Hudson Continues to Thrive in the Arizona Sun
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with six strikeouts, Jacob Hannemann drove-in three runs with a squeeze-bunt and a two-run line-drive single, and Chris Dominguez doubled twice and scored two runs, helping the Cubs whitewash the Diamondbacks 6-0 on Quail Field, and Rafael Mejia belted a three-run HR, Aramis Ademan singled, tripled, and scored a run, and six pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 3-2 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Tuesday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Bryan Hudson has thrown eleven innings over the course of his first two Cactus League Extended Spring Training starts, allowing no runs on three hits and one walk, with twelve strikeouts and a 15/3 GO/AO.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder) was a DH in the game on Whirlwind Field, going 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K) while batting once in each of the first five innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1-3 SH, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
2a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2b. Joe Martarano, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Chris Dominguez, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
4. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (1B, L-6, F-7, RBI, CS)
5. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-8, K)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
9. Brandon Cummins, RF-CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, 2 R, SB)
10. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, BB, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GO/AO, 68 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Samir Lara, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
1b. Fernando Kelli, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (1B, 3B, L-4, R)
3. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (L-6 DP, HR, R, 3 RBI)
5. Henderson Perez, DH #3: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, CS)
7. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-2 (P-4, 6-3)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-2 (1-3, L-6)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Brailyn Marquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
6. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1-4 CS
ATTENDANCE: 13 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
JustSayin' 8 hours 1 min ago (view)
Solid % improvement for minor leaguers and nice to see the Cubs among the first organizations to break ranks to the upside. Three comments: 1. Yes, the bonus babies have already BEEN paid but that is the minority of these young men. 2.
crunch 10 hours 41 min ago (view)
more spring news...
i.happ expected to primarily play CF this spring. rizzo expected to primarily hit 2nd going into the season.
Charlie 16 hours 47 min ago (view)
That's fair. And the discussion would be different if Almora were heads and shoulders above Happ defensively, which seems (surprisingly) not to be the case.
bradsbeard 17 hours 20 sec ago (view)
I'm not ready to write him off from the right side just yet. One of the things I believe about Happ is that switch hitters in general just take longer to establish themselves as hitters due to having to develop and maintain two separate swings. Given that he sees fewer lefties, you kind of have to give him a little more leeway to develop there I think.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 46 sec ago (view)
jdrnym: No word yet on 2020 minor league active roster limits, but I doubt they will do anything new since the minor league 7-day IL with no doctor's note required (sometimes called the "phantom IL") allows clubs to easily rotate guys (especially pitchers) back & forth/on & off the active list.
Charlie 17 hours 7 min ago (view)
I didn't realize until today that the new network will be broadcasting almost every spring training game. Just a heads up for anyone else expecting the usual 4-6 broadcasts.
Charlie 17 hours 17 min ago (view)
I think he's going to strike out over 25% of the time, but he's shown that he can be an above average overall hitter even if he's only batting .230-.250.
I'm also not a big fan of the swing, and I'd be very skeptical of him if the ball is deadened. Stats suggest he'd benefit from a true platoon despite being a switch hitter. Sure would be nice if Almora could hold up the other end competently.
Hagsag 17 hours 19 min ago (view)
Kelly C. to the Braves. Damn it.
First.Pitch.120 18 hours 39 min ago (view)
Let us know if you see Dunderwood shagging flyballs in the OF...
First.Pitch.120 18 hours 44 min ago (view)
Re: 6-8, w/ JHey in the 6 hole there are a lot of interesting things that can happen 7-9. You have the 2B slot, Happ (CF), & P slot. Happ is a Switch hitter (though admittedly better LHH), roster looks to be long on 2B options from both sides (quality issues TBD, but promising IMHO), & a slot you with pinch hit for at least x2/gm. Lots of dbl switch possibilities (w/o jacking up the rest of your lineup)
That creates some brutal match up decisions for the opposing mgr right before recycling back to Bryzzo.
Dolorous Jon Lester 19 hours 28 min ago (view)
I think proving the K rate wasn't a fluke would go a long way toward convincing me.
bradsbeard 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Hey, if you hate the swing there's probably nothing I can say to change your mind. I personally think it's one of the nicer looking ones on the team.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Extended period of good hitting? Not striking out at deeply inopportune times? Some baseball IQ in regard to situational hitting?
I think I also just hate his swing. It's so long and loopy.
Wrigley Rat 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
C/1B Alberto Mineo (25) has re-signed with the Cubs organization according to: https://www.mister-baseball.com/alberto-mineo-mino...
bradsbeard 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Happ has been an above average hitter every season he's been in the majors, and he killed it in his brief return from the minors last year (with better contact and lower K rates to boot). Aside from an extended period with the lower K rates, what else are you not seeing?
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
Bote, for the moment, is adequate. Very unsold on the 2 LH hitting 2B options.
I have never seen it for Happ. I'd love for him to prove me wrong but I dont see it happening.