Pertuz Celebrates Return to Mesa
Fabian Pertuz belted a solo HR and an RBI single, Rafael Mejia drilled a solo HR and a double, Edmond Americaan smacked an RBI triple and scored a run, Yonathan Perlaza singled twice, walked, and scored a run, and Clayton Daniel roped a two-run single, in Cubs Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Tuesday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a seven-inning contest.
Pertuz was signed by the Cubs ($300K signing bonus) as a 16-year old shortstop in August 2017 out of Orlando Cabrera's Prospect Sport baseball academy in Colombia, and he attended both AZ Instructs post-2017 and Extended Spring Training in 2018 and appeared to be on a fast track to bypass the DSL and go directly to the AZL, only to be sent to the DSL last May after struggling both offensively and defensively in EXST game action. Despite the (slight) setback last year, Pertuz should be one of the Cubs top prospects in the AZL in 2019.
Here is the box score from today's game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Brennen Davis, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, L-3)
2. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, 4-3)
3. Christopher Morel, SS-3B: 0-3 (E-4, 5-3, K, R)
4a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
4b. Jonathan Soto, C: 0-1 (3-1)
5. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-1 (K)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
6. Fabian Pertuz, 3B-DH: 2-3 (1B, K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
7. Luis Verdugo, DH-SS: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-9)
8. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-2 (P-2, 5-4 FC, BB)
9. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 3-1, 2B. R, RBI)
10. Carlos Morfa, DH #3: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, R)
11a. Brandon Vicens, RF: 0-1 (BB, 6-3, CS)
11b. Raymond Pena, PH: 0-1 (K)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 1-4 (1B, P-3, 1-3, E-6, R, SB)
2. Edmond Americaan, CF: 1-3 (3B, 4-3, K, 4-3, R, RBI)
3. Luis Vazquez, SS: 0-2 (BB, 5-3, F-8, R)
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B-2B: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, R, CS)
5. Alexander Guerra, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, P-4, R)
6. Ezequiel Pagan, LF: 1-3 (1B, 3-6 FC, 1-U, R, RBI)
7. Josue Huma, 2B-3B: 0-1 (BB, F-7, BB, R, RBI, SB)
8. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R, RBI)
9. Clayton Daniel, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, F-9, F-8, 2 RBI)
10. Luis Diaz, DH #2: 1-3 (1B, K, 4-3, RBI, SB)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carlos Ocampo: 0.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 16 pitches (5 strikes)
2. Alexander Vargas: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Jake Stinnett: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Jack Patterson: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (6 strikes)
6. Jake Reindl: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
7. Ivan Medina: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kohl Franklin: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Jeremiah Estrada: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
3. Casey Ryan: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Alfredo Colorado: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GP/AO, 10 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Sean Barry: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Maikel Aguilar: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 3/0 GO/AO, 8 pitches (4 strikes)
7. Pablo Ochoa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
8. Blake Whitney: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (12 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (missed catch on attempted pick-off at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. SS Luis Verdugo: E-6 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
2B Josue Huma: E-4 (fielding miscue allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-2 CS
2. Jonathan Soto: 0-1 CS
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
erich081 4 hours 40 min ago (view)
Brach in during a one run game where the ball seems to be flying out of the park? I too like to live dangerously.
Eric S 4 hours 56 min ago (view)
Robel’s 454 foot splashdown - 6th longest homer by a Cub this season
Arizona Phil 6 hours 21 min ago (view)
RHP Aneuris Rosario (2014 IFA - Dominican Republic) has been reinstated from the Disqualified List. Now 24, Rosario spent four seasons in the DSL (2014-17) and was the one-time closer for DSL Cubs #1. He hasn't pitched since 2017.
Charlie 6 hours 42 min ago (view)
Last hurrah as a starter before the Cubs trade for an outfielder who gets on base?
crunch 7 hours 40 min ago (view)
i wonder why almora's started almost every game the past week+, especially since he's sucked at it...and he even got to hit leadoff for a game or 2.
Charlie 8 hours 8 min ago (view)
Oof. Almora and Maldonado as starters is going to be rough on the offense. Better hope for at least a Garcia triple.
crunch 8 hours 54 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / bryant / rizzo / garcia(2nd) / heyward / almora / maldo / a.mills
ham gets a AAA rehab start tomorrow. also, i could do with less almora.
QuietMan 15 hours 10 min ago (view)
Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,
George Altman 15 hours 25 min ago (view)
Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.
Mike Wellman 17 hours 33 min ago (view)
I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...
Dolorous Jon Lester 17 hours 55 min ago (view)
Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!
i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.
Charlie 18 hours 27 min ago (view)
Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.
He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.
That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
cubs lose, cards win, brews win.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.
Charlie 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?