Cubs & Giants Do the Splits at Riverview Park
Gleyber Torres doubled twice, singled, stole two bases, scored three runs, and drove-in another, Jeffrey Baez drilled two RBI singles, walked, stole four bases, and scored a run, Kevin Brown, drove-in two runs with an RBI triple and a sacrifice fly, doubled, stole a base, and scored two runs, and Roney Alcala hammered an RBI single and an RBI double and scored a run, leading the Cubs to a 10-7 victory on Field #6, and Eugene Escalante doubled twice, tripled, drove-in two runs, and scored another, and Matt Pare walloped a two-run home run, helping the Giants win 7-2 on Field #5, as the Cubs and Giants split a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader played this morning at the Under Armour Performance Center at Riverview Park in Mesa, AZ.
Shamil Ubiera collected three hits (a single, a double, and a triple) in a losing cause for the Cubs on Field #5, and Julio Pena went 4-4 and drove-in five runs with a two-run HR, a two-run triple, and an RBI single in the Giant loss on Field #6.
The defensive gem of the day was a run-saving diving catch near the LF foul line by Cubs Squad "B" LF Ricardo Marcano.
Six Cub pitchers made their U. S. game debut today, including LHP Andin Diaz (who got the start on Field #5), RHPs Victor Salazar, Yomar Morel, Carlos Llano, and Francisco Carrillo (each of whom worked in relief on Field #5), and LHP Alberto Diaz (who pitched in relief on Field #6).
Here is the abridged box score from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-3 (K, K, BB, E-5, R, RBI, SB)
2. Kevin Brown, LF: 2-3 (2B, F-8, F-8 SF, 3B, 2 R, 2 RBI, SB)
3. Jeffrey Baez, RF: 2-3 (1B, BB, 6-3, 1B, R, 2 RBI, 4 SB)
4. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-4 (K, F-8, F-8, F-7)
5. Zak Blair, 2B: 1-4 (P-5, 2B, 3-1, L-8, R, RBI)
6. Gleyber Torres, SS: 3-4 (F-9, 2B, 2B, 1B, 3 R, RBI, 2 SB)
7. Eufran Vargas, DH: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, K, R)
8. Roney Alcala, 1B: 2-4 (4-3, 2B, F-8, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
9. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, K, BB)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Frailyn Figueroa: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 3 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 0/3 GO/FO, 47 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Michael Wagner: 1.1 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/2 GO/FO, 23 pitches (15 strikes)
3. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (19 strikes)
4. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 15 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Alberto Diaz: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 0/1 GO/FO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
CF Charcer Burks - E-8 (fielding error on single to CF allowed batter to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Tyler Alamo: 1-2 CS, 1 PB
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 3-U, BB)
2. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-3 (BB, 4-3, L-4, L-3 DP)
3. Shamil Ubiera, CF: 3-4 (1-3, 2B, 1B, 3B, R)
4. Rony Rodriguez, RF: 2-3 (BB, K, 1B, 2B, RBI)
5. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-3 (K, K, K, BB)
6. Adonis Paula, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, 6-3, F-7, 6-U FC)
7. Matt Scioscia, DH: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 6-3, R)
8. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (5-3, BB, 3-1)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-2 (3B, BB, K, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Andin Diaz: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 2 WP, 1 PO, 1 GIDP, 3/1 GO/FO, 35 pitches (22 strikes)
2. David Garner: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Zak Hermans: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
4. Victor Salazar: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1/1 GO/FO, 25 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Yomar Morel: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 12 pitches (9 strikes)
6. Carlos Llano: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 14 pitches (7 strikes)
7. Francisco Carrillo: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 9 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 2B Dalfis Ortiz - E-4 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
2. C Erick Castillo - E-2 (overthrow on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Erick Castillo: 1-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
WEATHER: Overcast & breezy with occasional drizzle & temperatures in the 70's
crunch 6 hours 10 min ago (view)
side note...k.wong is on 1st putting on one of those "baserunning mitts" (hand protection for sliding) that's extending past the length of his hand/fingers by at least 2-3 inches.
they're going to have to start regulating this piece of equipment if this keeps up...
crunch 8 hours 16 min ago (view)
Q with LAA in his debut for them...HBP, a wild pitch, and BB through 7 pitches...then 3 pop-outs to follow.
blah blah spring training...
baseball on TV...neat.
First.Pitch.120 11 hours 32 min ago (view)
We just traded for Maddux!!! ......... nope, the other one.
crunch 1 day 2 min ago (view)
yeah, i'm just saying i did consider piling onto it with a troll-level post about the trade...it's practically asking to be written that way.
jeff passan did it quite well... https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/136577746706...
that said, i had no idea zach bryant existed before today, but his early numbers looked oddly good (which means nothing without context that early in his career).
Charlie 1 day 41 min ago (view)
Oh, I mean the trade. You were quite diligent in posting!
crunch 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
i contemplated writing the post totally trolled out as hell with "zach" coming after a wall of text.
i decided the cubs being cheap was enough pre-season punishment without piling on.
Charlie 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
This is a straight up troll
crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
rsox aquiring ZACH bryant from the cubs.
ptbn from the josh osich deal.
totally useless trade...hopefully not a terrible loss.
Hagsag 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
Chase Strumpf and Andy Weber invited to the ML camp.
Dolorous Jon Lester 2 days 12 hours ago (view)
Ryan Tepera returns. Major League deal
crunch 3 days 10 hours ago (view)
spring training TV is usually fluid...adding and subtracting broadcast games...
first cubs TV (as of now) is March 3 (wednesday) on ESPN at 3pm EST.
radio broadcasts available for almost every game that's not televised. the cubs get going on monday and some other teams will start the day before.
crunch 4 days 7 hours ago (view)
dj snelton's left elbow is screwed up...6 weeks rest then re-evaluate.
looks like he's going to try to avoid having surgery.
Arizona Phil 4 days 23 hours ago (view)
AAA leagues really need to play through the month of September, because with September rosters being limited to 28 instead of 40, players will need to be moved back & forth between MLB and AAA throughout the month of September instead of just through the month of August.
Mike Wellman 6 days 6 hours ago (view)
I get you, SW. Here in Des Moines, Cardinal fans flocked to I-Cub games when Memphis Redbirds were in town. That won't happen in '21 and even if it does in '22 & beyond it won't be as frequent as when they were in the same division. Not that I'll miss seeing Cardinal gear @ our ballpark...
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 days 8 hours ago (view)
Ervin claimed by Braves. So we lose a potential future (and also current) asset in exchange for one year of a very mediocre Jake Marisnick.
This team has no direction at the moment.
Sonicwind75 6 days 8 hours ago (view)
As a midwest kid now living in Texas, new scheduling is a bummer. Only get a chance to drive and see Cubs once every 3 years with interleague. Really looked forward to those games in Round Rock and the one season in San Antonio. I understand it makes more sense in the big picture, just selfishly disappointed.