Jarrett Parker leads Angels Past Cubs at Diablo
Jarrett Parker laced a double and an RBI single and drew a walk, Cristian Gomez drilled a two-run double, and Kevin Arias smacked an RBI triple, leading the Angels to a 6-4 victory over the Cubs "A" team, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning at Diablo Stadium in Tempe, AZ.
Orian Nunez (RBI double), Fernando Kelli (RBI single), and Edmond Americaan (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a three-run Cub 8th.
Cubs pitchers issued a combined ten walks in the game, plus one HBP and four WP (SP Jose Albertos threw only 50% strikes in his 1.2 IP of work).
RHP Omar Ventura and LHP Luis Rodriguez made their U. S. game debuts (both pitched in the DSL last season).
The Cubs were greeted by an old friend prior to the start of the game as they walked from the visitors entrance in the RF corner to their 3rd base dugout, passing C-1B Michael Cruz (released by the Cubs in March and recently signed by the Angels) who was standing in front of the home team's bench on the 1st base side. There were lots of hugs and warm greetings between the ex-Cub and his former teammates and coaches, although the warmth cooled just a bit after Cruz was plunked on the upper right arm by a Didier Vargas fastball in the bottom of the 7th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 2-4 (1B, F-8, 1-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI, SB, 2 CS)
2. Edmond Americaan, RF: 1-3 (K, BB, 6-3, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3a. Yonathan Perlaza, 2B: 0-3 (F-9, 4-3, 6-3)
3b. Oswaldo Pina, 2B: 0-1 (K)
4. Josue Huma, SS-3B: 0-3 (P-4, 5-3, BB, K)
5. Luis Diaz, 3B-DH: 0-3 (K, K, F-8, BB)
6. Dalton Hurd, LF: 0-4 (P-4, L-7, K, 5-3)
7. Jake Slaughter, 1B: 1-3 (F-8, K, 2B, R)
8. Carlos Pacheco, DH #1: 2-3 (1B, 1B, L-9, SB)
9a. Danny Zardon, C: 0-2 (K, K)
9b. Orian Nunez, C: 1-1 (2B, R, RBI)
10. Herson Perez, DH-SS: 1-2 (F-9, 1B, BB, R)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Jose Albertos: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 40 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Maikel Aguiar: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 2/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 30 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Omar Ventura: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 0/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Didier Vargas: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 19 pitches (10 strikes)
6. Luis Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 1
C Danny Zardon: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Danny Zardon: 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & a bit breezy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
crunch 5 hours 29 min ago (view)
Charlie 6 hours 23 min ago (view)
Lester pitched 35 innings today.
crunch 9 hours 3 min ago (view)
2019...cubs fan...being thankful heyward and chatwood are around...wtf...
Eric S 9 hours 49 min ago (view)
Like having a 5-1 lead going into the ninth?
Dolorous Jon Lester 10 hours 45 min ago (view)
With our vaunted late inning tandem of Tyler Chatwood and Rowan Wick!
Who would have thought?
Jackstraw 10 hours 46 min ago (view)
Cubs 1-10 with RISP in the series. Left lots of ducks on the pond. Could take some of the pressure off the pen.
Jackstraw 10 hours 47 min ago (view)
You could hit your thumb with a hammer. Or take a big bite of wayyyy too hot pizza. Just sayin.
Eric S 10 hours 51 min ago (view)
I’m a little surprised and confused that Bote wasn’t in the infield in the ninth? Wth - need that one out boot to complete my day
crunch 10 hours 52 min ago (view)
cubs win! about time.
Eric S 11 hours 1 min ago (view)
Cubs have to scratch mightily to get two runs against the mighty second half buccos
crunch 11 hours 32 min ago (view)
K, diving catch by happ for an out, HBP to load the bases, ground out
PIT has loaded the bases 3 times in this game.
crunch 11 hours 41 min ago (view)
...and we're doing more 0 out, men on base stuff...
2 on, 0 outs...up to 103 pitches and lester's day is done.
bullpen time. oh. boy. neat.
crunch 11 hours 54 min ago (view)
bryant has not forgotten how to hit homers.
crunch 11 hours 57 min ago (view)
2 on, 0 out, and also gets out of that.
btw, bryant has forgotten how to play 3rd base the past 2 innings...da hell...
crunch 12 hours 11 min ago (view)
no one scores! hell yeah. phew.
crunch 12 hours 17 min ago (view)
walking the pitcher to load the bases with 0 outs.
this cubbery is thicker than the humidity.