Cubs @ Atlanta: Darvish vs. Fried (Game 6)

CHC (1-4): RHP Yu Darvish (0-1)

ATL (2-3): LHP Max Fried (0-0)

First pitch 6:20pmCST

The first two games of my tenure as gameday poster haven't . So, in lieu of writing the post myself, I forced a bot to watch what has felt like 1000 hours of Cubs baseball and had it script out a game. Here's a sample:

EXT. BASEBALL FIELD

We see FRIENDLY BASEBALL PLAYERS. They are wearing PAJAMAS FOR MUSCULAR MEN.

An EVIL PLAYER holding an OBLONG PIECE OF WOOD and wearing a HEADSHELL walks to home plate.

FRIENDLY PITCHER 1

I am ready to compete. My team has forgotten past failures.

FRIENDLY PLAYER 2 wiggles his FINGERS. EVIL PLAYER 1 swings his OBLONG WOOD and hits the BASEBALL.

FRIENDLY OUTFIELDER 1

The baseball is full of malice and I am afraid.

FRIENDLY OUTFIELDER 2

I am unable to help you because I must stay in my corner.

COACH

I believe in you. People will blame me for your failures.

FRIENDLY INFIELDER 1

Do not worry, friend. We will help later with our OBLONG WOOD.

FRIENDLY RELIEF PITCHERS (dancing ruefully)

We will also be present later.

The EVIL PLAYER circles the bases. He is compelled by the universe and cannot stop.

I am not current with my memes.

Anyway, there's another game tonight. Raise your hopes at your own risk!

Comments

high quality pre-game content right there.  10/10.  A+.

the hope for victory is today's desire.

almora/bryant/rizzo/baez/contreras/bote(2nd)/schwarber/darvish/zang

I can't wait until we get to the All your base are belong to us part.

Iowa roster announced.

Pitchers: Robinson,Rea,Swarmer,Underwood,Maples,Norwood,Mekkes,Wick,Ryan,Collins,Carasiti,Webster,Duensing.

Catchers:

Davis,Arcia

Infielders:

Adduci,Giambrone,Short,Adames,Evans,Machado.

Outfielders:

Dewees,Happ,Field,Borenstein

Baldonado and Bernard on IR

Thanks Hagsag!

We will have to check with Phil to see if any of: Tseng, Clifton,Tazawa,Markey,Kontos,Markey,Black, Hultzman,E. Castillo,or Hannemann are still in camp.

HAGSAG: The only player unaccounted for right now is RHRP George Kontos.

He was absolutely, positively, definitely on the Iowa roster this morning - AFTER - players were moved to the Eugene roster and to the 7-day and 60-day injured lists, and so Iowa had 26 players on its Active List just prior to the Cubs releasing the I-Cubs Opening Day 25-man roster (which then all of a sudden did - NOT - include Kontos), so he may have been released sometime today (TBD).

Thanks Phil.

it's one thing to play crap baseball, it's another to do it while you're playing in the park where "the tommy hawk chawp" plays for at least 2 hours per game.

phew...this pitching...

no words...just waiting for it to get better...

AZ PHIL - Have the Cubs released anymore players now that the rosters are starting to get "set"?  I may have missed some, but I think the last one I see posted on here was Rob Z and the handful that included Singleton (was pulling for him, family shooting story etc) and Austin Fillire (sp?) who was the MIT future Moneyball GM grad that I thought would be interesting.  I may have missed any other cuts though.

cubbies.4ever: The Cubs haven't released anybody since March 28th, although George Kontos may have been released yesterday (TBD).

Otherwise the Cubs are retaining extra minor league players by either assigning them to the Eugene reserve list (while they physically remain with their respective full-season club), or place them on an injured list at Iowa, Tennessee. Myrtle Beach, or South Bend (and some of those players are remaining with their full-season club as well, while others are at the UAPC in Mesa).

There is no roster restriction related to minor league service time for the short-season affiliates until July 1st and the Eugene reserve list isn't needed for other players (players who were at Extended Spring Training and 2019 June draft picks) until NWL Opening Day in mid-June, so it just requires a couple of strokes of a keyboard to temporariliy move a player from the Iowa, Tennessee, Myrtle Beach, or South Bend roster to the Eugene reserve list even though the player doesn't actually go anywhere.

And again, I say "temporarily" move a player to the Eugene reserve list, because minor league service time restrictions for short-season leagues go into effect on July 1st.

