Wilson, Cease, and Hudson Star at Minor League Camp
CF D. J. Wilson (Cubs 2015 4th round draft pick - Canton South HS - Canton, OH) tripled and singled and scored two runs, 6'8 LHP Bryan Hudson (Cubs 2015 3rd round draft pick - Alton HS - Alton, IL) tossed 4.1 IP of one hit shutout ball with a 10/1 GO/AO, and Cubs top pitching prospect fireballin' RHSP Dylan Cease (Cubs 2014 6th round draft pick - Milton HS - Milton, GA) hurled four innings of one-run/one hit ball, in Minor League Camp intrasquad game action Wednesday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after 11-1/2 innings of play with the score tied 2-2.
Shane Victorino (calf strain) continued his rehab, playing LF for six innings and going 0-3 at the plate (4-3, 4-3, 5-3).
Ex-KC closer RHP Aaron Crow (signed by the Cubs to a minor league contract prior to the start of Spring Training) made his first game appearance since undergoing TJS last April, throwing 1.2 IP (19 pitches - 12 strikes) and allowing one hit and an unearned run with a 4/0 GO/AO.
Ex-HOU RHRP Jake Buchanan made his first game appearance in a Cub uniform since being signed to a minor league contract last week, throwing 1.2 IP (21 pitches) while surrendering a run (earmed) on two hits (a triple and an RBI single) and a 3/0 GO/AO.
In Minor League Camp roster news, 3B-1B Blake Headley (Cubs 2015 20th round draft pick - U. of Nebraska) has retired. Also, INF-OF David Bote was assigned to Myrtle Beach (where either he or Erick Castillo will likely initially be inactive, but available to be reinstated when needed), and LHP Jeffry Antigua has been assigned to Extended Spring Training (he was previously with the Iowa squad at Minor League Camp) and will be available to respond whenever needed on a moment's notice to any of the Cubs four full-season afiliates.
Here is the box score from the game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 2-3 (1B+E3, 3B, P-4, 2 R)
1b. Ricardo Marcano, CF: 0-0 (BB, BB)
2. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-5 (P-4, 1B, K, F-9, K, RBI)
3a. Shane Victorino, LF: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 5-3, RBI)
3b. Kevonte Mitchell, LF: 1-2 (1B, E-6, CS, PO)
4a. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 1-3 (6-3, 5-3, 1B+E8)
4b. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Ramon Reyes, RF: 1-5 (E-6, 5-3, 1-3, 1B, 4-3)
6. Aramis Ademan, SS: 0-4 (5-4 FC, K, 6-3, 4-3)
7. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-4 (3-U, 1-3, 1-3, K)
8a. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, 4-3)
8b. Jhonny Pereda, PH: 0-1 (1-3)
9a. Eric Gonzalez, DH #1: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 2B)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
10. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 0-1 (HBP, F-7)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
11a. Luis Ayala, DH #3: 0-1 (6-3)
11b. Jesse Hodges, PH-DH: 0-3 (6-3, F-9, 1-3)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-3 (4-3, BB, F-8, 1B+E1, BB, PO)
2. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 1-4 (BB, K, 2B, 6-3, K, SB)
3. Abraham Rodriguez, DH:#1: 1-4 (1B, 6-3 DP, 6-3, E-6)
4a. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 0-1 (P-5 DP, BB, R)
4b. Michael Foster, RF: 0-2 (6-3, K)
5. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 1-3 (F-7, HBP, K, 1B, SB)
6. Jonathan Sierra, LF: 1-3 (E-6, 1B, BB, 5-4-3 DP, RBI, PO)
7. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 0-3 (5-4 FC, BB, K, 1-3, CS)
8a. Kevin Zamudio, C: 0-2 (K, K)
8b. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
9. Rafael Narea, 3B: 1-3 (BB, P-3, 1B, K, R)
10. Miguel Amaya, DH #2: 0-4 (6-3 DP, L-6, F-8, 4-3)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dylan Cease: 4.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 4 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 55 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Jeremy Null: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 1/3 GO/AO, 24 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Yapson Gomez: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 22 pitches (16 strikes)
6. Tommy Nance: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Aaron Crow: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
2. Jake Buchanan: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 21 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Bryan Hudson: 4.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 10/1 GO/AO, 48 pitches (32 strikes)
4. Pedro Silverio: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 2/2 GO/AO, 37 pitches (22 strikes)
5. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (11 strikes)
6. Daniel Lewis: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 3
1. SS Aramis Ademan: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Jared Cheek: E-1 (two-base throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 3rd & runner to score from 1st)
3. SS Aramis Ademan: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 4
