Alzolay Breezes Through Five at Riverview

RHSP Adbert Alzolay hurled five innings (75 pitches) of one-run ball with seven strikeouts, Yovanny Cuevas knocked-in four runs with a two-run single and a two run double, Gustavo Polanco belted a solo HR and singled twice (including an RBI single), and Fidel Mejia drilled a two-run double and a single and scored twice, leading the Cubs to a 10-2 victory over the Angels in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Saturday morning on Field #6 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

Prior to the game, RHPs Yovanny Cruz, Eduarniel Nunez, Jesus Tejada, Garrett Kelly, and Stephen Ridings, and LHP Riger Fernandez threw "live" BP on Field #4. Y. Cruz, Fernandez, and Tejada attended AZ Instructs post-2017 but did not pitch in any games, but E. Nunez is making his U. S. debut at Extended Spring Training this year. G. Kelly (ex-MIN) was acquired by the Cubs from Schaumburg (Frontier League) last month but he has not yet pitched in a game.

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1a. Fernando Kelli, LF: 1-2 (K, 5-3 SH, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 0-2 (E-6, 6-3)
2a. Yovanny Cuevas, CF: 2-3 (F-9, 1B, 2B, R, 4 RBI)
2b. Luis Ubiera, CF: 0-1 (K, BB)
3a. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, F-7)
3b. Henrry Pedra, PH-DH: 0-2 (L-5, F-8)
4. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-3 (4-3, 5-3, 1B, BB, R, RBI)
5a. Alexander Guerra, C: 1-3 (P-4, 2B, K, R)
5b. Eric Gonzalez, C: 0-0 (BB)
6. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 1-4 (4-3, 1B, L-6, E-6, R)
7. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 3-4 (1B, 1B, HR, 5-4-3 DP, 2 R, 2 RBI)
8. Fabian Pertuz, DH-SS: 0-4 (4-3, F-7, E-5, 6-3)
9a. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 2-3 (1B, 2B, 3-6-3 DP, 2 R, 2 RBI)
9b. Herson Perez, 3B: 0-1 (K)
10. Roberto Caro, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 1-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED SECOND TIME THRU BATTING ORDER

CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Adbert Alzolay: 5.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 7 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 4/2 GO/AO, 75 pitches (46 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 36 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Ryan McNeil: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Herson Perez: E-5 (two-base fielding error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alexander Guerra: 1-1 CS

ATTENDANCE: 27

WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 70's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

Glad to see the Cubbies have brought a bunch of young kids from the D.R. Academy. Kind of surprised that Floencio Serrano isnt in camp. I believe he was a highly regarded signee from Mexico.

Extra looks/swings/reps for players are usually a net benefit. Getting two games in per day for as many options as possible shouldn't be a negative.

• Cubster 25 min 31 sec ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 4 hours 9 min ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 16 hours 26 sec ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 21 hours 15 min ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 1 day 13 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 1 day 15 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 1 day 19 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 2 days 1 hour ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 2 days 6 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 2 days 10 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 2 days 12 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 2 days 14 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 2 days 15 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 2 days 16 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.