Baez and Victorino in Action at Riverview
Shane Victorino (calf strain) singled twice and doubled and Javy Baez (thumb contusion) belted an RBI double and scored a run in Minor League Camp intrasquad game action this morning at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game on Field #5 was called after 5-1/2 innings, and the game on Field #6 was stopped after 7-1/2 innings of play.
The game on Field #5 started and ended before the game on Field #6, allowing Victorino to move between the four teams and the two fields and collect a total of five Plate Appearances (P-2, 2B, 1B, 1B, E-4). He also stole a base and was caught stealing.
Baez played LF for two innings in the game on Field #6 and batted three times, once in each of the first three innings. He belted a double off the LF fence and scored in the 1st, flied out to the warning track in LF in the 2nd (a 12-pitch AB), and was hit on the helmet in his third PA (but left the field under his own power).
The #4 starters for the four Cubs full-season affiliates (Pierce Johnson, Tyler Skulina, Erick Leal, and Carson Sands) were the starting pitchers in the two games. The four were left behind to get their scheduled work when their teammates left town yesterday.
In Minor League Camp roster news, C Erick Castillo was moved-up to Myrtle Beach from Eugene/Mesa (Extended Spring Training) and OF Trey Martin was sent to Extended Spring Training (injury rehab) from Myrtle Beach, 1B-OF Kelly Dugan and RHP Cole Brocker were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from AA Tennessee, and RHP Pedro Araujo, RHP Kyle Miller, LHP Jose Paulino, LHP Tyler Peitzmeier, and RHP Alexander Santana were moved-down to Extended Spring Training from South Bend.
A total of 15 players have arrived at Minor League Camp from the Cubs Dominican Academy over the past few days, including INF Aramis Ademan, INF Jhonny Bethencourt, RHP Hector Garcia, OF Jose Gonzalez, RHP Jose Leidenz, 3B Rafael Mejia, SS Rafael Narea, LHP Pablo Ochoa, LHP Eugenio Palma, SS-2B Yeiler Peguero, SS Yonathan Perlaza, OF Ruben Reyes, OF Abraham Rodriguez, RHP Andri Rondon, and OF Jonathan Sierra, and they will be participating in Cubs Extended Spring Training.
Here are the box scores from the two games:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (P-2, 2B, R)
NOTE: Victorino led-off the top of the 3rd and top of the 4th innings
1. Luis Ayala, CF: 0-3 (K, K, L-6)
2. Rafael Narea, SS: 1-2 (BB, 2B, K, R, RBI)
3. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-2 (1B, F-9)
4. Ricardo Marcano, 3B: 0-2 (4-6-3 DP, K)
5. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (2B, F-8, R, SB)
6. Eric Gonzalez, LF: 0-3 (K, F-9)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C-DH 0-2 (K, K)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
9. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-1 (1B, SB)
NOTE: Victorino batted 4th in the bottom of the 5th inning
1. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 1-3 (1B, E-3, F-9)
2. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-3 (K, K, 3B, R)
3. Yohan Matos, LF: 1-2 (P-3 DP, F-7 SF, 1B, 2 RBI)
4. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, L-4, K)
5. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, K)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-2 (K, BB, K)
7. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-2 (4-3, 6-4 FC, R)
8. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 0-0 (BB, BB, R)
9. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 2-2 (1B, 1B, RBI)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
Pierce Johnson: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 6 K, 2 WP, 2/6 GO/AO, 95 pitches (57 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
Erick Leal: 6.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/8 GO/AO, 82 pitches (55 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
1B Chris Pieters: E-3 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1 PB
SQUAD "C" LINEUP:
X-1. Javier Baez, LF: 1-2 (2B, F-7, HBP, R, RBI)
NOTE: Baez batted 3rd in the bottom of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd innings
X-2 Aramis Ademan, PR: NO AB
NOTE: Ademan ran for Baez in the 3rd after HBP
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-4 (K, 4-3,1B, F-9, RBI, SB)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 2-4 (1B, 2B, K, 4-3, R)
3. Ricardo Marcano, DH-LF: 0-2 (F-9, K, BB)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-4 (5-3, 5-3, F-8, E-6)
5. Alex Bautista, RF: 1-4 (1B, K, K, 4-6-3 DP, RBI)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 1-4 (3-U, 2B, 4-3, 5-3)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-1 (BB, BB, 6-3)
8. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-2 (6-4-3 DP, 5-4 FC, BB)
9. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 1-2 (BB, 3B, 6-3, R, CS)
SQUAD "D" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, DH: 1-2 (1B, E-4, CS)
NOTE: Victorino led-off bottom of the 1st and 2nd innings
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-3 (F-7, 3B, 1-3, BB)
2. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 1-4 (F-7, K, 2B, F-8)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 0-3 (K, F-9, 3-U, BB, CS)
