Hudson Continues to Thrive in the Arizona Sun
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with six strikeouts, Jacob Hannemann drove-in three runs with a squeeze-bunt and a two-run line-drive single, and Chris Dominguez doubled twice and scored two runs, helping the Cubs whitewash the Diamondbacks 6-0 on Quail Field, and Rafael Mejia belted a three-run HR, Aramis Ademan singled, tripled, and scored a run, and six pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 3-2 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Tuesday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Bryan Hudson has thrown eleven innings over the course of his first two Cactus League Extended Spring Training starts, allowing no runs on three hits and one walk, with twelve strikeouts and a 15/3 GO/AO.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder) was a DH in the game on Whirlwind Field, going 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K) while batting once in each of the first five innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1-3 SH, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
2a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2b. Joe Martarano, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Chris Dominguez, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
4. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (1B, L-6, F-7, RBI, CS)
5. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-8, K)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
9. Brandon Cummins, RF-CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, 2 R, SB)
10. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, BB, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GO/AO, 68 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Samir Lara, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
1b. Fernando Kelli, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (1B, 3B, L-4, R)
3. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (L-6 DP, HR, R, 3 RBI)
5. Henderson Perez, DH #3: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, CS)
7. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-2 (P-4, 6-3)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-2 (1-3, L-6)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Brailyn Marquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
6. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1-4 CS
ATTENDANCE: 13 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Cubster 26 min 7 sec ago (view)
Bluejays locked up a playoff spot. Looks like it's the Astros that are out. They are unlikely to get a "Buffalo" home game if they are the last seed.
Tribune Cub Notes (Friday AM):
Revenue drop leads to layoffs
By Mark Gonzales
The Cubs on Thursday laid off about 60 members of their business department because of declining revenue amid the COVID-19 pandemic, a source told the Tribune.
crunch 15 hours 31 min ago (view)
the scary part of this team-wide slump, and especially this series, is PIT is basically a AAA level talent team that had 15 wins all season coming into the cubs series.
cubs are limping into the post-season. heyward is pretty much the only consistent hitter. well, technically jose martinez has been consistent, too.
blockhead25 15 hours 49 min ago (view)
Hey, anything could happen. They could win 4 2-1 games in a series.
Or lose 8-0, 6-0 in the first round and be done.
Charlie 16 hours 8 min ago (view)
3 days left to get psyched for the post season?
blockhead25 17 hours 3 min ago (view)
This is an impressive level of offensive offense. This week feels like the final week of 2018 when we also had a lousy 4 game series with the Pirates, just without one of the other teams winning the final 8 games to catch us.
QuietMan 19 hours 38 min ago (view)
So whatever happened to the don't pitch Mills the day after Hendricks plan?
crunch 19 hours 52 min ago (view)
rizzo / contreras(DH) / heyward / schwarber / maybin(CF) / kipnis / baez / caratini / bote
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
I agree with all of this. I think KB is traded for a SP. I guess here is my guess at the pitchers:
Bullpen: Mills/ Alzolay, Underwood, Adam, Tepera, Wick, Kimbrel, Ryan, Wieck (Alzolay if he loses the 5th spot battle with Mills is still starter number 6, and likely being groomed to join the rotation either later in the year or 2022)
Charlie 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Frazier beat him on an inside corner two-seamer (albeit belt high), but the Hayes homer came on an 0-2 meatball. Not very professorial.
crunch 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
hendricks starts the game giving up back to back homers. wtf...
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
happ / rizzo / contreras / schwarber(DH) / maybin(LF) / heyward / baez / kipnis / bote
George Altman 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
Let's hope so. It would be great next year to NOT have to 'piece together a bullpen'.
Arizona Phil 1 day 18 hours ago (view)
DJL: I think that if Lester, Chatwood, Quintana, Jeffress, and Chafin leave via free-agency and do not return or are not replaced by at least one veteran MLB FA SP, the default Cubs 2021 Opening Day pitching staff will be Darvish, Hendricks, Mills (out of options), Alzolay (could be out of options - TBD), and either Rea, T. Miller, Steele, Abbott, Marquez, or D.
Arizona Phil 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
I understand that any team can win a three-game series, but if I'm a division winner I'd want to be the #3 seed rather than the #2 seed in both the A. L. and the N. L., because I would rather face the worst second place team (Houston in the A. L. and probably Miami or Philadelphia in N. L.) than the best wild card team (Cleveland in the A. L. and probably Cincinnati or Milwaukee in the N.L.).
Hagsag 2 days 3 hours ago (view)
Maybe, if he makes the roster!
Charlie 2 days 8 hours ago (view)
Jose Martinez is going to hit some big post season homerun, isn't he?