Fujikawa out, plus Sat. game thread: Giants (7-4) v. Cubs (4-6)

The bad news--or is it good news?--is that the Cubs' closer position is back up for grabs. Kyuji Fujikawa, tagged for 3 runs in yesterday's blown save, has been placed on the 15-day DL with a right forearm strain. Rafael Dolis is taking his roster spot. Per Toni Giannetti in the Sun-Times, the Cubs will resort to closer by committee. James Russell and Shawn Camp are Dale Sveum's likely finishers.

Saturday lineups after the jump.

The Giants and Cubs meet in game three of their four-game series in a little less than an hour.

Giants lineup v. Samardzija (1-1, 2.63; coming off 13K effort in loss to Braves): Blanco 7; Scutaro 4; Sandoval 5; Posey 2; Pence 9; Belt 3; Torres 8; Crawford 6; Bumgarner 1

Cubs lineup v. Bumgarner (2-0, 1.32; threw stunning opener to beat Dodgers, 8 shutout IP, 2H): Sappelt 8; Castro 6; Rizzo 3; Soriano 7; Hairston 9; Castillo 2; Lillibridge 5; Gonzalez 4; Shark 1

Comments

It's Rondon time!

tHom Brennaman in town doing the game for Fox. Any volunteers to go kick him in the nuts?

Stupid Fox blackouts.

agreed...i cut my afternoon short to catch the last 1/2 of the game only to remember it's Fox Stupidity day...aka, the NYY/NYM/BOS/ATL game of the week for the east coast people. today, ATL's turn.

Mercifully, there're other streaming options...

sho nuff... also, woo...2 on, 0 out. also, judging by my stream feed vs gameday there's not much of a delay (less than 1m)...unless gameday is lagging badly.

Dinner Navarro is the awesome.

wtf panda belly bounce...that was lucky.

barf welly...sigh...

predictable double play by Beefy ends the inning...I don't even think he was half way down the line by the time they turned it.

nice play by Panda in the 9th...could have used Bartman there.

Clevenger K's to end game and looks like he tore a muscle or something in his back or on his side (oblique, lat) on the swing...crumpled to the ground.

crushing blow...there goes the playoffs. http://i.imgur.com/b6maEUE.gif if he goes DL they can at least bring up...umm...uh...umm...damn. wonder if they'd dare to bring up logan watkins with d.barney so close to being ready...if they do, hope he gets some real playing time at 2nd. i imagine it'd be a reliever...brooks/raley, though.

Off day Monday. Barney scheduled back on Tuesday. I bet they wait.

ah, i didn't know he was so close to be being back...i thought it was gonna be another week.

I'm sure they want a lefty. That's the whole reason Clev got the job in the first place. I'd assume it's either Bogusevic or Nelson at this point. Probably not Jackson yet.

they'd have to re-arrange the 40 man to get that done. they recently lost r.whitenack (no big deal, imo) because they didn't have anyone to shuffle off it.

That's true. The only lefty hitters on the 40-man and not on the 25-man are Stewart, Jackson, and Watkins. Based on AZ Phil's reports, it sounds like Stewart is progressing but probably not ready to go imminently. Depending on Clev's severity he might be a 60-day DL or DFA candidate. It sounds like decision time.

JOHN B: I have mentioned this before, but the Cubs could recall Junior Lake from his Optional Assignment and place him on the 60-day DL. That would open up a slot on the 40.

The two reasons why the Cubs would not want to do this are:

1. Lake would accrue MLB Service Time while on the 60-day DL.

2. Lake would get paid at the MLB salary rate (about $2,763 per day) rather than the "minor league split" salary rate (about $438 per day) while he is on the MLB 60-day DL.

Still, if the Cubs want to open up a slot on the 40 and don't want to take a chance of losing somebody on waivers, they could do this.

"Steve Clevenger has been diagnosed with a left oblique injury and will likely be placed on the 15-day DL."

idiots behind home plate...meh... this [email protected] game...this jerk off behind home plate has been waiving yellow cloth trying to "distract" verlander all game...his wife/girlfriend/whatever keeps waving around a stuffed animal. i feel worse for the guy who's increasingly looking peeved behind him trying to watch a game from his multi-hundred dollar seat trying to keep his cool.

as long as they are dressed correctly http://deadspin.com/dodgers-fans-at-chase-fie...

m.harvey (NYM) no hitter through 6ip...76 pitches

over after 6.2ip...moreknow homer.

Crunch'd

• Cubster 10 hours 3 min ago (view)

Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...

"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)

• Hagsag 12 hours 11 min ago (view)

Thanks crunch.

• crunch 22 hours 8 min ago (view)

It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated.  coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019.  last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.

we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).

• Hagsag 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.

• azbobbop 1 day 23 hours ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 2 days 8 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 2 days 23 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 21 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 3 days 23 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 4 days 3 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 4 days 8 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 4 days 11 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.