Fitch Park Was Land of the Giants Today
Hector Mercedes roped a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 6th and Randy Ortiz tripled and singled, scored two runs, and stole a base, leading one squad of Giants to a 9-3 victory on Field #2, and Cristian Otero smacked a two-run triple, singled twice, and scored three runs, Alberto Robles drove-in two runs with an RBI double and an RBI single, and Ryan Jones doubled twice, stole a base, and scored a run, leading the other squad of Giants to a 9-2 victory on Field #3, as the Cubs were swept in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader played this morning at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
Garrett Schlecht (two-run triple and a walk), Jacob Rogers (solo HR), Shawon Dunston Jr (single, triple, and a run scored), and Jose Dore (RBI triple and a run scored) provided what Cub offense there was.
Here are the box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
FITCH PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 0-3 (6-3, K, 5-3)
2. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 6-3, SB)
3. Kevin Encarnacion, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, K, 1B, R)
4. Jeffrey Baez, CF: 0-3 (F-8, F-9, K)
5. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-3 (E-6, F-9, 3B, R, RBI)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF: 0-3 (E-6, K, 5-3, R)
7. Garrett Schlecht, LF: 1-2 (3B, 4-3, BB, 2 RBI)
8. Luis Acosta, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, F-8)
9. Wilfredo Petit, C: 0-2 (K, K)
10. Alberto Mineo, DH #2 1-2 (1B, 4-3)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. James Pugliese: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 21 pitches (17 strikes), 2/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Martinez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 44 pitches (22 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
3. Jasvir Rakkar: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 39 pitches (27 strikes), 1/3 GO/FO
4. David Cales: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 22 pitches (14 strikes), 1/0 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: (4)
1. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach 2nd base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (dropped throw after 5-4 FC allowed runner at 3rd base to score unearned run)
3. 2B Bryant Flete - E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Luis Acosta - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 0-1 CS, 1 PB
FITCH PARK FIELD #3
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Shawon Dunston Jr, CF: 2-3 (5-3, 1B, 3B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 4-3)
3. Dong-Yub Kim, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 5-3, 5-3)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, DH #2: 0-3 (6-4-3 DP, 5-3, K)
5. Xavier Batista, RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, K)
6. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 2-3 (HR, 1B, K, R, RBI)
7. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-2 (K, 5-4 FC, BB)
8. Carlos Penalver, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 6-3, F-9)
9. Neftali Rosario, C: 0-2 (5-3, F-7)
10. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-2 (1B, F-8)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Paul Blackburn: 3.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 51 pitches (32 strikes), 3/4 GO/FO
2. Tyler Bremer: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 46 pitches (31 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Hunter Ackerman: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 14 pitches (10 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
4. Daniel Adrian: 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 BALK, 31 pitches (17 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
NOTE: Adrian's inning was stopped with two outs when he reached his pre-planned max pitch limit
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: (1)
CF Shawon Dunston Jr - E-8 (three-base fielding error on line single allowed batter to circle the bases and score unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Neftali Rosario: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy and VERY breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Arizona Phil 2 hours 46 sec ago (view)
Someone to keep an eye on in 2021 is RHP (ex-1B) Jerrick Suiter.
He was selected by the Cubs from the Pirates in the AAA Phase of the 2019 Rule 5 Draft and the Cubs immediately converted him from a mediocre AA first-baseman to a full-time pitcher, having seen him throw garbage innings in blow-outs for the Pirates AA Altoona affiliate in 2019.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 hours 36 min ago (view)
Good to see Roederer and Velasquez providing some production. From what I've followed they haven't been up to much. Granted this season isn't great for development
Arizona Phil 7 hours 39 min ago (view)
The Cubs have added OF Brennen Davis to their AZIL Active List roster.
crunch 9 hours 1 min ago (view)
"He's a strong kid and shows a lot of HR power in BP and it's just a matter of making it game-usable."
reggie golden flashblacks...if BP was a game he'd be an all-star.
Arizona Phil 9 hours 55 min ago (view)
Unfortunately for the Cubs, all of their Top 10 position-player prospects (M. Amaya, Davis, Hearn, Howard, Made, C. Morel, R. Morel, Quintero, Roederer, and Strumpf -- listed alphabetically) are two or more years away from the big leagues, in most cases more like three or four or even five years away.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 11 min ago (view)
TIM: One of the things people wonder about when they see a young shortstop for the first time is does he have the arm and range necessary to play SS or would his tools maybe be better suited for 2B, 3B or OF. So far at Instructs Kevin Made has shown all of the attributes of a SS, and he is an advanced hitter (for his age) as well.
Arizona Phil 10 hours 49 min ago (view)
AZBOBBOP: Ethan Hearn showed off his plus-arm by back-picking a runner off 1st base last week. You don't see catchers with the confidence to attempt pick-offs much out here.
He's a strong kid and shows a lot of HR power in BP and it's just a matter of making it game-usable. His hitting (contact and barreling) has improved at instructs, and that's one of the things he needed to improve.
His receiving should improve with experience as well.
azbobbop 23 hours 55 min ago (view)
Phil, saw Ethan Hearn with a couple of hits today. How has he been trending?
tim815 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
That Kevin Made is already representing offensively seems, on the 1 to 10 scale with 10 being fantastic news, in the 17 or 18 range.
Nwogu in the 9 to 11 span.
Arizona Phil 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
For those of you wondering about catcher Ronnier Quintero (the Cubs #1 IFA signing in the 2019-20 ISP), he participates fully in pre-game and Camp Day work-outs and he catches bullpens, and while he has been the bullpen catcher at every AZIL game he has not yet played in a game.
As a catcher he has a lot to learn, and the Cubs would prefer that Quintero mainly concentrates on receiving and learning how to work with pitchers right now. He can learn about hitting and baserunning later.
Arizona Phil 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
In adition to the 22 pitchers originally on the Cubs AZIL Active List roster plus RHP Manuel Rodriguez (right biceps strain last March) and LHP Brad Wieck (wearing a brace on his left knee) who are on the Cubs MLB 60-day IL and are rehabbing at AZIL, the Cubs have added four additional pitchers to their AZIL Active List roster:
RHP Josh Burgmann
RHP Chris Clarke
LHP D. J. Herz
RHP Michael McAvene
Charlie 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
This is weird. He seemed well liked and shifting him to another role would've made just as much sense.
bradsbeard 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
I'd say the only guys who struggled all season were Baez and Bryant. Willson struggled for a lot of August but was one of the few who hit in September. Most of the team hit well in 2019 (including Baez and Bryant before injuries derailed them). I don't know if there's any reason to blame Ipoce in particular for the September slump.
crunch 4 days 59 min ago (view)
iapoce expected to stay. i'm surprised. i know it's a weird/short season, but it was a season-long slump for a lot of guys and answers weren't showing up.
crunch 4 days 1 hour ago (view)
i eagerly await the espn 10 part mini-series "Rafael Palmeiro, More Like Rafael Baseballmerio" covering those 28 legendary games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 days 2 hours ago (view)
In fairness those 28 games he played at 1B were breathtaking that year