Sands & Steele Help Cubs Polish-Off Giants in Scottsdale
LHP Carson Sands (Cubs 2014 4th round draft pick) and three relievers combined to toss a three-hitter, Carlos Sepulveda singled twice, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Eloy Jimenez (RBI single) and Adonis Paula (two-run single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 4th inning, as the Cubs cruised to a 5-1 victory over the Giants on Field #1, and Kevin Encarnacion drilled three singles, drove-in two runs, stole a base, and scored a run, Jordan Hankins hammered an RBI double and a single and scored a run, and Justin Steele (Cubs 2014 5th round draft pick) and four relievers combined to hurl a three-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Giants 5-4 on Field #2, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Chase Compton belted a two-run triple and then scored on a wild pitch to account for three of the Giants runs on Field #2.
The defensive play of the day was a run-saving sliding catch by Cubs CF Roberto Caro in right-centerfield in the game on Field #2.
Iowa Cubs catcher Taylor Teagarden (on the I-Cubs 7-day DL with a sore shoulder) continued his EXST rehab, catching seven innings and batting four times in the game on Field #1. He went 2-4 with a double and a single at the plate, scored one run but was also thrown-out on the bases trying to advance from 1st to 3rd on a two-out single, and made a terrible short-hop throw on a stolen base attempt that resulted in an error. Teagarden went 4-4 (three singles and a two-run home run) versus the Rockies on Wednesday, and then he had two more hits in an intrasquad game yesterday. His throwing has been poor, however (not just today, but every day so far).
Ho-Young Son walked twice and was picked-off 1st base again, the third time he has been picked-off 1st base in two EXST games.
The game on Field #1 was called after eight innings, and the game on Field #2 was called with two outs in the top of the 8th
Here is the abridged box score from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 0-4 (K, 4-3, K, 4-6 FC)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 2-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 4-6-3 DP, 2 R, SB)
3a. Taylor Teagarden, C: 2-4 (5-3, 2B, 1B, K, R)
3b. Eric Gonzalez, C: NO AB
4a. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 1-3 (K, 1B, K, R, RBI, SB)
4b. Jenner Emeterio, PH-RF: 0-1 (6-3)
5a. Tyler Alamo, DH: 1-2 (F-8, HBP, 1B, R, RBI)
5b. Wladimir Galindo, PH-3B: 1-1 (1B)
6a. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-3 (F-9, 1B, F-9, 2 RBI)
6b. Rafael Narea, PH-SS: 0-1 (K)
7. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-3 (3-1, 3-U, F-7, RBI)
8. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-1 (BB, BB, P-3, PO)
9. Miguel Rico, 1B: 0-2 (K, F-9, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Carson Sands: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (17 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 2/2 GO/FO, 28 pitches (18 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/FO, 25 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/5 GO/FO, 26 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
C Taylor Teagarden - E-2 (overthrow at 2nd base on stolen base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Taylor Teagarden: 0-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-3 (L-7, 1-3, BB, E-5)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 1-4 (K, 2B, F-7, F-8, R)
3a. Tim Saunders, SS: 0-2 (K, F-7)
3b. Bryant Flete, SS: 1-2 (2B, P-5, R)
4. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 3-4 (P-5, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, 2 RBI, SB)
5a. Jordan Hankins, C-DH: 2-3 (3-U, 2B, 1B, R, RBI)
5b. Roberto Vahlis, PH: 1-1 (1B)
6. Varonex Cuevas, 3B: 2-4 (2B, 1B, K, K, RBI)
7. Jose Paniagua, LF: 0-4 (F-8, K, K, K)
8. Roney Alcala, 1B: 0-3 (4-3, L-6, K)
9. Jhonny Pereda, DH-C: 1-3 (K, 6-3, 1B)
10a. Danny Gutierrez, DH #2: 0-1 (F-7)
10b, Carlos Jimenez, PH: 1-1 (1B, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED THIRD TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11. Tyler Pearson, DH #3: 1-1 (HBP, 1B, 1-3 SH)
SQUAD "B" PITCHERRS:
1. Justin Steele: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (17 strikes)
2. Ben Wells: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 3/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (20 strikes)
3. Greyfer Eregua: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 4/0 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1/2 GO/FO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
5. Brad Markey: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Jordan Hankins: 0-1 CS
2. Jhonny Pereda: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 1 hour 16 min ago (view)
875K if he makes the team with 600K in performance bonuses possible.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 hour 30 min ago (view)
Shelby Miller...? Really?
crunch 8 hours 28 min ago (view)
i like the cubs odds on this one.
Arizona Phil 12 hours 23 min ago (view)
Ian Happ arbitration figures are $4.1M (player) and $3.25M (club) with hearing date TBD.
crunch 1 day 23 hours ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 3 days 1 hour ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 3 days 4 hours ago (view)
crunch 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 3 days 8 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 3 days 12 hours ago (view)
K Dub 3 days 12 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 3 days 15 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 1 week 10 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.