Williams Perez Cruises at Extended Spring Training
RHSP Williams Perez hurled 6.2 IP of two-hit shut-out ball with seven strikeouts and a 10/3 GO/AO and Edgar Rondon singled, walked twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the Eugene Emeralds to a 6-2 victory over the Mesa Cubs in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Monday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Aramis Ademan drilled an RBI triple and a double for Mesa in a losing cause.
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair, but was called with one out in the top of the 10th once all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw in the game got their work.
Ex-Boise State LB (and now full-time Cubs 1B) Joe Martarano took pre-game BP on Field #3 and looked pretty good, but he did not play in the game. Six recently-arrived position-players from the Cubs Dominican Academy (Yovanny Cuevas, Fernando Kelli, Fidel Mejia, Christopher Morel, Orian Nunez, and Yonathan Perlaza) did play in the game, however. (Henderson Perez has also arrived at EXST from the Dominican Academy, but he made his U. S. debut serving as one of the bullpen catchers).
Here is the box score from the game:
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF 0-4 (K, L-8, K, K)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-4 (4-3, 3-U, 2B, 3B, RBI)
3a. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-2 (K, 4-3)
3b. Samir Lara, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
4. Gustavo Polanco, C-DH: 0-4 (6-3, F-8, F-9, 6-3)
5. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 0-4 (3-U, K, 5-3, K)
6. Franklin Tineo, DH #1: 0-0 (BB, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Miguel Amaya, DH-C: 1-3 (5-3, 4-3, 2B, HBP)
8a. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-1 (BB, 5-3)
8b. Orian Nunez, 2B: 1-2 (P-4, 1B, RBI)
9. Rafael Narea, 3B: 2-4 (1B, 4-3, 1B, K)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, P-5, HBP)
11. Ruben Reyes, DH-LF: 1-3 (K, 4-3, 2B, R)
NOTE: SWITCHED SLOTS WITH GUTIERREZ THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
1a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-3 (L-7, 4-3, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-0 (L-9 SF, RBI)
2. Brandon Cummins, RF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, 4-3, R, 2 SB)
3. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-4 (F-8, F-9, F-8, P-4)
4 Michael Cruz, C-DH: 1-2 (1B, K, BB, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
5. Richard Nunez, DH #1: 0-1 (BB, K, SB, PO)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTINGN ORDER
6a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-2 (1B, P-6, R)
6b. Jhonny Bethencourt, SS: 0-1 (BB, 6-3)
7a. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-2 (E-5, P-4)
7b. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-1 (BB, F-9)
8. Fidel Mejia, DH-3B: 0-4 (L-4, 6-3, 4-6-3 DP, 6-3)
9. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (BB, BB, 1B, 5-3, R, SB)
10. Christopher Morel, 3B-DH: 0-1 (BB, K, BB, R)
11. Carlos Diaz, DH-C: 0-3 (P-4, K, F-8)
1. Enrique de los Rios: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 35 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Tyler Peyton: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Javier Assad: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
4. Junior Marte: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 4 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 35 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Luis Aquino: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
1. Williams Perez: 6.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K, 10/3 GO/AO, 87 pitches (59 strikes)
2. Nathan Sweeney: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Jed Carter: 0.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2 WP, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
MESA ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Rafael Narea: E-5 (errant throw to 1st base allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely and two runs to score)
2. C Gustavo Polanco: E-2 (errant throw to 3rd base on stolen base attempt allowed runner to score)
3. P Junior Marte: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
EUGENE ERRORS: 1
C Carlos Diaz: E-2 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
MESA CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Gustavo Polanco: 0-3 CS, 1 E (see above)
2. Miguel Amaya: 0-2 CS, 1 PO
EUGENE CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Diaz: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Arizona Phil 10 min 59 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have released OF Luis Berrelleza, INF Rochest Cruz, LHP Misael Garcia, OF Orlando Guzman, C-1B Brayan Mancilla, RHP Yander Montero, OF Carlos Pacheco, and OF John Rodriguez.
crunch 2 hours 54 min ago (view)
it screws up stats. i know you play for wins/losses, but real money is on the line for players and makes agent/player homework selling their client a bit harder.
it also makes historical comparisons difficult.
the amount of time i've seen a fresh inning starting out...bunt guy to 3rd for an out, IBB, IBB is too high. what would amount to a leadoff single following that can easily turn into 2 runs (1 earned) with guys on the corner...which usually leads to another IBB.
Charlie 4 hours 3 sec ago (view)
Jay Jaffe has a timely argument against the runner on second rule over at fangraphs: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-runner-on-second-i...
I still don't know why we don't just have ties. Obviously, the Cubs could have dodged most of these situations by simply hitting a little bit during the regulation innings.
Arizona Phil 6 hours 44 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed free-agent RHSP Adrian Sampson to a minor league contract and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa, and RHP Michael McAvene, LHP Jack Patterson, and OF Donnie Dewees have been placed on the 60-day IL to open up slots for Sampson, Trayce Thompson, and Kyle Ryan on the Cubs minor league 180-man Domestic Reserve List.
crunch 7 hours 9 min ago (view)
well that sucked.
2-game sweep, 2 games under .500
crunch 7 hours 35 min ago (view)
stumbled onto this today...clip from a 2019 ESPN broadcast game with boog, chipper jones, and david ross in the booth...
boog used to call games for ATL, btw...
tim815 10 hours 4 min ago (view)
Someone on social media was floating Yoelqui Cespedes to the Cubs in a Bryant trade.
I was clueless if it was permitted. It is.
Wrigley Rat 21 hours 5 min ago (view)
The Cubs have traded for outfielder Trayce Thompson, who was with the Diamondbacks at Triple-A, but is formerly of the big league White Sox, Dodgers, and A’s. The Diamondbacks are getting cash in the deal, which is a reflection of the reality that Thompson, 30, is a depth outfielder at this point in his career. Thompson is the younger brother of NBA star Klay Thompson. https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/05/11/cub...
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
i'd like to point out ross feels more comfortable with j.pederson and k.bryant in CF over j.heyward.
watching heyward not just look human in the OF, but having a bit of a hard time is rough. he's just not getting to stuff like he used to.
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
bryant out of the game for no apparent reason...that...doesn't seem good...
he's "under the weather" according the clubhouse. that's better than screwed up oblique or similar, at least.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
this shane bieber guy kinda sucks. 1 run in, bases loaded 0 outs.
i hope 4-5 innings of alzolay and the 5 pen guys after him hold it down.
...hey wow, bases loaded 0 out turns into 0 runs...very cubs.
George Altman 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Baseball wants more offense, fans want more action -- limit pitching staffs to 12, ideally transition to 11 over a 3 year period.
Teams are asking RPs to throw only 45 pitches a week. Think about that.
SPs who throw 175 IP/Yr will be museum pieces in 5 years.
It's not shifts. Oh....and electronic Strike zones as soon as possible.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
given that the starters are on pace to pitch around 150 innings this year they might need the zillion relievers.
i'm under the impression that d.ross got a new Fitbit exercise tracker prior to the season and likes to have excuses to walk to the mound for higher step counts. i'm going with this theory until proved otherwise.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
I get that 40 man rosters are complicated, but now we have 10 GD relievers and 3 bench guys, one of whom is an obviously injured Javy.
I can't wait until they reinstate the 13 pitchers maximum rule.
crunch 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
baez (again) a late scratch because back ouchies.
Arizona Phil 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
OF Jake Marisnick to 10-DAY IL, and Cubs recall LHRP Brad Wieck.