Barnette, Tazawa, Gallardo, Machado, and Espinoza Throw at Riverview
Ricardo Verenzuela tripled, singled, scored two runs, and threw out a runner on the bases, and Carlos Morfa and Ervis Marchan drilled consecutive RBI singles to highlight a four-run 4th inning, leading the Cubs "B" team to a 5-1 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Extended Spring Training intrasquad game action Thursday morning on Field #6 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as a five-inning contest.
RHRP Tony Barnette (on Cubs MLB 10-day IL with right shoulder inflammation) hurled a 1-2-3 ten-pitch 2nd inning (K, P-3, F-8), and RHRP Junichi Tazawa tossed a scoreless 3rd (allowed a single, runner erased by a CS) for the "A" team.
RHP Manuel Espinoza made his pro debut for the Cubs "A" team, allowing a run on one hit (a triple) with one strikeout in one inning of work. The 18-year old Mexican was signed by the Cubs in July 2017, but he did not pitch in 2018 while his signing was under investigation by MLB. (He signed the same day as fellow Mexican RHP Florencio Serrano Jr, whose contract was voided by MLB last June).
Prior to the game on Field #6, three of the four youngest Cubs pitchers at EXST (Manuel Espinoza is the other one) threw "live" BP on Field #5 (two "innings" - 30 pitches each). 17-year old Venezuelan RHP Richard Gallardo (the Cubs #1 IFA signing in the current ISP) got swings & misses with a 91-93 MPH FB and a plus-CV, and he also threw a couple of decent CH; 17-year old Venezuelan LHP Joel Machado was sitting 85-86 with his FB, but he had a solid CV and so-so CH that he was able to mix & match with his FB; and 18-year old 6'3 210 Dominican RHP Willy Cabrera's FB was impressive at 92-94 MPH (T-95) in addition to an 88-90 MPH CH and a sharp-breaking CV, but he had difficulty commanding his stuff (not too surprising considering he walked 50 in just 25.2 IP in the DSL in 2018!).
Here is the box score from the game:
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
X. Jacob Hannemann, CF: 0-3 (4-3, F-7, P-5)
NOTE: Hannemann led-off the top of the 1st, 3rd, and 5th innings
1. Josue Huma, SS: 0-2 (3-1, 1-3)
2. Dalton Hurd, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, 6-3)
3. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-2 (1B, K)
4a. Caleb Knight, C: 1-1 (1B, R, SB)
4b. Orian Nunez, C: 0-0 (BB)
5. Albert Hinirio, RF: 0-2 (3-1, 4-6-3 DP)
6. Jake Slaughter, 3B: 1-1 (1B, RBI, CS)
7. Richard Nunez, 1B: 0-1 (K)
8. Edmond Americaan, DH #2: 0-1 (K)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 0-1 (6-3)
CUBS "B" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 0-2 (F-9, 5-3)
2. Ricardo Verenzuela, CF: 2-2 (3B, 1B, 2 R)
3. Pedro Martinez, SS: 0-0 (F-7 SF, BB, R, RBI)
4. Carlos Morfa, LF: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
5. Ervis Marchan, 1B: 1-2 (K, 1B, R, RBI)
6. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 1-2 (P-3, 1B)
7. Reivaj Garcia, 2B: 0-2 (F-8, 5-4 FC, RBI)
8. Danny Zardon, C: 1-2 (5-3, 1B)
9. Kevin Moreno, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, F-9, CS)
10. Raymond Pena, DH #2: 0-1 (L-8)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Manuel Espinoza: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 9 pitches (6 strikes)
2. Tony Barnette: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Junichi Tazawa: 1.0 IP, 1 H,0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 9 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Luis Silva: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 24 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS "B" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Chi-Feng Lee: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
2. Riger Fernandez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Emilio Ferrebus: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/2 GO/AO, 19 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "B" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Caleb Knight: 1-1 CS
2. Orian Nunez: 1 PB
CUBS "B" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Danny Zardon: 1-1 CS
CUBS "B" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Ricardo Verenzuela threw out runner (Dalton Hurd) 8-5 attempting to advance from 1st to 3rd on single to CF
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 3 hours 9 min ago (view)
And Joe pinch hits for Descalso again today - now 205/277/316 on the year. But no need to put a jumpy-jump in the parking lot during spring training like they did last year for TLS so it balances out.
crunch 3 hours 32 min ago (view)
tommy lastella hit his 12th homer of the year...grand slam.
tim815 4 hours 4 min ago (view)
Not sure why any of the teams would only have enough talent for one XSL game.
crunch 5 hours 17 min ago (view)
aww...cubs were a pest all game, but couldn't overcome.
crunch 5 hours 20 min ago (view)
omfg chatwood...with the bat.
crunch 5 hours 21 min ago (view)
RIP heyward's bat.
shout out to bo jackson...that was a clean break.
it was a swing/miss with no contact so it's doubtful it was a cracked bat.
Eric S 5 hours 48 min ago (view)
Bullpen reclamation project Kyle Ryan’s ERA now 5.06. Bummer
crunch 6 hours 5 min ago (view)
wow baez...also, wow rizzo.
call overturned, but that was a hell of an "almost" play.
crunch 8 hours 55 min ago (view)
he's thrown so little of his other stuff lately that i can't even guess and sure don't know.
he's always been fastball-heavy, but it's almost exclusively fastball now.
he gets movement on a 95-97mph fastball...that's a positive about it if he's gonna continously offer it up.
VirginiaPhil 9 hours 1 min ago (view)
crunch 9 hours 25 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / rizzo / contreras / heyward / almora / descalso / lester / bote
i guess we're in for 2-20 random games of "pitcher hits 8th" before suddenly deciding that's not a thing anymore...again
crunch 15 hours 47 min ago (view)
it had to feel good for him to get that standing O at the home ballpark.
he's still throwing almost nothing but fastballs exclusively, though...wonder what's up with that.
Hagsag 16 hours 39 min ago (view)
Chatwood is becoming a force in the BP.
QuietMan 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)