4. Kelly Dugan 1B: 0-2 (BB, 3-1, 3-U, BB, R, SB)
5. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, F-8, 2B, RBI)
6. Michael Foster, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, BB, F-9 DP)
7. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 0-3 (4-3 DP, E-3, K)
8. Tyler Payne, C: 0-2 (L-8, BB, K)
SQUAD ":C" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 3 K, 1 GIDP, 3 WP, 4/6 GO/AO, 88 pitches (47 strikes)
2. Junior Marte: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 43 pitches (18 strikes)
SQUAD "D" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Skulina: 4.1 IP, 7 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/1 GO/AO, 88 pitches (54 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 3.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 6/2 GO/AO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
SQUAD "C" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Vimael Machin: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "D" ERRORS: 1
SS Jhonny Bethancourt: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "C" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jhonny Pereda: 2-3 CS
SQUAD "D" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Payne: 1-2 CS
SQUAD "C" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
RF Alex Bautista - runner doubled off 2nd base 9-6
WEATHER: Sunny with temperarures in the 80's
crunch 3 hours 37 min ago (view)
given what little we're supposed to expect out of this offseason that would have been a nice gamble.
at this point i wonder if they're going to snag someone to put in between the 2 current staff aces that throw 88mph on a good day, or if they're just gonna toss one of the kids in there to break up the slow-tossers.
i mean, there's gotta be something more than hendricks/davies/mills/alzolay/???...i hope.
springs 3 hours 49 min ago (view)
That sucks...I wanted to sign Q to a one year deal and see if he could right the ship. At a minimum I hoped we'd get a draft pick when he left as a free agent and thought we could roll the dice to try and get that. That trade....man.
crunch 7 hours 13 min ago (view)
bjays gave chatwood 3m.
do they not have scouts...or televisions you can watch games where he pitches?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Lame. He was intriguing
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
cubs release matt dermody...he's heading to japan.
Cubster 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
and they are including amusement tax, healthcare costs (Doc Adams doesn't come cheap!), social security and political donations to the City and the Governor of Nebraska.
bradsbeard 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
It all depends what you count as "payroll." If you include the $11M in Lester and Descalso's buyouts plus the $3M sent in the Darvish trade you get to somewhere like $145M. If you include the $15M in estimated share of player benefits, you get to $160M. I think that last year, including player benefits, they were slated to be up around $205M for MLB payroll before the pandemic.
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
not sure, but i think it's around 130-135m right now even with bryant/baez/contreras still on board...including the 3m to set darvish free and other random $$ expenses on the roster.
tack on another 3-4m for happ when that gets settled....plus other odds/ends that have a chance to make the roster (s.miller, a.morgan, j.holder, etc) and other pre-arbitration guys...
cubs still need someone to back up contreras (if he sticks around, which i wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around)...not sure if taylor gushue is gonna be that guy and m.amaya is too young.
George Altman 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Seriously, what's the 2021 payroll number? Currently at approximately $165M and after they trade Bryant, Baez, & Contreras - $130M. Is that it, $135-140M.
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Q to the angels...supposedly 1/8m
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
pete ricketts (the governor of Nebraska ricketts) is a key part of an anti-gambling Nebraska group called "Gambling With The Good Life" that actively lobbied their open legislature...including a speech by pete...to keep gambling illegal in Nebraska.
he last spoke for the group to the state government in-session 3 months ago.
...it's also worth mentioning all of this is separate from the Draft Kings/Wrigley Field deal that flew under the radar toward the end of the season that will put a sportsbook directly in wrigley field, itself.
Charlie 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
Of all the things, why does this most make me want to punch
Cubster 2 days 17 hours ago (view)
I thought the Cubs had lost a rising star in Porter, seems the just got lucky with him leaving the organization.
crunch 3 days 53 min ago (view)
jared porter...damn dude...mets gm, ex cubs director of scouting...
crunch 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
cubs freeing up that chatwood + lester loot sure did help...wait...sigh.