Cubs & Diamondbacks Split a Pair at Talking Stick
Jorge Perez rifled a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 3rd, Connor Owings drilled a two-run single in the 4th, and Luke Lowery ripped a two-run double in the 5th, leading the Diamondbacks to an 8-5 victory over the Cubs on Quail Field, and Chris Dominguez slugged a two-run HR in the 4th to give the Cubs a 3-2 lead and Andruw Monasterio followed an inning later with an RBI single, as the Cubs rallied to edge the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Saturday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Kevin Zamudio and Christopher Morel each clubbed a two-run HR in the top of the 4th on Quail Field as the Cubs rallied to take a 4-3 lead in the "A" game, and then after the D'backs plated two runs in bottom of the 4th on the Owings two-run single to go ahead 5-4, Yovanny Cuevas belted a game-tying solo HR for the Cubs in the top of the 5th. The Diamondbacks then took advantage of three Cubs errors in the bottom of the 5th to score three unearned runs off unlucky reliever David Garner that provided the Snakes with their margin of victory.
Francis Martinez hammered a solo HR in the bottom of the 1st to put the Diamondbacks on the board in the "B" game on Whirlwind Field, but the Dominguez two-run HR and the Monasterio RBI single turned the game in the Cubs favor in the 4th & 5th, and RHRP Elvis Diaz sealed the deal for the Cubs with an easy eight-pitch save.
In EXST roster news, CF Jacob Hannemann (March 2017 right knee injury) has completed his EXST rehab assignment and has rejoined the AA Tennessee Smokies. Hannemann hit a robust 333/455/722 in six Cactus League EXST games (22 PA), collecting three doubles, four walks, two SB, three RBI, two runs scored, and two sacrifice bunts. He struck out only twice in the 22 PA.
Also, 21-year old LHP Jose MacDonna (2015 IFA - Dominican Republic) made his U. S. debut in the game on Whirlwind Field. The lanky lefty allowed a run on two hits and a walk in one inning of work.
The Cubs are 7-4 through their first eleven Cactus League EXST games.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Zach Davis, CF: 0-3 (L-8, F-8, K)
2. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, 6-3)
3. Michael Cruz, 1B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-8, R)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 2-3 (F-8, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Joe Martarano, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-6, R)
6. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Carlos Diaz, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-8)
8. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 3-U)
9. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-2 (F-8, HR, BB, R, RBI)
10. Richard Nunez, DH #2: 0-3 (5-3, L-6, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Peyton: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/0 GO/AO, 44 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Holden Cammack: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
4. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 1/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS:
1. SS Edgar Rondon: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. LF Joe Maratarano: E-7 (fell flat on his face & dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. C Carlos Diaz: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Diaz: 1-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" BASERUNNING OUTS:
Joe Martarano - thrown out 7-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on single to LF
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Chris Dominguez, 1B: 2-5 (6-3, 1B, HR, K, 6-3, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Dominguez batted 3rd in the 1st & 2nd innings, 2nd in the 4th & 7th, and led-off the 6th
1. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 3-2 FC, 1B, RBI, PO)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-3 (L-8, 1B, F-8, R)
3. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-3 (K, F-8, 5-3)
4. Miguel Amaya, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, F-7, F-8)
5. Gustavo Polanco, C: 0-3 (F-9 DP, 4-3, F-8)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (E-4, K, F-7, R)
7. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-1 (BB, 4-3)
8. Rafael Narea, 3B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, R)
9. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-2 (5-4 FC, 1B, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 34 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Jose MacDonna: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3 Yapson Gomez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 0/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 8 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNING OUTS:
Miguel Amaya - thrown out 9-2 attempting to score from 3rd base on F-9 FO
ATTENDANCE: 34 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 10 hours 45 min ago (view)
deleted that link. it was a republished-to-feed article, not a new one, so it's not very useful.
cubbies.4ever 11 hours 34 min ago (view)
Is Cubs 3rd draft pick Jordan Nwogu not going to sign? Most teams are done signing. Since the Cubs have the other 4 signed there's not a question of negotiations. I thought Little (using his viral video of 105 mph as leverage) or Moreno being a promising HS SP would be the tough ones.
Jackstraw 11 hours 39 min ago (view)
Apparently being run by the same guy who put Quintana in charge of washing dishes.
Cubster 12 hours 4 min ago (view)
Joey Gallo tests Positive.
Cubster 12 hours 28 min ago (view)
4-29-20: White House senior adviser Jared Kushner told "FOX & Friends" Wednesday morning that he expects to see life go "back to normal" in the U.S. by June and "the hope is that by July the country’s really rocking again."
Well, that prediction has held up especially well in FL, TX, AZ and CA
George Altman 13 hours 1 min ago (view)
I'm beginning to think maybe this guy doesn't have a good grasp on being President.
crunch 14 hours 30 min ago (view)
"Angels summer camp workouts are optional on Monday due to COVID-19 testing delays.
The testers simply failed to show up to Angels camp on Sunday, and there were also apparently some shipping issues with samples during the July 4 holiday weekend. The Astros, Nationals, and Cardinals have outright canceled their Monday workouts because of delays within MLB's testing protocol."
neat. this is going just great.
but hey, i'm sure a month from now we'll be done with all this crazy virus stuff going on...as players consider multi-game road trips through FL/TX/AZ/CA.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 7 min ago (view)
With players dropping like flies and others opting-out, methinks the MLB season could resemble the last three innings of a Cactus League Spring Training game.
Cubster 16 hours 8 min ago (view)
Cubs first Wrigley game is vs Brewers per Sun-Times. Full Schedules to come out in an hour.
Cubster 16 hours 30 min ago (view)
Dodger stadium Covid testing site was closed without notice today. Long lines, pissed off people. ClusterF*cked Americans as the virus spreads. Here is the WSCR link that says KB is pissed about the lax testing by MLB.
Cubster 21 hours 38 min ago (view)
Dodger's Stadium is a testing site. Except, you can't just get a test. You have to be symptomatic. Cough, cough...this is really not going well.
Cubster 21 hours 41 min ago (view)
Worrisome. Astros and Nats cancel workouts because of Covid testing delays.
Trumpy: "Anyone who wants a test, can get a test." 3-6-20. Four months ago.
crunch 1 day 15 hours ago (view)
"Yu Darvish threw his new pitch, a two-seam/splitter hybrid, during his first intrasquad game appearance on Saturday.
Darvish, who already had 10 different pitch variations in his arsenal, is calling this new pitch "The Supreme.""
crunch 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
"I've been thinking about it and been thinking about it before we put out that statement," (Terry) Francona said. "I know in the past, when I've been asked about, whether it's our name or the Chief Wahoo, I think I would usually answer and say I know that we're never trying to be disrespectful. And I still feel that way, but I don't think that's a good enough answer today. I think it's time to move forward. It's a very difficult subject. It's also delicate," he said.
Cubster 1 day 20 hours ago (view)
Two White Sox test positive for Covid. Not yet disclosed who they are. Reminder that the Cubs are going to be scheduled to play the WSox for 6 games.