Eloy Back in the Outfield at Extended Spring Training
Kwangmin Kwon (RBI triple), Christopher Morel (RBI double), and Franklin Tineo (two-run single) stroked run-scoring hits, Tolly Filotei tripled and singled and scored a run, Fernando Kelli singled and doubled and scored a run, catcher Miguel Amaya walked, singled, scored a run, and threw-out two runners on the bases, and LHSP Ryan Kellogg tossed three innings of shutout ball, as the Cubs took an early lead and then held-on to edge the Diamondbacks 5-4 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Thursday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Billy Endris belted a solo HR for the D'backs in a losing cause.
Eloy Jimenez (on Myrtle Beach 7-day DL) saw his first game action in the outfield since suffering a right shoulder injury in an MLB Cactus League Spring Training game on March 14th. He played RF for three innings and then moved to a DH slot, getting three AB and going 0-2 with a sac fly RBI.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
X. Eloy Jimenez, RF-DH: 0-2 (F-8, F-8 SF, 6-3, RBI)
NOTE: Jimenez batted 2nd in the 1st, 3rd, and 5th innings
1. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-4 (F-8, K, 1B, K)
2. Chris Dominguez, 1B: 0-4 (6-3, P-6, 5-3, 6-3)
3a. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-2 (1B, BB, 6-3, R)
3b. Fidel Mejia, 3B: 1-1 (2B)
4. Kwangmin Kwon, LF-RF: 1-4 (K, 3B, P-6, K, R, RBI)
5a. Christopher Morel, 3B-DH: 1-3 (F-9, 2B, E-7, RBI)
5b. Yovanny Cuevas, PH: 0-1 (6-3)
6. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
7. Tolly Filotei, DH-LF: 2-3 (3B, 1-3, 1B, R)
8. Orian Nunez, 2B: 0-3 (5-3, 6-3, 6-4 FC)
9. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-1 (6-4 FC, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10. Fernando Kelli, DH #3: 2-3 (1B, K, 2B, R)
11. Franklin Tineo, DH-C: 1-3 (5-3, K, 1B, 2 RBI)
1. Ryan Kellogg: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 3 K, 1/4 GO/AO, 55 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Javier Assad: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Carlos Ocampo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
4. Jed Carter: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 22 pitches (11 strikes)
5. Luis Aquino: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (24 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Miguel Amaya: 2-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Charlie 10 min 53 sec ago (view)
Dang, I miss Javy and Rizz.
Mike Wellman 37 min 20 sec ago (view)
The Hey, Hoe, Hen alignment...
crunch 1 hour 46 sec ago (view)
zobrist / cast / bryant / schwarb / contreras / caratini / heyward / hoe / hendricks
this lineup seems to be a popular thing.
Dolorous Jon Lester 4 hours 35 min ago (view)
Lots of games where they failed to add on.
Lots of games Strop has single handedly blown, too.
Charlie 5 hours 6 min ago (view)
There are so many candidates. The early season losing streak comes painfully to mind.
Charlie 5 hours 6 min ago (view)
JHey's swing looks like it slipped into groundout mode. That Nico lineout was heartbreaking. :(
Charlie 5 hours 7 min ago (view)
Threw Vanmeter a curve and changeup that both looked great on TV, though Vanmeter didn't offer.
Mike Wellman 6 hours 51 min ago (view)
First thing I'll point to, depending on the final order of finish, is the fact that, for the second year in a row we took the lead off of Hader in the 8th inning of a key late-season game @ Milwaukee & couldn't keep it. The second thing will be the game we led 5-0 after 7 & managed to lose. Nats next face Marlins. Cards come to town licking their chops/beaks to finish us off...
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 58 min ago (view)
They’re toast. Can’t finish games, can’t finish series, and it looks very much like they won’t finish this season.
Hagsag 11 hours 14 min ago (view)
The Cubbies are in a tough situation. If they make the playoffs, they will have earned it!. Enjoy the ride folks.
Eric S 17 hours 41 min ago (view)
Reds win season series 11-8 - possibly the first thing you point to should the Cubs miss the post season
Eric S 17 hours 48 min ago (view)
Long looking swing for JHey ... and Nico - oof
Eric S 17 hours 49 min ago (view)
Heard Len say Descalso’s name and about had a heart attack. Then heard him say “pinch runner” and settled down a bit
Charlie 17 hours 53 min ago (view)
Contreras's receiving didn't do Norwood any favors in that Vanmeter at-bat. And Norwood needed some favors.
Eric S 17 hours 58 min ago (view)
Gotta do better than three hits in nine innings in a start by Mahle - this one is on the bats
crunch 18 hours 3 min ago (view)
4th pitcher of the inning coming in...neat