Cubs Sweep D'backs at Salt River Fields
Andruw Monasterio (two doubles and a single) and Kevonte Mitchell (two singles and a sacrifice fly) knocked-in three runs a piece and every player in the lineup (including four late-inning replacements) collected at least one hit as part of a 19-hit attack, helping the Cubs maul the Diamondbacks 15-6 on Whirlwind Field, and 6'8 LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled three innings of no run/no hit ball with no walks and four strikeouts and Yonathan Perlaza drilled a two-run single with two outs in the top of the 8th to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead, as the Cubs rallied to defeat the D'backs 4-2 on Quail Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
On the negative side, Cubs Squad "A" committed six errors in the game on Whirlwinfd Field, despite winning the game by nine runs.
For the D'backs, Ramon Hernandez slugged a two-run home run on Quail Field and Luis Silverio belted an RBI triple and a single and scored two runs on Whirlwind Field.
John Arguello (Cubs Den) has game notes and a photo slide-shoiw from Salt River Fields
And here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-3 (1-3, BB, L-7, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-2 (2B, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 2-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 1B, R, SB)
2b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (E-8, 1B, R)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF 2-5 (K, F-9 SF, 1B, K, 1B, K, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, R)
4b. Alberto Mineo, PH-1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH-LF: 1-4 (1B, HBP, K, K, F-9 SF, F-8, R, RBI)
6. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-5 (BB, F-9, K, 4-3, 1B, F-9, 2 R)
7. Jonathan Sierra, LF-DH: 1-4 (3-U, 4-3, 1B, K, BB, R, RBI)
8. Andruw Monasterio, SS-DH: 3-5 (1B, 2B, K, 4-3, 2B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-1 (1B, HBP, RBI)
9b. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, 5-3, R, RBI)
10. Aramis Ademan, DH-SS: 2-5 (K, 3-1, 1B, E-9, 1B, 2 R)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Kyle Miller: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/AO, 48 pitches (31 strikes)
2. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Enrique de los Rios: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Daniel Lewis: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 27 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQIAD "A" ERRORS: 6
1. P Kyle Miller: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 2B Yeiler Peguero; E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (errant throw on 6-4 FC attempt allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)
4. 3B Rafael Mejia: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. SS Aramis Ademan: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
6. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory extended AB for batter)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-3 (5-3, L-9, K)
1b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Rafael Narea, SS: 1-2 (1B, BB, F-8, 2 SB)
2b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-1 (1B, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-9, F-9, 5-3, HBP, R, SB)
4a. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 5-3, F-9)
4b. Jose Gonzalez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
5. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 1B, 5-3)
7. Ricardo Marcano, 3B: 1-4 (1B, F-9, F-8, K)
8. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, F-9, 1B, R)
9a. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 1-2 (E-3, 1B, SB)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, PH: 1-1 (1B, R)
10. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-7, K, 3-4 SH)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ricardo Marcano: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 1-3 CS
2. Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Cubster 4 hours 12 min ago (view)
Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.
Jackstraw 16 hours 4 min ago (view)
Don't let short-term market fluctuations diminsh your enthusiasm for a great long-term investment.
crunch 18 hours 15 min ago (view)
freddy freeman + aaron nola are also positive star players.
the scary thing is freeman tested negative on tuesday. by thursday he was sick and tested positive shortly afterwards. some may question the strength of the MLB test if they were the ones who gave freeman's initial negative...
Cubster 19 hours 7 min ago (view)
COVID positive: LeMahieu NYY; Sano MIN; S Perez KC.
crunch 21 hours 5 sec ago (view)
phillies now have 7 down with covid...freddy freeman (ATL) has symptomatic covid with fever/chills/aches for the past 3 days...some players on multiple teams are still awaiting initial test results so they can join spring training 2.0 with their teams...
also, this photo of pablo sandoval (SF) taking grounders at 3rd... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcHFTylVcAAE5SI?format...
Cubster 21 hours 27 min ago (view)
Wittenmeyer tweet: Hendricks and Darvish combine for 4 Ks in a pair of scoreless half-innings.
Press box wag: "Cubs hitting sucks this year"
crunch 23 hours 10 min ago (view)
2020 schedule to be announced monday (tentative).
crunch 23 hours 11 min ago (view)
d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.
LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA. ow. that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.
Hagsag 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.
crunch 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.
twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade! sigh...
but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.
crunch 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.
Arizona Phil 1 day 22 hours ago (view)
With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
the cubs were searching car seats for coins to sign the scraps they managed to get this offseason. i imagine doing everything "in house" might be on the table.
the ricketts will need all the money they can spare to dump into GOP elections, too. priorities. btw, yes the family has been dumping 100s of thousand (to the tune of millions combined) over the past few months into state elections in areas they don't live in. wisconsin, nevada, new york, georgia, etc...millions...many millions of dollars all over the country.
Arizona Phil 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: Once the MLB regular season starts, the "Practice Squad" will be a sub-group of the Club Player Pool, as will be the MLB Active List roster and the various MLB injured lists.