Cubs Walk-Off Victory Totally Wild at Riverview Park

Joe Martarano raced home from 3rd base with the winning run on a walk-off wild pitch with one out in the bottom of the 9th, as the Cubs edged the Giants "black" squad 2-1 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Saturday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

Martarano laced an opposite-fiold  triple into the RF corner in his first PA, in what was his first game AB in almost two years. (Martarano returned to baseball last week after playing football at Boise State).

1B Chris Dominguez (on AAA Iowa 7-day DL) reached base three times (solo HR, single, and an HBP) in his first game action in about three weeks.

LHRP Manny Parra (April 2016 TJS) needed only nine pitches to throw a scoreless inning in the game, and Cubs relievers Luis Aquino, Juan Carlos Paniagua, and David Garner combined to retire the last 12 Giants batters they faced (including seven on strikeouts), with Garner striking out the side in the top of the 9th. (Paniagua and Garner are at Extended Spring Training waiting for a slot to open up in the Tennessee or Iowa bullpen).

LHP Ryan Kellogg saw his first game action since returning to the Cubs from Team Canada and the WBC last month. The big left-hander threw two perfect innings (32 pitches)

Jacob Hannemann (on AA Tennessee 7-day DL - right knee injury) continued his EXST rehab, playing CF and batting five times in the game (once in each of the first five innings), going 1-4 with a double and a sac bunt.

RHSP Williams Perez was scheduled to start the game (he threw 6.2 IP of two-hit shutout ball in an intrasquad game last Monday) but was scratched, possibly because he may be moving-up to Iowa. (I-Cubs RHSP Alec Mills went on the DL yesterday with an ankle injury).

RHP Casey Kelly (three innings - 45 pitches), RHP Jose Albertos (one inning - 15 pitches), and RHP Carlos Ocampo (one inning - 15 pitches) threw "live" BP on Field #2 prior to the start of the game on Field #1. Kelly is on the Iowa 7-day DL after spending most of Spring Training with the big club at Sloan Park, Albertos (one of the Cubs top pitching prospects) has been in the Rehab Throwing Program at Riverview Park since reporting to Minor League Camp last month and has yet to throw in a game, and Ocampo just arrived from the Cubs Dominican Academy (his expected arrival was delayed by a few days).

Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
X. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 1-4 (P-6, 4-3, 1-3 SH, F-9, 2B)
NOTE: Hannemann batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1. Zach Davis, LF: 0-3 (L-9, BB, 4-3, K)
2. Joe Martarano, DH #1: 1-3 (3B, F-7, 6-3, HBP, R)
3a. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-2 (6-3, 2B)
3b. Luis Diaz, 2B: 1-2 (K, 1B)
4. Chris Dominguez, DH-1B: 2-2 (HR, HBP, 1B, R, RBI)
5a. Michael Cruz, 1B: 1-2 (2B, F-7)
5b. Jose A. Gonzalez, CF: 0-0 (BB)
6a. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-1 (K)
6b. Edgar Rondon, 2B-SS: 0-2 (4-3, K)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 0-3 (F-7, F-7, E-6, CS)
8. Fidel Mejia, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-4, CS)
9a. Carlos Diaz, C: 0-2 (K, L-7)
9b. Richard Nunez, C: 1-1 (1B)
10. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-3 (K, K, K)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
2. Ryan Kellogg: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Enrique de los Rios: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO,, 34 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 23 pitches (16 strikes)
5. Juan Carlos Paniagua: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12pitches (8 strikes)
6. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 16 pitches (13 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. P Enrique de los Rios: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (arrant throw on infield single allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
3. C Richard Nunez: E-2 (errant throw to 2nd base on stolen base attempt allowed ruinner to advance to 3rd)

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Richard Nunez: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)

ATTENDANCE: 25
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

Comments

John Arguello at Cubs Den has lots of great photos and game notes from Saturday's Extended Spring Training link

• Wrigley Rat 15 hours 1 min ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 16 hours 52 min ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 21 hours 9 min ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 22 hours 27 min ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.

• Karl Pagel Blues 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!

• crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)

no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning.  phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this.  lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.

also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.

• George Altman 1 day 14 hours ago (view)

Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.

• Alexander Dimm 1 day 16 hours ago (view)

Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read.  However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it.  I hope you can hang in there.

Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.

• Childersb3 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.

Hope it stays in any form possible.

Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.

• bradsbeard 1 day 17 hours ago (view)

Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.

• Sonicwind75 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site.  I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s.  Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter.  I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.

• Hagsag 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

Thank you Phil, I can see this is a work of love.

• Wrigley Rat 2 days 20 hours ago (view)

Cubs Reportedly Sign Powerful Infielder Alejandro Rivero Out of Indy Ball: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/21/cubs-reportedly-sign-powe...

• crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)

* except for playing 1st base