Cubs @ Atlanta: Darvish vs. Fried (Game 6)

CHC (1-4): RHP Yu Darvish (0-1)

ATL (2-3): LHP Max Fried (0-0)

First pitch 6:20pmCST

The first two games of my tenure as gameday poster haven't . So, in lieu of writing the post myself, I forced a bot to watch what has felt like 1000 hours of Cubs baseball and had it script out a game. Here's a sample:

EXT. BASEBALL FIELD

We see FRIENDLY BASEBALL PLAYERS. They are wearing PAJAMAS FOR MUSCULAR MEN.

An EVIL PLAYER holding an OBLONG PIECE OF WOOD and wearing a HEADSHELL walks to home plate.

FRIENDLY PITCHER 1

I am ready to compete. My team has forgotten past failures.

FRIENDLY PLAYER 2 wiggles his FINGERS. EVIL PLAYER 1 swings his OBLONG WOOD and hits the BASEBALL.

FRIENDLY OUTFIELDER 1

The baseball is full of malice and I am afraid.

FRIENDLY OUTFIELDER 2

I am unable to help you because I must stay in my corner.

COACH

I believe in you. People will blame me for your failures.

FRIENDLY INFIELDER 1

Do not worry, friend. We will help later with our OBLONG WOOD.

FRIENDLY RELIEF PITCHERS (dancing ruefully)

We will also be present later.

The EVIL PLAYER circles the bases. He is compelled by the universe and cannot stop.

I am not current with my memes.

Anyway, there's another game tonight. Raise your hopes at your own risk!

Comments

high quality pre-game content right there.  10/10.  A+.

the hope for victory is today's desire.

almora/bryant/rizzo/baez/contreras/bote(2nd)/schwarber/darvish/zang

I can't wait until we get to the All your base are belong to us part.

Iowa roster announced.

Pitchers: Robinson,Rea,Swarmer,Underwood,Maples,Norwood,Mekkes,Wick,Ryan,Collins,Carasiti,Webster,Duensing.

Catchers:

Davis,Arcia

Infielders:

Adduci,Giambrone,Short,Adames,Evans,Machado.

Outfielders:

Dewees,Happ,Field,Borenstein

Baldonado and Bernard on IR

Thanks Hagsag!

We will have to check with Phil to see if any of: Tseng, Clifton,Tazawa,Markey,Kontos,Markey,Black, Hultzman,E. Castillo,or Hannemann are still in camp.

HAGSAG: The only player unaccounted for right now is RHRP George Kontos.

He was absolutely, positively, definitely on the Iowa roster this morning - AFTER - players were moved to the Eugene roster and to the 7-day and 60-day injured lists, and so Iowa had 26 players on its Active List just prior to the Cubs releasing the I-Cubs Opening Day 25-man roster (which then all of a sudden did - NOT - include Kontos), so he may have been released sometime today (TBD).

Thanks Phil.

it's one thing to play crap baseball, it's another to do it while you're playing in the park where "the tommy hawk chawp" plays for at least 2 hours per game.

phew...this pitching...

no words...just waiting for it to get better...

AZ PHIL - Have the Cubs released anymore players now that the rosters are starting to get "set"?  I may have missed some, but I think the last one I see posted on here was Rob Z and the handful that included Singleton (was pulling for him, family shooting story etc) and Austin Fillire (sp?) who was the MIT future Moneyball GM grad that I thought would be interesting.  I may have missed any other cuts though.

cubbies.4ever: The Cubs haven't released anybody since March 28th, although George Kontos may have been released yesterday (TBD).

Otherwise the Cubs are retaining extra minor league players by either assigning them to the Eugene reserve list (while they physically remain with their respective full-season club), or place them on an injured list at Iowa, Tennessee. Myrtle Beach, or South Bend (and some of those players are remaining with their full-season club as well, while others are at the UAPC in Mesa).

There is no roster restriction related to minor league service time for the short-season affiliates until July 1st and the Eugene reserve list isn't needed for other players (players who were at Extended Spring Training and 2019 June draft picks) until NWL Opening Day in mid-June, so it just requires a couple of strokes of a keyboard to temporariliy move a player from the Iowa, Tennessee, Myrtle Beach, or South Bend roster to the Eugene reserve list even though the player doesn't actually go anywhere.

And again, I say "temporarily" move a player to the Eugene reserve list, because minor league service time restrictions for short-season leagues go into effect on July 1st.

So right now the Eugene reserve list is functioning as a sort of unofficial inactive list for the four full-season affiliates.

The pen was brutal (to put it nicely) again tonight.  Edwards 3G 1.0IP (and he's not a one batter specialist) 45.00 ERA.

Edwards needs a visit to Iowa .

The first day that a player on an MLB 40-man roster who was optioned to the minors prior to MLB Opening Day and who is not replacing a player placed onto an MLB inactive list (Injured List, Paternity Leave List, etc) can be recalled is this coming Sunday (the 11th day of the MLB regular season), so it's possible that Edwards and/or Rosario (the two pitchers in the Cubs pen with "usable" options) could be exchanged for one or two other relievers on Sunday or Monday, but it won't (can't) happen today or tomorrow, unless somebody on the 25 goes on an inactive list.

• QuietMan 1 hour 11 min ago (view)

Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,

• George Altman 1 hour 26 min ago (view)

Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.

• Mike Wellman 3 hours 34 min ago (view)

I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 56 min ago (view)

Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!

i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.

• Charlie 4 hours 28 min ago (view)

Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.

He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.

That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.

• Arizona Phil 12 hours 5 min ago (view)

Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.

• crunch 17 hours 48 min ago (view)

cubs lose, cards win, brews win.

boo.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 34 min ago (view)

I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.

• Charlie 19 hours 44 min ago (view)

Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?

• Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 43 min ago (view)

I feel pretty safe in saying that 1. They don’t want him and 2. If they did, things wouldn’t improve for CJ.

Allowing inherited runners and 1-2 of your own in a close game is what I like to call the “Carl Jr Special.” It was formerly a Justin Grimm special, thankfully Carl stepped up to fill that void.

• crunch 20 hours 50 min ago (view)

there's always nick castellanos for a chance to rid of edwards...at which point a couple month rental will probably turn edwards into their ace closer or something just as awesome.

• Eric S 20 hours 51 min ago (view)

The bitter side of me thinks it should have been a two for one trade for Maldonado

Anyways, has not been a clean series for the Cubs against the Padres - fortunate to have won the series and a 7-2 home stand is a pretty big dill. Or deal. Or something

• crunch 20 hours 56 min ago (view)

edwards gonna edwards...blah

• bradsbeard 22 hours 25 min ago (view)

Thanks for the clarification. Guess we’ll find out what he’s going to do sooner than later.

• crunch 23 hours 29 min ago (view)

delay over, game on.

• Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)

And if Zobrist were to consent to an Optional Assignment to the minors for the purpose of getting into playing shape, it could very well be to AA Tennessee (close to his home in Nashville) rather than to AAA Iowa. He might even just play home games for the Smokies and then work out on his own while they are on the road.