Williams Perez Cruises at Extended Spring Training
RHSP Williams Perez hurled 6.2 IP of two-hit shut-out ball with seven strikeouts and a 10/3 GO/AO and Edgar Rondon singled, walked twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the Eugene Emeralds to a 6-2 victory over the Mesa Cubs in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Monday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Aramis Ademan drilled an RBI triple and a double for Mesa in a losing cause.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair, but was called with one out in the top of the 10th once all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the game got their work.
Ex-Boise State LB (and now full-time Cubs 1B) Joe Martarano took pre-game BP on Field #3 and looked pretty good, but he did not play in the game. Six recently-arrived position-players from the Cubs Dominican Academy (Yovanny Cuevas, Fernando Kelli, Fidel Mejia, Christopher Morel, Orian Nunez, and Yonathan Perlaza) did play in the game, however. (Henderson Perez has also arrived at EXST from the Dominican Academy, but he made his U. S. debut serving as one of the bullpen catchers).
Here is the box score from the game:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF 0-4 (K, L-8, K, K)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-4 (4-3, 3-U, 2B, 3B, RBI)
3a. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
3b. Samir Lara, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-4 (6-3, F-8, F-9, 6-3)
5. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-4 (3-U, K, 5-3, K)
6. Franklin Tineo, DH #1: 0-0 (BB, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, 2B, HBP)
8a. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 5-3)
8b. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-2 (P-4, 1B, RBI)
9. Rafael Narea, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, K)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, P-5, HBP)
11. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 1-3 (K, 4-3, 2B, R)
NOTE: SWITCHED SLOTS WITH GUTIERREZ THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-3 (L-7, 4-3, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-0 (L-9 SF, RBI)
2. Brandon Cummins, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, 4-3, R, 2 SB)
3. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-4 (F-8, F-9, F-8, P-4)
4 Michael Cruz, C-DH: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-1 (BB, K, SB, PO)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTINGN ORDER
6a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-2 (1B, P-6, R)
6b. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 0-1 (BB, 6-3)
7a. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (E-5, P-4)
7b. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
8. Fidel Mejia, DH-3B: 0-4 (L-4, 6-3, 4-6-3 DP, 6-3)
9. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
10. Christopher Morel, 3B-DH: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, R)
11. Carlos Diaz, DH-C: 0-3 (P-4, K, F-8)
1. Enrique de los Rios: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Tyler Peyton: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Javier Assad: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Junior Marte: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 35 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Luis Aquino: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
1. Williams Perez: 6.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 10/3 GO/AO, 87 pitches (59 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jed Carter: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
MESA ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Rafael Narea: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and two runs to score)
2. C Gustavo Polanco: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
3. P Junior Marte: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
EUGENE ERRORS: 1
C Carlos Diaz: E-2 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MESA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Miguel Amaya: 0-2 CS, 1 PO
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Diaz: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
bradsbeard 4 hours 1 min ago (view)
Great info. Thanks!
Arizona Phil 4 hours 1 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: What happens on 12/2 is each club submits what's called a "Central Tender Letter" to the MLB LRD listing which unsigned players on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) are being tendered a contract and which unsigned players are not being tendered a contract.
The CTL is sufficient as far as providing proof of contract tender.
For players being tendered contracts, the CTL must list the club's MLB salary offer, a minor league split salary offer (if the club so chooses), and performance bonuses (if any) the club is offering to the player.
crunch 12 hours 37 min ago (view)
theo walked away from a big payday for an executive in his last season as a cub without having another job scoped out...and according to him he's not even looking one.
something tells me this isn't going to be a fun off-season for cubs fans.
the state of the cubs household aside, i wouldn't exactly be shocked to see theo with the mets, though he's supposedly not on their radar at the moment.
Dolorous Jon Lester 13 hours 1 min ago (view)
The Cubs have been at the forefront of tone-deaf owners in terms of financial hardship during the pandemic. "The game isn't as profitable as most people think"
tim815 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
The decision on the amount comes later.
bradsbeard 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
At the point when the team makes the initial contract tender, do they have to offer a specific salary, and if so is that the same number the team takes into arbitration? Or does the specific number the teams files at for arbitration happen at a later date?
Arizona Phil 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: A player who is signed to a contract that does not include a minor league split salary is paid his full MLB salary while optioned or after being outrighted to a minor league club.
So if a player goes to arbitration and is awarded (let's say) a $2.5M salary by the arb panel, the contract will not include a minor league split salary or performance bonuses, and if the player is sent to the minors he is paid the full $2.5M while in the minors.
Hagsag 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Maybe Trump can give them a loan.
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
it's not exactly looking good when the cubs brass is complaining about "losing 100m in revenue" when a huge chunk of that seems to include Hotel Zachary. it looks like the entire "entertainment complex" is the cubs as far as the Ricketts are concerned...and the team might have to suffer a bit because they couldn't fully realize profits last year. they've publically stated that the big incoming tax credits from the city they're going to realize for stadium work won't help the cubs payroll.
jdrnym 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
If a player doesn't have a split salary in his contract, how much is he making when in the minors (or how is that salary determined)?
crunch 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
we want kyle schwarber to not be mark trumbo so badly...
either way, the NL having or not having the DH needs to be figured out pretty quickly for a lot of off-season sanity.
crunch 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
minor league hitting coordinator chris valaika moves up assistant hitting instructor for the big league team.
looks like a.iapoce's job is safe.
Cubster 3 days 15 hours ago (view)
Jed Hoyer gets a new 5 yr contract that runs through 2025 season.
Cubster 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
BA's list of 19 prospects who impressed at Instructs. One Cub:
Chase Strumpf, 2B, Cubs
Jackstraw 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
Waiting for Ryan Pace to be available. He should be a week from tomorrow.
crunch 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
i haven't even heard a rumor...which is interesting since "virtual" winter meetings start in a couple weeks.
surprised dan kantrovitz hasn't been named "interim GM" or something...which makes me wonder how wide of a net they're casting to fill the position. he was snagged from the A's and was an assistant GM there (and director of scouting for STL).