Baez and Victorino in Action at Riverview
Shane Victorino (calf strain) singled twice and doubled and Javy Baez (thumb contusion) belted an RBI double and scored a run in Minor League Camp intrasquad game action this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #5 was called after 5-1/2 innings, and the game on Field #6 was stopped after 7-1/2 innings of play.
The game on Field #5 started and ended before the game on Field #6, allowing Victorino to move between the four teams and the two fields and collect a total of five Plate Appearances (P-2, 2B, 1B, 1B, E-4). He also stole a base and was caught stealing.
Baez played LF for two innings in the game on Field #6 and batted three times, once in each of the first three innings. He belted a double off the LF fence and scored in the 1st, flied out to the warning track in LF in the 2nd (a 12-pitch AB), and was hit on the helmet in his third PA (but left the field under his own power).
The #4 starters for the four Cubs full-season affiliates (Pierce Johnson, Tyler Skulina, Erick Leal, and Carson Sands) were the starting pitchers in the two games. The four were left behind to get their scheduled work when their teammates left town yesterday.
In Minor League Camp roster news, C Erick Castillo was moved-up to Myrtle Beach from Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) and OF Trey Martin was sent to Extended Spring Training (injury rehab) from Myrtle Beach, 1B-OF Kelly Dugan and RHP Cole Brocker were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from AA Tennessee, and RHP Pedro Araujo, RHP Kyle Miller, LHP Jose Paulino, LHP Tyler Peitzmeier, and RHP Alexander Santana were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from South Bend.
A total of 15 players have arrived at Minor League Camp from the Cubs Dominican Academy over the past few days, including INF Aramis Ademan, INF Jhonny Bethencourt, RHP Hector Garcia, OF Jose Gonzalez, RHP Jose Leidenz, 3B Rafael Mejia, SS Rafael Narea, LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, SS-2B Yeiler Peguero, SS Yonathan Perlaza, OF Ruben Reyes, OF Abraham Rodriguez, RHP Andri Rondon, and OF Jonathan Sierra, and they will be participating in Cubs Extended Spring Training.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (P-2, 2B, R)
NOTE: Victorino led-off the top of the 3rd and top of the 4th innings
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-3 (K, K, L-6)
2. Rafael Narea, SS: 1-2 (BB, 2B, K, R, RBI)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-9)
4. Ricardo Marcano, 3B: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, K)
5. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (2B, F-8, R, SB)
6. Eric Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C-DH 0-2 (K, K)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
9. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-1 (1B, SB)
NOTE: Victorino batted 4th in the bottom of the 5th inning
1. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 1-3 (1B, E-3, F-9)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 3B, R)
3. Yohan Matos, LF: 1-2 (P-3 DP, F-7 SF, 1B, 2 RBI)
4. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, L-4, K)
5. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, K)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, K)
7. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-2 (4-3, 6-4 FC, R)
8. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 0-0 (BB, BB, R)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
Pierce Johnson: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 2/6 GO/AO, 95 pitches (57 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
Erick Leal: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/8 GO/AO, 82 pitches (55 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1 PB
SQUAD "C" LINEUP:
X-1. Javier Baez, LF: 1-2 (2B, F-7, HBP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Baez batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
X-2 Aramis Ademan, PR: NO AB
NOTE: Ademan ran for Baez in the 3rd after HBP
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-4 (K, 4-3,1B, F-9, RBI, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 2B, K, 4-3, R)
3. Ricardo Marcano, DH-LF: 0-2 (F-9, K, BB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, 5-3, F-8, E-6)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, 4-6-3 DP, RBI)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, 2B, 4-3, 5-3)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, 6-3)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, 5-4 FC, BB)
9. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, 3B, 6-3, R, CS)
SQUAD "D" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, CS)
NOTE: Victorino led-off bottom of the 1st and 2nd innings
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (F-7, 3B, 1-3, BB)
2. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 1-4 (F-7, K, 2B, F-8)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, 3-U, BB, CS)
4. Kelly Dugan 1B: 0-2 (BB, 3-1, 3-U, BB, R, SB)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, F-8, 2B, RBI)
6. Michael Foster, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, F-9 DP)
7. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 0-3 (4-3 DP, E-3, K)
8. Tyler Payne, C: 0-2 (L-8, BB, K)
SQUAD ":C" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 3 WP, 4/6 GO/AO, 88 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 43 pitches (18 strikes)
SQUAD "D" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/1 GO/AO, 88 pitches (54 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 3.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 6/2 GO/AO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
SQUAD "C" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Vimael Machin: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "D" ERRORS: 1
SS Jhonny Bethancourt: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "C" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 2-3 CS
SQUAD "D" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 1-2 CS
SQUAD "C" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Alex Bautista - runner doubled off 2nd base 9-6
WEATHER: Sunny with temperarures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 18 hours 3 min ago (view)
VIDEO: Zach Davis and Rochest Cruz are (were) probably the two fastest players (sprint-speed on the bases) in the Cubs system (though not Cruz anymore, obviously).
