A's Top Cubs at Papago Park
Dayton Alexander knocked-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, leading the Athletics to a 7-3 victory over the Cubs in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #2 (AKA "Connie Mack Field") at the Papago Park Baseball Facility in Phoenix, AZ.
Eloy Jimenez drove-in two of the three Cub runs with a sharply-hit RBI ground single through the 5.5 hole with two outs in the 1st inning and a two-out bases loaded walk on a 3-2 pitch in the 5th.
The Cub offense collected more walks (8) than hits (3) in the game, while Cub pitchers surrendered more walks (8) than hits (6).
The game was pre-planned as a ten-inning affair so that all of the pitchers who were scheduled to throw today could get their work.
In EXST Cubs roster news, AAA Iowa OF Jae-Hoon Ha (post-2013 broken wrist) has completed his EXST rehab and has rejoined the I-Cubs, and INF Giuseppe Papaccio has been moved up to AA Tennessee.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 1-4 (K, BB, K, 1B, K, PO)
2a. Varonex Cuevas, 2B: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, BB, F-8, 2 R, SB)
2b. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 0-1 (K)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF-CF: 0-4 (F-8, K, BB, P-3, 6-3)
4. Eloy Jimenez, DH: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, BB, 5-3, K, 2 RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, BB, BB, 3-1, K, RBI)
6. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-4 (L-4, 3-U, 3-1, K)
7. Mark Malave, C: 0-3 (BB, K, K, 4-3)
8a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
8b. Roney Alcala, PH-3B: 0-2 (4-3, 4-3)
9a. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (4-3, 1B, F-7, R)
9b. Arnaldo Calero, RF: 0-1 (E-5)
1. Tyler Ihrig: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 40 pitches (25 strikes)
2. Jose Paulino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 24 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Hector Perez: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 4 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/FO, 38 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Frailyn Figueroa: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 1 BALK, 2/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 16 pitches (11 strikes)
6. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. 3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely and unearned run to score)
2. P Frailyn Figueroa - E-1 (overthrow on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed baserunner to advance to 3rd)
3. C Mark Malave - E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Mark Malave: 0-1 CS, 1 PB, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 90's
Charlie 25 min 24 sec ago (view)
There are so many candidates. The early season losing streak comes painfully to mind.
Charlie 25 min 52 sec ago (view)
JHey's swing looks like it slipped into groundout mode. That Nico lineout was heartbreaking. :(
Charlie 26 min 33 sec ago (view)
Threw Vanmeter a curve and changeup that both looked great on TV, though Vanmeter didn't offer.
Mike Wellman 2 hours 11 min ago (view)
First thing I'll point to, depending on the final order of finish, is the fact that, for the second year in a row we took the lead off of Hader in the 8th inning of a key late-season game @ Milwaukee & couldn't keep it. The second thing will be the game we led 5-0 after 7 & managed to lose. Nats next face Marlins. Cards come to town licking their chops/beaks to finish us off...
Dolorous Jon Lester 5 hours 17 min ago (view)
They’re toast. Can’t finish games, can’t finish series, and it looks very much like they won’t finish this season.
Hagsag 6 hours 34 min ago (view)
The Cubbies are in a tough situation. If they make the playoffs, they will have earned it!. Enjoy the ride folks.
Eric S 13 hours 58 sec ago (view)
Reds win season series 11-8 - possibly the first thing you point to should the Cubs miss the post season
Eric S 13 hours 7 min ago (view)
Long looking swing for JHey ... and Nico - oof
Eric S 13 hours 8 min ago (view)
Heard Len say Descalso’s name and about had a heart attack. Then heard him say “pinch runner” and settled down a bit
Charlie 13 hours 12 min ago (view)
Contreras's receiving didn't do Norwood any favors in that Vanmeter at-bat. And Norwood needed some favors.
Eric S 13 hours 18 min ago (view)
Gotta do better than three hits in nine innings in a start by Mahle - this one is on the bats
crunch 13 hours 23 min ago (view)
4th pitcher of the inning coming in...neat
crunch 13 hours 27 min ago (view)
crunch 13 hours 35 min ago (view)
i'm all about kemp protecting a lead in the last few innings or getting to play after some pinch running, but that dude's bat is getting way too much work. now that getting him starts isn't a priority he's still getting a lot of early shots off the bench at the plate.
i hope to not see him next season.
Eric S 13 hours 37 min ago (view)
Until Russell gets off the concussion protocol and/or Baez returns, Kemp may be the best option at second for defense, but Bote certainly better there defensively than Happ or Zobrist
crunch 13 hours 48 min ago (view)
he made a killer play before that, but that sprinting clanker was ugly even if he was rushing it because of the runner speed.
that said, i would have little issue seeing him at 2nd over happ or zobrist. i like his play there.
he's played some straight junk 3rd base this year, which is weird because he played it well last year (short sample size etc)