Cubs & Diamondbacks Split a Pair at Talking Stick
Jorge Perez rifled a two-run triple to highlight a three-run 3rd, Connor Owings drilled a two-run single in the 4th, and Luke Lowery ripped a two-run double in the 5th, leading the Diamondbacks to an 8-5 victory over the Cubs on Quail Field, and Chris Dominguez slugged a two-run HR in the 4th to give the Cubs a 3-2 lead and Andruw Monasterio followed an inning later with an RBI single, as the Cubs rallied to edge the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training doubleheader action Saturday morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Both games were pre-planned as seven-inning affairs.
Kevin Zamudio and Christopher Morel each clubbed a two-run HR in the top of the 4th on Quail Field as the Cubs rallied to take a 4-3 lead in the "A" game, and then after the D'backs plated two runs in bottom of the 4th on the Owings two-run single to go ahead 5-4, Yovanny Cuevas belted a game-tying solo HR for the Cubs in the top of the 5th. The Diamondbacks then took advantage of three Cubs errors in the bottom of the 5th to score three unearned runs off unlucky reliever David Garner that provided the Snakes with their margin of victory.
Francis Martinez hammered a solo HR in the bottom of the 1st to put the Diamondbacks on the board in the "B" game on Whirlwind Field, but the Dominguez two-run HR and the Monasterio RBI single turned the game in the Cubs favor in the 4th & 5th, and RHRP Elvis Diaz sealed the deal for the Cubs with an easy eight-pitch save.
In EXST roster news, CF Jacob Hannemann (March 2017 right knee injury) has completed his EXST rehab assignment and has rejoined the AA Tennessee Smokies. Hannemann hit a robust 333/455/722 in six Cactus League EXST games (22 PA), collecting three doubles, four walks, two SB, three RBI, two runs scored, and two sacrifice bunts. He struck out only twice in the 22 PA.
Also, 21-year old LHP Jose MacDonna (2015 IFA - Dominican Republic) made his U. S. debut in the game on Whirlwind Field. The lanky lefty allowed a run on two hits and a walk in one inning of work.
The Cubs are 7-4 through their first eleven Cactus League EXST games.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Zach Davis, CF: 0-3 (L-8, F-8, K)
2. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-3 (6-3, K, 6-3)
3. Michael Cruz, 1B: 2-3 (1B, 1B, F-8, R)
4. Kevin Zamudio, DH #1: 2-3 (F-8, HR, 1B, R, 2 RBI)
5. Joe Martarano, LF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, P-6, R)
6. Christopher Morel, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, HR, K, R, 2 RBI)
7. Carlos Diaz, C: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, F-8)
8. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 3-U)
9. Yovanny Cuevas, RF: 1-2 (F-8, HR, BB, R, RBI)
10. Richard Nunez, DH #2: 0-3 (5-3, L-6, F-7)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Tyler Peyton: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 31 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Hector Garcia: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R (5 ER), 4 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 1/0 GO/AO, 44 pitches (22 strikes)
3. Holden Cammack: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
4. David Garner: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 PO, 1/1 GO/AO, 40 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS:
1. SS Edgar Rondon: E-6 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. LF Joe Maratarano: E-7 (fell flat on his face & dropped pop fly allowing batter to reach base safely)
3. C Carlos Diaz: E-2 (errant pick-off attempt at 3rd base allowed runner to score)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Carlos Diaz: 1-1 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS SQUAD "A" BASERUNNING OUTS:
Joe Martarano - thrown out 7-2 attempting to score from 2nd base on single to LF
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
X. Chris Dominguez, 1B: 2-5 (6-3, 1B, HR, K, 6-3, R, 2 RBI)
NOTE: Dominguez batted 3rd in the 1st & 2nd innings, 2nd in the 4th & 7th, and led-off the 6th
1. Andruw Monasterio, 2B: 1-2 (BB, 3-2 FC, 1B, RBI, PO)
2. Aramis Ademan, SS: 1-3 (L-8, 1B, F-8, R)
3. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-3 (K, F-8, 5-3)
4. Miguel Amaya, DH #2: 0-2 (BB, F-7, F-8)
5. Gustavo Polanco, C: 0-3 (F-9 DP, 4-3, F-8)
6. Kwangmin Kwon, RF: 0-3 (E-4, K, F-7, R)
7. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-1 (BB, 4-3)
8. Rafael Narea, 3B: 0-0 (BB, HBP, R)
9. Fernando Kelli, CF: 1-2 (5-4 FC, 1B, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Camargo: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 GIDP, 3/0 GO/AO, 34 pitches (15 strikes)
2. Jose MacDonna: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3 Yapson Gomez: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 PO, 0/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Elvis Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 8 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" BASERUNING OUTS:
Miguel Amaya - thrown out 9-2 attempting to score from 3rd base on F-9 FO
ATTENDANCE: 34 (both fields combined)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
Wrigley Rat 14 hours 48 min ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 16 hours 40 min ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 20 hours 57 min ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 22 hours 15 min ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
Thank you forTCR, and it is the first site I check daily. Please keep it going.
Karl Pagel Blues 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Thank you for this site. It's the first one I turn to every single day. There may be other sites with more daily content, but there's only one TCR. Again, a big thank you to everyone actively contributing here!
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
no matter the future, i've learned a whole lot being here and i'm still learning. phil's post earlier with the end-season instructs stats is a great example of this. lots of love for the team, the farm system, and the game here.
also, it looks like dusty's crew is 3 outs away from going to the WS with 5 runs to cushion.
George Altman 1 day 14 hours ago (view)
Please keep it going if at all possible. No other Cubs website compares. I've spent 15 years with AZ Phil, Crunch, Cubster. Don't want to see that end.
Alexander Dimm 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
Like the others, I don't post often, and it's not the only Cubs baseball site I read. However, it is the first site I read each day and if I only read one, this is it. I hope you can hang in there.
Cubs baseball will be a little less fun without TCR.
Childersb3 1 day 16 hours ago (view)
I've been reading, commenting and asking questions here for over a decade now. Cubdom wouldn't be whole without TCR.
Hope it stays in any form possible.
Whatever is most manageable, cheapest, time efficient manner you.
bradsbeard 1 day 17 hours ago (view)
Absolutely want to see if stay if possible.
Sonicwind75 1 day 19 hours ago (view)
Thank you for hosting and maintaining the site. I don't post often but have been visiting since mid 2000s. Really appreciate the information and community of The Cub Reporter. I understand it can be a lot of work to maintain a site but would really hate to see it end.
Hagsag 2 days 5 hours ago (view)
Thank you Phil, I can see this is a work of love.
Wrigley Rat 2 days 20 hours ago (view)
Cubs Reportedly Sign Powerful Infielder Alejandro Rivero Out of Indy Ball: https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2021/10/21/cubs-reportedly-sign-powe...
crunch 3 days 16 hours ago (view)
* except for playing 1st base