Arizona Phil 18 hours 18 min ago (view)
Cubs minor league RHRP Ben Hecht (Cubs 2017 12th round pick - Wichita State) had TJS a couple of days ago.
videographer 21 hours 18 min ago (view)
Rochest Cruz had some success in the DSL a couple of years ago. Too bad he didn't pan out. Carlos Pacheco showed power numbers in the DSL two or three years ago along with a high K rate.
tim815 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
The rush to 70 players.
Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have released OF Luis Berrelleza, INF Rochest Cruz, LHP Misael Garcia, OF Orlando Guzman, C-1B Brayan Mancilla, RHP Yander Montero, OF Carlos Pacheco, and OF John Rodriguez.
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
it screws up stats. i know you play for wins/losses, but real money is on the line for players and makes agent/player homework selling their client a bit harder.
it also makes historical comparisons difficult.
the amount of time i've seen a fresh inning starting out...bunt guy to 3rd for an out, IBB, IBB is too high. what would amount to a leadoff single following that can easily turn into 2 runs (1 earned) with guys on the corner...which usually leads to another IBB.
Charlie 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Jay Jaffe has a timely argument against the runner on second rule over at fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-runner-on-second-i...
I still don't know why we don't just have ties. Obviously, the Cubs could have dodged most of these situations by simply hitting a little bit during the regulation innings.
Arizona Phil 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have signed free-agent RHSP Adrian Sampson to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa, and RHP Michael McAvene, LHP Jack Patterson, and OF Donnie Dewees have been placed on the 60-day IL to open up slots for Sampson, Trayce Thompson, and Kyle Ryan on the Cubs minor league 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
crunch 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
well that sucked.
2-game sweep, 2 games under .500
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
stumbled onto this today...clip from a 2019 ESPN broadcast game with boog, chipper jones, and david ross in the booth...
boog used to call games for ATL, btw...
tim815 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
Someone on social media was floating Yoelqui Cespedes to the Cubs in a Bryant trade.
I was clueless if it was permitted. It is.
Wrigley Rat 2 days 10 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have traded for outfielder Trayce Thompson, who was with the Diamondbacks at Triple-A, but is formerly of the big league White Sox, Dodgers, and A’s. The Diamondbacks are getting cash in the deal, which is a reflection of the reality that Thompson, 30, is a depth outfielder at this point in his career. Thompson is the younger brother of NBA star Klay Thompson. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/05/11/cub...
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
i'd like to point out ross feels more comfortable with j.pederson and k.bryant in CF over j.heyward.
watching heyward not just look human in the OF, but having a bit of a hard time is rough. he's just not getting to stuff like he used to.
crunch 2 days 16 hours ago (view)
bryant out of the game for no apparent reason...that...doesn't seem good...
he's "under the weather" according the clubhouse. that's better than screwed up oblique or similar, at least.
crunch 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
this shane bieber guy kinda sucks. 1 run in, bases loaded 0 outs.
i hope 4-5 innings of alzolay and the 5 pen guys after him hold it down.
...hey wow, bases loaded 0 out turns into 0 runs...very cubs.
George Altman 2 days 19 hours ago (view)
Baseball wants more offense, fans want more action -- limit pitching staffs to 12, ideally transition to 11 over a 3 year period.
Teams are asking RPs to throw only 45 pitches a week. Think about that.
SPs who throw 175 IP/Yr will be museum pieces in 5 years.
It's not shifts. Oh....and electronic Strike zones as soon as possible.