Underwood Sharp in Final Rehab Tune-Up at Sloan Park
Five pitchers combined to toss a one-hit shutout and Didimo Bracho belted a two-run home run and an RBI single to account for all of his team's runs, helping the Diamondbacks blank the Cubs 3-0 at Sloan Park, and D. J. Wilson (two-run triple), Luis Ayala (RBI double), Gustavo Polanco (RBI double), and Jesse Hodges (RBI single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a five-run Cub 3rd, as the Cubs and D'backs played to a 7-7 tie on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
Michael Foster broke up the D'backs no-hit bid in Sloan Park with a one-out single in the bottom of the 9th.
RHSP Duane Underwood (right ebow stiffness) made his final rehab start in the game at Sloan Park and threw 5.1 IP (78 pitches) of one-run ball, retiring 13 of the first 16 men he faced before running into trouble in the top of the 6th when he allowed three singles and a HBP and surrendered his only run. But he was outstanding through the first five innings, allowing no runs on two hits and a walk with four strikeouts.
RHRP Dallas Beeler (on Cubs 15-day DL - right shoulder inflammation) made a rehab start in the game played on Field #1 and was hit hard, allowing four runs (three earned) on five hits (two singles, a double, a triple, and a home run) and a walk (plus a throwing error) in 3.1 IP (50 pitches).
RHRP Aaron Crow (ex-KC - April 2015 TJS rehab) threw in the game on Field #1, but was unable to complete his inning, allowing a single, a double, and a triple and two runs while retiring only one batter. I couldn't tell if he was lifted because of pitch count or performance issues, but his stuff was subpar today and obviously didn't fool any of the young D'backs hitters.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
SLOAN PARK (CUBS SPRING TRAINING STADIUM)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Ruben Reyes, LF: 0-4 (F-8, P-4, F-9, 4-3)
2. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (K, F-9, F-8)
3. Wladimir Galindo, 3B-DH: 0-3 (K, 4-3, P-4)
4a. Kelly Dugan, 1B: 0-2 (F-8, K)
4b. Alberto Mineo, 1B: 0-1 (K)
5. Vimael Machin, SS: 0-2 (F-8, F-7, BB)
6. Rafael Mejia, DH-3B: 0-3 (K, F-7, K)
7. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-3 (F-7, 3-U, 6-4 FC)
8a. Jhonny Pereda, C: 0-1 (K, BB)
8b. Miguel Amaya, C: 0-1 (F-8)
9. Michael Foster, RF-DH: 1-3 (5-3, 6-4 FC, 1B)
10a. Roberto Caro, DH #2: 0-2 (1-3, E-6, SB)
10b. Jonathan Sierra, RF: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Duane Underwood Jr: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 4 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 3/7 GO/AO, 78 pitches (51 strikes)
2. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/2 GO/AO, 20 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
4. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 2/0 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
2B Edgar Rondon: E-4 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS:
Jhonny Pereda; 2-3 CS
RIVERVIEW BASEBALL COMPLEX FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. D. J. Wilson, LF: 1-4 (1-3, 3B, 3-1, F-8, R, 2 RBI)
2a. Luis Ayala, CF: 1-2 (K, 2B, BB, 2 R, RBI, SB)
2b. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 0-0 (2-3 SH)
3. Jose Paniagua, DH #1: 1-4 (6-3, 6-3, 1B, F-7, R, RBI, SB)
4a. Gustavo Polanco, 1B: 1-3 (5-3, 2B, F-9, R, RBI)
4b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 1-1 (1B)
5a. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 2-2 (BB, 1B, 1B, 2 RBI)
5b. Andruw Monasterio, 3B: 0-1 (6-3 DP)
6a. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 0-3 (K, 3-1, F-7)
6b. Alex Bautista, RF: 0-1 (F-7)
7a. Yohan Matos, DH #2: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
7b. Abraham Rodriguez, PH-DH: 1-1 (2B, BB, CS)
8a. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-3 (F-9, 5-3, K)
8b. Eric Gonzalez, C: 1-1 (1B)
9a. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-1 (HBP, L-6, R)
9b. Yonathan Perlaza, SS: 1-2 (2B, 4-6 FC, SB)
10. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 1-4 (1B, 5-3, E-6, K, R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Dallas Beeler: 3.1 IP, 5 H, 4 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 4/3 GO/AO, 50 pitches (33 strikes)
2. Daniel Lewis: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 7 pitches (4 strikes)
NOTE: Lewis relieved Beeler with an 0-2 count on batter
3. Aaron Crow: 0.1 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
4. Kyle Miller: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (20 strikes)
5. Jared Cheek: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
6. Jesus Castillo: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 16 pitches (12 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 3
1. SS Rafael Narea: E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. P Dallas Beeler: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
3. 1B Gustavo Polanco: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Pearson: 1-2 CS
2. Eric Gonzalez: 0-1 CS
19 (SLOAN PARK)
11 (RIVERVIEW BASEBALL COMPLEX FIELD #1)
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Eric S 40 min 26 sec ago (view)
And Joe pinch hits for Descalso again today - now 205/277/316 on the year. But no need to put a jumpy-jump in the parking lot during spring training like they did last year for TLS so it balances out.
crunch 1 hour 3 min ago (view)
tommy lastella hit his 12th homer of the year...grand slam.
tim815 1 hour 35 min ago (view)
Not sure why any of the teams would only have enough talent for one XSL game.
crunch 2 hours 48 min ago (view)
aww...cubs were a pest all game, but couldn't overcome.
crunch 2 hours 51 min ago (view)
omfg chatwood...with the bat.
crunch 2 hours 53 min ago (view)
RIP heyward's bat.
shout out to bo jackson...that was a clean break.
it was a swing/miss with no contact so it's doubtful it was a cracked bat.
Eric S 3 hours 19 min ago (view)
Bullpen reclamation project Kyle Ryan’s ERA now 5.06. Bummer
crunch 3 hours 36 min ago (view)
wow baez...also, wow rizzo.
call overturned, but that was a hell of an "almost" play.
crunch 6 hours 26 min ago (view)
he's thrown so little of his other stuff lately that i can't even guess and sure don't know.
he's always been fastball-heavy, but it's almost exclusively fastball now.
he gets movement on a 95-97mph fastball...that's a positive about it if he's gonna continously offer it up.
VirginiaPhil 6 hours 32 min ago (view)
crunch 6 hours 56 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / rizzo / contreras / heyward / almora / descalso / lester / bote
i guess we're in for 2-20 random games of "pitcher hits 8th" before suddenly deciding that's not a thing anymore...again
crunch 13 hours 18 min ago (view)
it had to feel good for him to get that standing O at the home ballpark.
he's still throwing almost nothing but fastballs exclusively, though...wonder what's up with that.
Hagsag 14 hours 10 min ago (view)
Chatwood is becoming a force in the BP.
QuietMan 22 hours 49 min ago (view)
crunch 23 hours 8 min ago (view)
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
crunch 23 hours 54 min ago (view)