
SQUAD "D" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, CS)
NOTE: Victorino led-off bottom of the 1st and 2nd innings
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (F-7, 3B, 1-3, BB)
2. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 1-4 (F-7, K, 2B, F-8)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, 3-U, BB, CS)
4. Kelly Dugan 1B: 0-2 (BB, 3-1, 3-U, BB, R, SB)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, F-8, 2B, RBI)
6. Michael Foster, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, F-9 DP)
7. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 0-3 (4-3 DP, E-3, K)
8. Tyler Payne, C: 0-2 (L-8, BB, K)
SQUAD ":C" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 3 WP, 4/6 GO/AO, 88 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 43 pitches (18 strikes)
SQUAD "D" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/1 GO/AO, 88 pitches (54 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 3.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 6/2 GO/AO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
SQUAD "C" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Vimael Machin: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "D" ERRORS: 1
SS Jhonny Bethancourt: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "C" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 2-3 CS
SQUAD "D" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 1-2 CS
SQUAD "C" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Alex Bautista - runner doubled off 2nd base 9-6
WEATHER: Sunny with temperarures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 13 min ago (view)
I understand why it feels unsettling. I remember the series well (though I, unlike Theo, actually was in high school). Anyway, I view it as a chance to right previous wrongs in the same way we stomped StL out of the playoffs in 2015, or the way the Nationals got to burn through two teams last year that had dumped them out of October in previous seasons.
But if we lose, of course that was 17 years ago so it's two extremely different organizations.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 14 min ago (view)
DJL: All players on Optional Assignment to the minors must be recalled on the day after the conclusion of the MLB regular season, even if the player has not spent at least ten days on Optional Assignment. Players cannot be optioned to the minors again until Spring Training.
Arizona Phil 8 hours 35 min ago (view)
CHAMP: No option year is spent just by calling up a player to MLB. An option year is spent only if a player on an MLB 40-man roster is optioned to the minors for at least 20 days in a given season.
Also, Brailyn Marquez is (was) eligible for selection in the Rule 5 Draft in December, so the Cubs were going to add him to the 40 on 11/20 anyway. They just did it a couple of months early.
bradsbeard 11 hours 45 min ago (view)
Not sure if serious, but Theo became the Red Sox GM in 2002. It's true though, there probably aren't many people in the organization besides Ricketts and Crane Kenney who have any strong feelings about that series.
Craig A. 12 hours 43 min ago (view)
I wonder if anyone on the Cubs cares or even remembers the odd events when the Marlins played the Cubs in 2003. I think Theo was in high school. To this old fart it will be more than a little unsettling to watch this post-season match-up. At least we can be fairly certain there will no fans grabbing for foul balls.
bradsbeard 16 hours 11 min ago (view)
Which is kind of annoying. Nobody really picked the Cubs to win this division pre-season. I guess Mattingly gets some credit for guiding the Marlins through their positives but even just letting them play that one game with half the team sick should knock him out of consideration. Meanwhile Ross kept a tight ship and the Cubs has no positives all year. I'd say Ross or Tingler should get it over Mattingly.
crunch 17 hours 28 min ago (view)
cubs finish 34-26 (1st, division)...they play MIA on wednesday.
good start for d.ross, but the manager of the year is most likely going to d.mattingley (MIA) or j.tingler(SD).
crunch 18 hours 5 min ago (view)
...or he won't make it out of the 8th
0.2ip 2h 3bb 1k, 5r/er...2 wild pitches
there's some great stuff in that arm. mid/high-80s slider, "changeup" around 90mph, fastball 97-99mph...all effortless. 21 years old and never pitched above A-ball.
crunch 18 hours 11 min ago (view)
crunch 18 hours 15 min ago (view)
rough debut...doubt we're going to see him in the 9th.
Charlie 18 hours 22 min ago (view)
Reminds me a little of Jeff Samardzija's debut. Adrenaline throwing straight gas but all over the place. Samardzija threw a fastball all the way to the backstop in his debut (2008).
crunch 18 hours 25 min ago (view)
back to back 3-2 count 6-pitch walks.
he's not in the zone. he's throwing almost totally fastballs, too.
crunch 18 hours 25 min ago (view)
alzolay's gotta be locked in for a start given what he's done lately.
i wonder what role j.lester will be given. if he's starting, hopefully he's the 3rd/4th starter, if at all. someone will probably give him a 2021 contract if he doesn't retire...hope it's not the cubs giving that contract, though.
crunch 18 hours 28 min ago (view)
dude's thrown a 97mph and 98mph fastball to start and both looked like he was barely expending effort.
unfortunately, neither were near the plate.
Charlie 18 hours 31 min ago (view)
So, Alzolay gets at least one October start, right? He'd be a weapon out of the pen if the Cubs had more than two believable starters ready.
crunch 18 hours 32 min ago (view)
Q goes 2 effective (2ip 2h 1bb 2k, 0r/er) and here comes b.marquez...