Hudson Continues to Thrive in the Arizona Sun
LHSP Bryan Hudson hurled five innings of one-hit shutout ball with six strikeouts, Jacob Hannemann drove-in three runs with a squeeze-bunt and a two-run line-drive single, and Chris Dominguez doubled twice and scored two runs, helping the Cubs whitewash the Diamondbacks 6-0 on Quail Field, and Rafael Mejia belted a three-run HR, Aramis Ademan singled, tripled, and scored a run, and six pitchers combined to toss a five-hitter, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 3-2 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Tuesday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Bryan Hudson has thrown eleven innings over the course of his first two Cactus League Extended Spring Training starts, allowing no runs on three hits and one walk, with twelve strikeouts and a 15/3 GO/AO.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL - right shoulder) was a DH in the game on Whirlwind Field, going 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K) while batting once in each of the first five innings.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Jacob Hannemann, DH #1: 1-3 (4-3, 1-3 SH, K, 1B, 3 RBI)
2a. Zach Davis, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B)
2b. Joe Martarano, RF: 0-2 (K, K)
3. Chris Dominguez, DH #2: 2-4 (2B, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
4. Michael Cruz, C: 1-3 (1B, L-6, F-7, RBI, CS)
5. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-3 (K, 1-3, 1B)
6. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-3 (F-9, F-8, 1B, RBI)
7. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (2B, F-8, K)
8. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 1-2 (4-3, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
9. Brandon Cummins, RF-CF: 1-2 (2B, K, BB, 2 R, SB)
10. Jose A. Gonzalez, LF: 0-1 (1-3 SH, BB, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Bryan Hudson: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 6 K, 5/3 GO/AO, 68 pitches (42 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 27 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 23 pitches (14 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Christopher Morel: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Michael Cruz: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Eloy Jimenez, DH #1: 1-5 (1B, P-6, F-8, 6-3, K)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th innings
1a. Samir Lara, DH #2: 0-2 (F-8, F-9)
1b. Fernando Kelli, PH: 1-1 (1B)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 2-3 (1B, 3B, L-4, R)
3. Gustavo Polanco, C: 1-1 (1B, BB, R)
4. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-2 (L-6 DP, HR, R, 3 RBI)
5. Henderson Perez, DH #3: 0-2 (4-3, K)
6. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-2 (K, 1B, CS)
7. Orian Nunez, 3B: 0-2 (P-4, 6-3)
8. Ruben Reyes, RF: 0-2 (F-7, K)
9. Rafael Narea, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, P-3)
10. Tolly Filotei, LF: 0-2 (1-3, L-6)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Manny Parra: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (10 strikes)
2. Brailyn Marquez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 17 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Yunior Perez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 15 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Andury Acevedo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
6. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 11 pitches (6 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Gustavo Polanco: 1-4 CS
ATTENDANCE: 13 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Arizona Phil 9 min 42 sec ago (view)
The Cubs have purchased the contract of RHSP Mike Hauschild (ex-TOR) from Lexington (Atlantic League) and he has been asigned to AAA Iowa.
crunch 1 hour 27 min ago (view)
(c) hendricks gives up at least 60 homers in the regular season
seriously, though...wisdom has "slowed down" the past 10 days or so, but he still managed a couple homers. he's got a damn good shot at 20+ even if bote+duffy come back to steal a little time from him.
Charlie 1 hour 51 min ago (view)
This Mets series is going poorly, so... off-topic question. Which of these outcomes do you currently think is more likely in 2021: (a) Javy hits at least 40 homeruns in the regular season, (b) Patrick Wisdom hits at least 20 homeruns in the regular season.
crunch 20 hours 40 min ago (view)
wow...and he's done for the night. that's not good...well, for mets fans.
"right shoulder soreness"
crunch 20 hours 56 min ago (view)
meanwhile...degrom with 8 Ks through 3 perfect innings. he's also got a RBI single.
crunch 21 hours 35 min ago (view)
and d.smith gets HBP.
this is high end next level strategy. you beat degrom by injuring everyone until they have to forfeit the game. moneyballs.
crunch 21 hours 41 min ago (view)
ow...villar got nailed in the ear and the back of the head by a throw from lobaton on a stolen base.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 40 sec ago (view)
CHARLIE: You are absolutely right.
Granted there are existing rules prohibiting pitchers from using foreign substances, but you don't change enforcement protocols suddenly in the middle of the season. Pitchers should be given an opportunity to make adjustments during the course of Spring Training before any new enforcement policy is implememted.
This can and should be addressed in the upcoming CBA negotiations. Not now.
Charlie 22 hours 58 min ago (view)
That was definitely my position prior to this year. But I am starting to buy into the claim that almost all pitchers are using something, even if it is rosin and sunscreen in many cases.
crunch 23 hours 39 min ago (view)
brews did the cubs a solid by losing before the cubs have to take on degrom.
crunch 1 day 59 min ago (view)
*laughs nervously looking over at craig kimbrel*
Jackstraw 1 day 3 hours ago (view)
Guys who haven't been cheating don't need to change a thing.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
dude can barely move behind the plate these days. i wouldn't trust him to stop a passed ball or a wild pitch even with his advanced skill.
that said, all the cubs in-house options kinda suck.
hey d.ross, grab a glove and get to work.
Charlie 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Tyler Glasnow sprained his UCL and is pretty openly objecting to the MLB pushback on use of "sticky stuff," saying he thinks not using his "substance of choice," rosin and sunscreen, lead to his injury and will lead others to injury. I will be interested to hear a more open discourse on what pitchers use to get a grip on the ball, what will be permitted, and what adjustments pitchers will make.
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Time to sign Wilson Ramos.
Arizona Phil 1 day 6 hours ago (view)
Beginning today (June 16th), post-2020 Article XX-B MLB free-agents who signed a 2021 MLB contract will no longer have an automatic "no trade" right, so Arrieta, Chafin, Marisnick, Pederson, and Romine can now be traded without restriction.