Old Fashioned Pitchers Duel at Salt River Fields
LHSP Jose Paulino hurled three innings of shutout ball for the Cubs, and RHSP Christian Talley tossed four innings of shutout ball for the Rockies, as the two teams battled to a 1-1 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Jose Paulino combined Cactus League Extended Spring Training line (three outings):
9.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 2 BB, 8 K, 15/3 GO/AO
The 21-year old Paulino features a heavy 91-93 MPH sinker that touches 94-95 (hence the extreme GO rate), a hard-breaking slider, and a so-so change-up, but has struggled to command his electric stuff throughout his career. He was the last cut from the South Bend squad at the end of Minor League Camp, so he could find himself in the Midwest League sooner rather than later. If you're looking for an "under-the-radar" Cubs pitching prospect, Paulino might be one. At the very least, he could eventually be a very effective lefty reliever at the higher levels.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Kyle Miller (Cubs 2015 19th round draft pick - Florida Atlantic U.) and 3B Jesse Hodges (2012 NDFA - Canadian Junior National Team) have been moved-up to South Bend, and RHRP Scott Frazier has been sent to Extended Spring Training from South Bend.
In two Cactus League EXST outings (one GS), Miler has allowed one hit, one run (unearned), and no walks with five strikeouts in 5.1 IP, and (like Paulino, Hudson, Cease, and Null) has been one of the more-impressive SP down here. He'll probably be used as a "piggy-back" reliever at SB.
The 22-year old Hodges was the everyday 3B at South Bend last year (hitting 238/316/363 in 90 MWL games), but was a late-cut from the Myrtle Beach squad at the end of Minor League Camp and was left behind at Extended Spring Training. He was hitting 333/500/333 in four Cactus League EXST games, and he has made several eye-popping defensive stops at the "hot corner." He also drilled an RBI double off Dylan Cease and a HR off Eugenio Palma in an intrasquad game last week.
Here is the abridged box score from today's game (Cubs players only):
1a. Shane Victorino, LF 0-3 (L-8, P-1, K)
1b. Ruben Reyes, PH-LF: 0-1 (K)
2a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-3 (L-3, P-6, F-7)
2b. Kevin Zamudio, 1B: 0-1 (K)
3a. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-3 (P-5, K, 1B)
3b. Luis Ayala, CF: NO AB
4. Rafael Mejia, 3B-DH: 2-3 (1B, 1B, K, R, SB)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 0-3 (6-3, 4-3, F-8)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF: 1-3 (1B, K, K)
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-2 (L-3 DP, BB, 5-3, SB)
8a. Jhonny Bethencourt, DH #1: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Tyler Pearson, C: 0-1 (4-3)
9. Miguel Amaya, C-DH: 0-3 (K, K, 5-3)
10a. Jonathan Sierra, DH #2: 0-2 (F-9, 6-3)
10b. Rafael Narea, 3B: 1-1 (1B, CS)
1. Jose Paulino: 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 5/1 GO/AO, 51 pitches (32 strikes)
2. Pedro Silverio: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 28 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 8 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Tommy Nance: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 13 pitches (8 strikes)
5. M. T.Minacci: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
6. Tyler Peitzmeier: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 24 pitches (13 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
1B Kevin Zamudio: E-3 (errant throw during run-down play allowed runner to advance to 2nd base)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Miguel Amaya: 1-1 CS
2. Tyler Pearson: 1 PB
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 70's