Cubs Sweep D'backs at Salt River Fields
Andruw Monasterio (two doubles and a single) and Kevonte Mitchell (two singles and a sacrifice fly) knocked-in three runs a piece and every player in the lineup (including four late-inning replacements) collected at least one hit as part of a 19-hit attack, helping the Cubs maul the Diamondbacks 15-6 on Whirlwind Field, and 6'8 LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled three innings of no run/no hit ball with no walks and four strikeouts and Yonathan Perlaza drilled a two-run single with two outs in the top of the 8th to turn a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 lead, as the Cubs rallied to defeat the D'backs 4-2 on Quail Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
On the negative side, Cubs Squad "A" committed six errors in the game on Whirlwinfd Field, despite winning the game by nine runs.
For the D'backs, Ramon Hernandez slugged a two-run home run on Quail Field and Luis Silverio belted an RBI triple and a single and scored two runs on Whirlwind Field.
John Arguello (Cubs Den) has game notes and a photo slide-shoiw from Salt River Fields
And here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-3 (1-3, BB, L-7, 1B, R, SB)
1b. Roberto Caro, CF: 1-2 (2B, E-6, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 2-4 (K, F-8, 1B, 1B, R, SB)
2b. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (E-8, 1B, R)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF 2-5 (K, F-9 SF, 1B, K, 1B, K, R, 3 RBI)
4a. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 1-1 (BB, 1B, BB, R)
4b. Alberto Mineo, PH-1B: 1-2 (BB, 1B, 4-3, R, 2 RBI)
5. Kwang-Min Kwon, DH-LF: 1-4 (1B, HBP, K, K, F-9 SF, F-8, R, RBI)
6. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-5 (BB, F-9, K, 4-3, 1B, F-9, 2 R)
7. Jonathan Sierra, LF-DH: 1-4 (3-U, 4-3, 1B, K, BB, R, RBI)
8. Andruw Monasterio, SS-DH: 3-5 (1B, 2B, K, 4-3, 2B, R, 3 RBI)
9a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-1 (1B, HBP, RBI)
9b. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-3 (4-3, 2B, 5-3, R, RBI)
10. Aramis Ademan, DH-SS: 2-5 (K, 3-1, 1B, E-9, 1B, 2 R)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Kyle Miller: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/AO, 48 pitches (31 strikes)
2. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Tyler Peitzmeier: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (14 strikes)
4. Enrique de los Rios: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 17 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Daniel Lewis: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/4 GO/AO, 27 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQIAD "A" ERRORS: 6
1. P Kyle Miller: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
2. 2B Yeiler Peguero; E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
3. SS Andruw Monasterio: E-6 (errant throw on 6-4 FC attempt allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)
4. 3B Rafael Mejia: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
5. SS Aramis Ademan: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
6. 1B Alberto Mineo: E-3 (dropped pop fly in foul territory extended AB for batter)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 0-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. Luis Ayala, LF: 0-3 (5-3, L-9, K)
1b. Yohan Matos, LF: 0-1 (K)
2a. Rafael Narea, SS: 1-2 (1B, BB, F-8, 2 SB)
2b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-1 (1B, 2 RBI, CS)
3. Trey Martin, CF: 0-3 (F-9, F-9, 5-3, HBP, R, SB)
4a. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-3 (F-8, 5-3, F-9)
4b. Jose Gonzalez, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
5. Chris Pieters, 1B: 1-4 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3, 1B, RBI)
6. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 1-4 (4-3, F-9, 1B, 5-3)
7. Ricardo Marcano, 3B: 1-4 (1B, F-9, F-8, K)
8. Kevin Zamudio, DH-C: 1-3 (6-3, F-9, 1B, R)
9a. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 1-2 (E-3, 1B, SB)
9b. Gustavo Polanco, PH: 1-1 (1B, R)
10. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-7, K, 3-4 SH)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 3.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 4/0 GO/AO, 33 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Tommy Nance: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/3 GO/AO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 1
3B Ricardo Marcano: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 1-3 CS
2. Kevin Zamudio: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny and a bit breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Hagsag 2 hours 8 min ago (view)
Explain how Lobaton is on this team?
Jackstraw 11 hours 32 min ago (view)
The Cubs have looked pretty April for the last week.
George Altman 13 hours 1 min ago (view)
I'm pretty sure I've seen enough of Arrieta and Davies to last me the rest of the summer.
crunch 15 hours 37 min ago (view)
e.sogard pitching...the highlight of the last 2 games, easy...
3 popouts...threw mid/high 60s batting practice lobs with some sink
he's scoreless through 2ip in his career. david ross career pitching comps...
crunch 16 hours 34 min ago (view)
same...only it's coffee...which isn't helping. yesterday's trash game got a sequel.
crunch 16 hours 36 min ago (view)
yeah...we can go ahead and send cory abbott back down...
crunch 16 hours 47 min ago (view)
hopefully the cubs can work out an extension for jason heyward to keep him around til then.
Hagsag 16 hours 47 min ago (view)
This game is making me drink a lot.
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 58 min ago (view)
Just wait til the 2030 season, those kids will be entering their prime then. Look out NL Central!
crunch 18 hours 3 min ago (view)
im starting to think spending 12.6m of payroll on davies/arrietta while trading darvish away for davies and a slew of kids that dont even make the cubs top 10 prospect list wasn't a good idea.
oh yeah, cubs gave SD money in that deal, too...that's even better.
Arizona Phil 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHP Justin Shafer (ex-MIA) from Kansas City (American Association) and he has been assigned to AAA Iowa.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
he -really- needs to cue into this is a cubs broadcast and not a national/neutral broadcast.
dude...don't get excited about marlins 3-run homers.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
lot of people wanted him when len left. he's got a long game calling history, but not too much for baseball. he did host "baseball tonight" for ESPN for a quite a while, so the game isn't a mystery to him.
i find him a bit boring/dry. some people like that he has that oldschool "announcer voice" thing going on.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
He's uhhh.. not very good at it. Glad he wasn't the hire for the main role.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
wow...chris myers calling the cubs game for some reason (boog out for the MIA series).
he is a marquee talent, but he's not been used to call a game as far as i know.
also, zach davies looks like a kid in pajamas in those dark blue "wrigleyville" uniforms.
crunch 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
t.williams threw a 25 pitch pen thursday