Victorino Continues to Rake & Run at Riverview
Shane Victorino (calf strain) drilled a line-drive double into the left-field corner and scored and blooped a single to center and stole a base, Kelly Dugan slugged a solo home run, and RHSP Kyle Miller hurled 3.1 IP of one-hit shutout ball, in a Minor League Camp intrasquad game played this morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after 7-1/2 innings of play.
Victorino played RF for four innings and batted three times (2B, 1-3, 1B). He is running OK, and in addition to stealing a base (he also stole a base yesterday), he even tried to lay down a bunt single (he was retired 1-3 on a nice play by pitcher Manny Rondon).
No sign of Javy Baez on the field today. Baez was beaned on the helmet by a Tyler Skulina fastball yesterday (although he did not appear to be seriously injured and left the field under his own power, he did go directly to the clubhouse, presumably to be tested for a concuussion).
Here is the box score from today's game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (3-U, K, 1-3, BB)
2. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-4 (3-1, 6-3, 4-3, 4-1)
3a. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, F-9, HR, R, RBI)
3b. Tyler Payne, PH-1B: 0-0 (BB)
4a. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-3 (F-7, F-9, K)
4b. Michael Foster, LF: 0-1 (4-3)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, K)
6. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-2 (K, HBP, F-9)
7a. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-2 (5-3, 5-U FC)
7b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 0-1 (L-8)
8. Sutton Whiting, 2B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K)
9. Kevin Zamudio, DH: 0-3 (6-3, P-4, P-6)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Shane Victorino, RF: 2-3 (2B, 1-3, 1B, R, SB)
NOTE: Victorino batted 3rd in the bottom of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th innings
1a. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 0-3 (4-3, K, E-4, R)
1b. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF: 0-1 (6-3)
2. Ricardo Marcano, DH-RF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED SECOND TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
3. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (4-3, 3B, 6-4-3 DP, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, F-9 SF, P-6, RBI)
5. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-8)
6. Roberto Caro, CF: 2-3 (1B, K, 1B, R, SB, CS)
7a. Alberto Mineo, C: 0-1 (BB, F-9, R)
7b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-1 (5-3)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-3 (1B, F-8, K, RBI)
9a. Eric Gonzalez, DH #2: 1-2 (1B, P-5, 2 RBI)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, PH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS::
1. Manny Rondon: 2.1 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Jesus Castillo: 1.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Enrique de los Rios: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 6 pitches (5 strikes)
5. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyle Miller: 3.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 5/2 GO/AO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
2. Erling Moreno: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 3/3 GO/AO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jose Rosario: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (7 strikes)
5. Alexander Santana: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (5 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
2B Sutton Whiting: E-4 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Miguel Amaya: 0-2 CS
2. Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 4 min ago (view)
Lame. He was intriguing
crunch 20 hours 13 min ago (view)
cubs release matt dermody...he's heading to japan.
Cubster 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
and they are including amusement tax, healthcare costs (Doc Adams doesn't come cheap!), social security and political donations to the City and the Governor of Nebraska.
bradsbeard 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
It all depends what you count as "payroll." If you include the $11M in Lester and Descalso's buyouts plus the $3M sent in the Darvish trade you get to somewhere like $145M. If you include the $15M in estimated share of player benefits, you get to $160M. I think that last year, including player benefits, they were slated to be up around $205M for MLB payroll before the pandemic.
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
not sure, but i think it's around 130-135m right now even with bryant/baez/contreras still on board...including the 3m to set darvish free and other random $$ expenses on the roster.
tack on another 3-4m for happ when that gets settled....plus other odds/ends that have a chance to make the roster (s.miller, a.morgan, j.holder, etc) and other pre-arbitration guys...
cubs still need someone to back up contreras (if he sticks around, which i wouldn't be surprised to see him stick around)...not sure if taylor gushue is gonna be that guy and m.amaya is too young.
George Altman 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Seriously, what's the 2021 payroll number? Currently at approximately $165M and after they trade Bryant, Baez, & Contreras - $130M. Is that it, $135-140M.
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Q to the angels...supposedly 1/8m
crunch 2 days 1 hour ago (view)
pete ricketts (the governor of Nebraska ricketts) is a key part of an anti-gambling Nebraska group called "Gambling With The Good Life" that actively lobbied their open legislature...including a speech by pete...to keep gambling illegal in Nebraska.
he last spoke for the group to the state government in-session 3 months ago.
...it's also worth mentioning all of this is separate from the Draft Kings/Wrigley Field deal that flew under the radar toward the end of the season that will put a sportsbook directly in wrigley field, itself.
Charlie 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Of all the things, why does this most make me want to punch
Cubster 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
I thought the Cubs had lost a rising star in Porter, seems the just got lucky with him leaving the organization.
crunch 2 days 15 hours ago (view)
jared porter...damn dude...mets gm, ex cubs director of scouting...
crunch 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
cubs freeing up that chatwood + lester loot sure did help...wait...sigh.
Cubster 2 days 18 hours ago (view)
Plus Chatwood signing w Bluejays is done.
crunch 2 days 20 hours ago (view)
...and done. 1 year deal with a mutual option.
Cubster 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
Dolorous in discussions with the Washington Schwarbs.