Cubs Rally to Squeeze Past Giant Orange at Riverview

RHP Ivan Medina hurled three innings of shutout ball (in relief), Alexander Guerra singled and scored twice and drove-in a run, and Eric Gonzalez drilled a two-run double to break a 4-4 tie, as the Cubs rallied to upend the Giants orange squad 6-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action on Field #5 on John Arguello Way at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.

Beicker Mendoza (RBI double), Cody Brickhouse (two-run double), and Dylan Manwaring (RBI triple) contributed run-scoring extra-base hits for the Giants to highlight a four-run 4th that chased RHRP Eury Ramos before he could retire a batter in his second inning of work.

The game was called after eight innings of play.

As happened with Brendan King and Enrique de los Rios a couple of weeks ago, Ivan Medina is being stretched-out at EXST in likely anticipation of either being a SP at Eugene or possibly a move-up to South Bend where he would work as a "swing-man" out of the SB-Cubs bullpen. (I. Medina was the last cut from the South Bend roster at the end of Minor League Camp).

Prior to the Cactus League game on Field #5, RHP Ryan Williams (2017 shoulder surgery) and RHP Peyton Remy (Cubs 2017 17th round draft pick - Central Arizona JC) threw "live" BP on Field #4 (one "inning" & 25 pitches a piece).

In EXST Cubs roster news, OF Roberto Caro has been moved-up to South Bend.

Here is the abridged box score (Cubs players only):

CUBS LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-4 (K, F-8, 4-6 FC, K)
2. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 1-4 (K, F-8, 4-3, 1B, SB)
3. Luis Vazquez, SS: 1-3 (5-3, 2B, F-7, BB, R)
4. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 1-3 (BB, K, 2B, K, 2 R)
5. Alexander Guerra, DH #1: 2-4 (1B, E-9, 1B, P-4, 2 R, RBI)
6. Carlos Pacheco, DH #2: 0-3 (F-8, K, BB, 6-3, R)
7a. Gustavo Polanco, C: 0-1 (F-7 SF, L-1, RBI)
7b. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-2 (2B, L-8, 2 RBI)
8. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 0-3 (K, 4-3, P-3)
9. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-2 (F-8, BB, 1B)
10. Delvin Zinn, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, BB, P-3)

CUBS PITCHERS
1. Faustino Carrera: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
2. Eury Ramos: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 2 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (19 strikes)
3. Jeffrey Passantino: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 30 pitches (24 strikes)
4. Ivan Medina: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 51 pitches (33 strikes)

CUBS ERRORS: NONE

CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE
Gustavo Polanco: 0-1 CS

CUBS OUTFIELD ASSISTS
CF Fernando Kelli  - runner thrown out 7-6-2 attempting to score from 1st base on double (relay by SS Luis Vazquez)

ATTENDANCE: 7

WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's

Arizona
Scoring
Service

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

Comments

Ivan Medina. The next name I need to know.

Funky. Cold. Medina.

• Cubster 9 hours 36 min ago (view)

Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...

"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)

• Hagsag 11 hours 44 min ago (view)

Thanks crunch.

• crunch 21 hours 41 min ago (view)

It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated.  coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019.  last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.

we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).

• Hagsag 1 day 3 hours ago (view)

How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.

• azbobbop 1 day 22 hours ago (view)

I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site

• SheffieldCornelia 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

I echo this!

• Cubster 2 days 7 hours ago (view)

btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).

• Hagsag 2 days 11 hours ago (view)

Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.

• Mike Wellman 2 days 23 hours ago (view)

On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!

• First.Pitch.120 3 days 4 hours ago (view)

I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).

• Wrigley Rat 3 days 20 hours ago (view)

This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)

• George Altman 3 days 22 hours ago (view)

I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.

You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens,  thank you.

• Charlie 4 days 2 hours ago (view)

I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!

Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.

• fullykräusened 4 days 4 hours ago (view)

Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!

• Cubster 4 days 8 hours ago (view)

Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.

"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"

• Hagsag 4 days 11 hours ago (view)

Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.