Hudson Continues to Thrive in the Arizona Sun
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with six strikeouts, Jacob Hannemann drove-in three runs with a squeeze-bunt and a two-run line-drive single, and Chris Dominguez doubled twice and scored two runs, helping the Cubs whitewash the Diamondbacks 6-0 on Quail Field, and Rafael Mejia belted a three-run HR, Aramis Ademan singled, tripled, and scored a run, and six pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 3-2 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Tuesday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Bryan Hudson has thrown eleven innings over the course of his first two Cactus League Extended Spring Training starts, allowing no runs on three hits and one walk, with twelve strikeouts and a 15/3 GO/AO.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder) was a DH in the game on Whirlwind Field, going 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K) while batting once in each of the first five innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1-3 SH, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
2a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2b. Joe Martarano, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Chris Dominguez, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
4. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (1B, L-6, F-7, RBI, CS)
5. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-8, K)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
9. Brandon Cummins, RF-CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, 2 R, SB)
10. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, BB, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GO/AO, 68 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Samir Lara, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
1b. Fernando Kelli, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (1B, 3B, L-4, R)
3. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (L-6 DP, HR, R, 3 RBI)
5. Henderson Perez, DH #3: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, CS)
7. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-2 (P-4, 6-3)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-2 (1-3, L-6)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Brailyn Marquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
6. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1-4 CS
ATTENDANCE: 13 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Hagsag 51 min 3 sec ago (view)
Phil, I hope you get to see this group. What a bunch of middle infielders!
Arizona Phil 4 hours 49 min ago (view)
The top four DSL Cubs position player prospects (SS Cristian Hernandez, C Moises Ballesteros, INF Pedro Ramirez, and OF Frank Hernandez) have been added to the Cubs AZIL roster (see updated roster in post above).
Arizona Phil 23 hours 6 min ago (view)
Dillon Maples does not have the right to elect free-agency if he is outrighted to the minors, but he will be automatically declared an MLB Rule 9 6YFA at 5 PM Eastern on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series if he is not added back to the 40 in the meantime.
crunch 23 hours 20 min ago (view)
p.wisdom is the new cubs all-time rookie HR leader.
Arizona Phil 1 day 37 min ago (view)
The Cubs will very likely be splitting the AZIL position players into two 14-man squads (like they did last year), with each squad playng in every other-game, and with the other squad having a Camp Day instructional work-out on a back-field when that squad is not playing in a game. There will also be five combined Camp Days during the course of the four weeks for all players from both squads.
Arizona Phil 1 day 59 min ago (view)
DJL: No. Signing a 2022 minor league successor contract would only matter with regard to a player in the Arizona Fall League, because the AFL schedule goes past the date when minor leaguers are declared free-agents.
AZ Instructs ends on October 16th, which is about two or three weeks before minor league free-agency, so the three guys at Cubs Instructs who are eligible to be free-agehts after the World Series (Dakota Chalmers. Nicholas Padilla, and Eury Ramos) do not need to sign successor contracts in order to play in AZIL games.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Sorry to hear about your dad, Charlie. I lost my father almost 2 years ago now, some of my fondest childhood memories are going to Wrigley with him.
All the best wishes to you, sir.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
If you had Bote in the '11-'12- '13 Cubs draft dead pool, then you are a winner!
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Dakota Chalmers... interesting. He's scheduled to be a MILB FA, correct? Would this be a good sign he has signed a successor deal?
Cubster 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Maples dfa. Double Martini too. Hoerner and Thompson back and Keegan to start today. Hoerner bats 5th.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
it's never a good time to be in the hospital, but things are extra complicated right now.
hope everything goes well for everyone.
Charlie 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
Listening to this in a hospital room because we are blacked out on MLB.tv. I don't know which surprises me more, that the Cubs haven't beaten the Brewers since April or that the Cubs beat the Brewers in April.
crunch 2 days 21 hours ago (view)
m.rodriguez to 10d IL, a.morgan returns.
Jackstraw 3 days 7 hours ago (view)
I like that the team was absolutely committed to not losing back-to-back games on a walk-off passed ball.
Eric S 3 days 17 hours ago (view)
And the funny thing is Rucker was the only Cubs pitcher tonight to post 0 runs allowed in the box score. You know things are really out of hand when Ross gives the okay for a Maples appearance.
George Altman 3 days 18 hours ago (view)
Is there a reason Preciado hasn't been in an ACL game in about a month?