1. 1B Kelly Dugan: E-3 (throwing error on infield single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Yonathan Perlaza: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. CF Jose Gonzalez: E-8 (throwing error after single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
4. SS Yonathan Perlaza: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 1-3 CS
2. Tyler Pearson: 1 PO
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni; 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
CUBS EXTENDED SPRING TRAINING ROSTER: 81+13
* bats or throws left
# bats both
* Jeffry Antigua
Frank Batista (INJURY REHAB GROUP - knee)
Dallas Beeler (ACTIVE REHAB - right shoulder inflammation)
Jordan Brink (INJURY REHAB GROUP - post-2015 right shoulder surgery)
Aaron Brooks (INJURY REHAB GROUP - hip contusion)
Aaron Crow (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Oscar de la Cruz (INJURY REHAB GROUP - elbow)
Enrique de los Rios
* Andin Diaz (INJURY REHAB GROUP)
Wander Feliz (ex-OF)
P. J. Francescon (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Francisco Garay (ex-INF)
* Yapson Gomez
Tanner Griggs (RESTRICTED LIST - ACTIVE)
Luis Hernandez (INJURY REHAB GROUP)
* Bryan Hudson
John Michael Knighton
* Jack Leathersich (INJURY REHAB GROUP - July 2015 TJS)
Gabriel Lima (INJURY REHAB GROUP)
M. T. Minacci
* Pablo Ochoa
* Eugenio Palma
* Tyler Peitzmeier
Jonathan Pettibone (INJURY REHAB GROUP - 2015 right shoulder surgery)
* Manny Rondon
Jose Rosario (ACTIVE REHAB - April 2015 TJS)
Duane Underwood Jr (ACTIVE REHAB - elbow)
Jose Zapata (INACTIVE - player coach)
* Alberto Mineo
Will Remillard (INACTIVE - April 2016 TJS #2)
* Aramis Ademan
Javy Baez (ACTIVE REHAB - thumb contusion)
* Vimael Machin
Joey Martarano (INACTIVE - attending college at Boise State)
# Yeiler Peguero
# Yonathan Perlaza
* Chris Pieters
# Edgar Rondon
Christian Villanueva (INACTIVE - fractured fibula)
# Sutton Whiting
* Luis Ayala
# Roberto Caro
* Kelly Dugan
# Robert Garcia
* Kwang-Min Kwon
* Ricardo Marcano
Trey Martin (ACTIVE REHAB)
Yohan Matos (ex-C)
* Ruben Reyes
* Abraham Rodriguez
* Jonathan Sierra
# Shane Victorino (ACTIVE REHAB - calf)
* D. J. Wilson
Arizona Phil 2 min ago (view)
The Cardinals have to play the doubleheader on Monday at Detroit if either the games impact who or who does not get into the playoffs, or if the games will determine whether the Cards or Cubs finish 1st in the division and get home field advantage in the Wild Card series.
So the Cards go to Detroit on Monday either because they have not yet qualified for the post-season, or if the Cubs haven't clinched 1st place by the end of play on Sunday and STL still has a chance to finish 1st in the Central and play at home in the Wild Card series.
Charlie 1 hour 8 min ago (view)
Maybe he should stick with it for a while.
Hagsag 5 hours 19 min ago (view)
Cardinals have two games left with Detroit, not the Cubs.
blockhead25 11 hours 35 sec ago (view)
Ahh, 2 games against the Tigers, but seems to imply they'd only play those games if it will impact which teams make the playoffs. If the Cardinals win their last 2, I don't believe the other games could impact which Team makes it. Why would Detroit have any incentive to win those games? Well, hope the Cubs won one of the next 2 so it doesn't matter.
crunch 11 hours 46 min ago (view)
yeah, it may be another team. i just know they have a possible monday double header...unless i got that wrong, too.
blockhead25 12 hours 16 min ago (view)
Cubs? We played the cards the full 10 slate?
if Cards make playoffs, I would think they'd want nothing to do with having to play a double header Monday to improve playoff seeding.
crunch 12 hours 24 min ago (view)
the cubs may or may not have to play a doubleheader vs STL on monday depending on the next game or 2...i think
blockhead25 12 hours 27 min ago (view)
How did the Cubs not just clinch the division?
Aren't the Cards only scheduled for 58 games?
beat Cards can do is 31-27. Worst Cubs can do is 33-27.
crunch 12 hours 46 min ago (view)
j.baez is batting left handed...and hits a double.
CWS have a position player "pitching"
crunch 12 hours 49 min ago (view)
2nd contreras homer...no bat flip, no staring down the pitcher, quick trip around the bases, into the dugout.
crunch 12 hours 49 min ago (view)
i wish more non-AFL winter league was televised. dominican, puerto rico, etc...you can straight up showboat if you've earned it on a play without having to deal with retaliation (most of the time). bat flips, pitcher celebrations, swagger home run trots, etc...all fair game. it's you know...fun.
Craig A. 13 hours 13 min ago (view)
Plunking a guy for a bat flip only proves the pitcher has thin skin and short fingers. I'm glad Contreras scored.
Cubster 13 hours 28 min ago (view)
I goofed wrt Bluejays/Astros. They clinched a WC #2 and 8 seed but Houston has a lock on West div team 2. The Indians will be 7 seed and wild card #1, abd team #3 from the central
crunch 13 hours 29 min ago (view)
hey, guess who just got a fastball in the back.
crunch 14 hours 18 min ago (view)
that contreras bat flip, tho...
Cubster 15 hours 47 min ago (view)
Cards lose game 1 of DH w Brewers