So right now the Eugene reserve list is functioning as a sort of unofficial inactive list for the four full-season affiliates.

The pen was brutal (to put it nicely) again tonight.  Edwards 3G 1.0IP (and he's not a one batter specialist) 45.00 ERA.

Edwards needs a visit to Iowa .

The first day that a player on an MLB 40-man roster who was optioned to the minors prior to MLB Opening Day and who is not replacing a player placed onto an MLB inactive list (Injured List, Paternity Leave List, etc) can be recalled is this coming Sunday (the 11th day of the MLB regular season), so it's possible that Edwards and/or Rosario (the two pitchers in the Cubs pen with "usable" options) could be exchanged for one or two other relievers on Sunday or Monday, but it won't (can't) happen today or tomorrow, unless somebody on the 25 goes on an inactive list.

• crunch 39 min 5 sec ago (view)

HOU/NYY postponed.

• crunch 4 hours 16 min ago (view)

as expected, joe maddon to be the new manager of the angels.

btw, it is unlikely tonight's HOU @ NYY (10/16) will happen because of rain that's going to start 3-4 hours before game time and carry well into the night.

• crunch 16 hours 15 min ago (view)

world series will be played in DC for the first time since 1933.  neat.

• crunch 18 hours 53 min ago (view)

and it's only getting worse...i mean, better.

7 runs to pad out the 1st.

• Craig A. 18 hours 53 min ago (view)

Oof. Hudson leaves the game after giving up five runs on singles and doubles and only getting one out.

• Arizona Phil 22 hours 23 min ago (view)

The thing about Kris Bryant is that he would probably be traded only to a club that feels that it under-achieved in 2019 and where the owner is exerting pressure from the top and who therefore will over-pay for two years of Kris Bryant.

• Charlie 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

Yeah, it seems like I lean more toward overvaluing Bryant than most commenters here. Also, I completely stopped following prospect lists once the Cubs were good again, so I'm out of the loop on Pache especially. I had imagined that the Cubs would be looking more for immediate major league value rather than a projectable prospect, but I guess if you really like Pache you don't mind waiting a couple years.

• K Dub 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

PHIL: Excellent breakdown, Phil. Thanks.

I'm sure you heard. QO value was set at $17.8 million the day after you made your post.

• K Dub 1 day 10 hours ago (view)

Pache, Wright, Muller and Riley feels light to you, Charlie? I respect your opinion, but I would jump at it. I highly doubt the Braves would do it, though. Were talking 2 years of Bryant at what could be 18 million and 28-30 million in his last year of arbitration.

The Cubs would be hurting their chances next year and building for 2021 in a deal like that, but that's rebuilding/retooling in one fell swoop.

• Arizona Phil 3 days 14 hours ago (view)

CHARLIE: Austin Riley is actually a third-baseman but he had to play LF for the Braves in 2019 because he was blocked by Josh Donaldson, and Cristian Pache is considered to be the best defensive centerfielder in the minors and his bat has improved enough over the past year or two to where he is now rated in or just outside the top ten overall prospects in MLB.

So a package that includes Riley and Pache and one of the Braves young MLB or MLB-ready SP would probably be more than enough to get the Cubs to bite.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 17 hours ago (view)

Max Fried or Bryse Wilson

• crunch 3 days 18 hours ago (view)

t.skaggs story keeps getting deeper.

allegations the team knew about skagg's drug abuse (also his family).  teams are required to report this to MLB.

• Charlie 3 days 20 hours ago (view)

Except for the headline, the linked post reads more like a trade hypothetical than a trade rumor. I like the idea of looking at this package as a discussion point for expected return for Bryant. I would say it feels a little light to me. It's deep, with two decent outfield prospects with upside and two OK pitching prospects. But Riley doesn't help the team solve the CF problem right now, so he's either redundant to Bote or sort of a Schwarber replacement. Muller's inflated BB% at AA this year worries me a bit too.

• Cubster 4 days 3 hours ago (view)

I might have missed something and it's been talked about regarding a KB trade rumor from about 10-9-19.

Braves receive: 3B Kris Bryant

• crunch 5 days 16 hours ago (view)

they get 3 guys and the cubs get 1 guy.  sounds like a slam dunk for the angels.  pencil trout in the cubs lineup.  he's got upside.

• Jackstraw 5 days 19 hours ago (view)

I'd hate to part with both Kemp and Chatwood, but if it will bring that Trout guy back, we could even throw in Almora.