Soler Back in Action at Salt River Fields
Oliver Zapata ripped a two-run triple and an RBI single, Adonis Paula singled, doubled, and scored two runs, Rashad Crawford reached base on a double, a walk, and an HBP, and scored three runs, and Trevor Clifton and Hector Perez threw three shutout innings a piece, leading the Cubs to an 8-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Jackrabbit Field, and Ryan Kinsella belted an RBI double and an RBI triple, helping the D'backs rally from a five-run deficit to edge the Cubs 7-6 on Whirlwind Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Gleyber Torres collected three hits, stole a base, and scored two runs in a losing cause for Squad "A" on Whirlwind Field.
Jorge Soler saw his first game action in almost a month, serving as a DH for Squad "A." He had five Plate Appearances and went 1-4, driving-in two runs with an RBI single and a sacrifice fly, He also reached base on an error, grounded out 5-3, and struck out swinging.
Joel Pineiro got the start for Squad "A" and pitched five innings (60 pitches), surrendering four runs (two earned) on six hits (four singles, a double, and a triple), while allowing no walks and striking out seven.
THE PITCHING LINES FROM JOEL PINEIRO'S FOUR EXST OUTINGS:
4/12 - 4.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 1 WP, 8/0 GO/FO, 64 pitches (48 strikes)
4/17 - 4.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 PO, 7/2 GO/FO, 66 pitches (43 strikes)
4/22 - 4.2 IP, 9 H, 7 R (7 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 76 pitches (51 strikes)
4/28 - 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/FO, 60 pitches (45 strikes)
TOTAL: 17.2 IP, 22 H, 15 R (13 ER), 4 BB, 16 K, 3 WP, 22/9 GO/FO, 74% strikes, 6.62 ERA, 1.53 WHIP
Today was Diamondbacks "Field Trip Day" at Salt River Fields for Maricopa County school children, hence the slightly larger-than normal attendance at the games. I guess it's never too early to get kids interested in Extended Spring Training.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Gleyber Torres, SS: 3-5 (1B, 1B, 6-3, 1B, 6-3, 2 R, SB, CS)
2a. Kevin Brown: LF: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, K, BB, R)
2b. Zak Blair, PH-DH: 1-1 (1B)
3. Jorge Soler, DH #1: 1-4 (F-8 SF, 1B, 5-3, E-1, K, R, 2 RBI)
4a. Tyler Alamo, C: 0-1 (K, BB, R)
4b. Jeffrey Baez, PH-RF: 0-3 (K, L-6, P-4)
5. Varonex Cuevas: 2B: 0-3 (K, BB, 4-3, F-8, R, RBI)
6. Arnaldo Calero, RF-DH-LF: 0-3 (K, BB, K, F-9, RBI)
7. Roney Alcala, 1B: 1-4 (1B, K, 4-3, K)
8. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 1-3 (K, 1B, 3-1, HBP, 2 RBI)
9. Charcer Burks, CF: 0-4 (K, K, L-8, F-8)
10a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST THREE TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
10b. Justin Marra, C: 0-1 (K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Joel Pineiro: 5.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 7 K, 1 WP, 4/4 GO/FO, 60 pitches (45 strikes)
2. Trey Lang: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 4/0 GO/FO, 37 pitches (16 strikes)
3. Alberto Diaz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/FO, 16 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (two-base throwing error allowed batter to reach second base safely - eventually scored unearned run)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Justin Marra: 0-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 1-3 (HBP, BB, K+WP, K, 2B, 3 R, SB)
2. Oliver Zapata, LF: 2-4 (F-9, 3B, K, BB, 1B, 3 RBI)
3. Shamil Ubiera, DH: 0-4 (F-9 SF, 6-3, 3-U, 5-4 FC, 4-3, RBI, SB)
4. Eloy Jimenez, RF: 0-5 (K, 5-3, F-9, E-6, K)
5. Adonis Paula, 3B: 2-5 (1B, 2B, F-8,. K, F-8, 2 R)
6. Elliot Soto, SS: 0-3 (BB, 6-3, P-5, BB, F-9, R)
7. Matt Scioscia, 1B: 1-3 (BB, 6-3, 1B, K)
8. Mark Malave, C: 1-4 (6-4 FC, K, 4-6 FC, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Dalfis Ortiz, 2B: 1-4 (F-8, 1B, 6-4 FC, 6-3 DP, R)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Trevor Clifton: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 2/3 GO/FO, 43 pitches (28 strikes)
2. Hector Perez: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 41 pitches (26 strikes)
3. Victor Salazar: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 31 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Carlos Llano: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 28 pitches (19 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
WEATHER: Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
Eric S 4 hours 49 min ago (view)
Definitely was time for Monty and/or Chatwood to move on.
crunch 4 hours 53 min ago (view)
pretty much washes out the $$, but i was kinda sick of montgomery. it's not much of a gamble for KC given that monty has club control years left.
all D with a little pop...better option than t.davis, at least.
hopefully this move isn't because contreras might be DL bound.
Eric S 4 hours 54 min ago (view)
Per the internet, Cubs have traded for KC catcher Martin Maldonado. 🤷♂️
Update: trade in exchange for Mike Montgomery
Well that will clear up a spot in the bullpen at a minimum and perhaps kicks Descalso to the curb in the process to clear room on the bench for Maldonado
Well shit. Willson to the 10 day IL with a strained arch to the right foot (shakes angry fist at Rosario for his wildness at the root of this). Guess Descalso will get to relax, strike out and eat sunflower seeds on the bench for a while longer.
Eric S 5 hours 28 min ago (view)
Just a putrid game in a lot of respects. Cubs futility against the Reds is highly annoying.
crunch 5 hours 32 min ago (view)
cubs lose, cards move into 2nd in the central.
Eric S 5 hours 32 min ago (view)
Happ starting to make some noise in Iowa with a three hit night, with two homers (now 15 for the season), raising his average to .240 - I don’t think it’s been that high for several months. I believe he’s had a number of multi-hit games the last couple of weeks to help bump up the average.
Eric S 6 hours 1 min ago (view)
Reds reliever Michael Lorenzen reminding Theo that he’s significantly better than both of Theo‘s big offseason acquisitions of Brach and Descalso in both pitching and hitting. Perhaps Brach is the better base runner?
crunch 6 hours 1 min ago (view)
heyward - 1
bat - 0
crunch 6 hours 9 min ago (view)
bad D has directly resulted in at least 3 of tonight's reds runs.
Eric S 6 hours 10 min ago (view)
Brach has inherited 15 runs - some how, some way, 50 of them have scored
Eric S 6 hours 19 min ago (view)
I bet Hendricks wasn’t envisioning seeing both Rosario and Brach pitching in the 8th after leaving with a 3-2 lead after six.
Eric S 6 hours 32 min ago (view)
Been a month since Rizzo hit a dinger. Tonight would be a good time to get off the schnide.
Eric S 6 hours 42 min ago (view)
First half Cubs showed up for the top of the seventh - yuck
crunch 6 hours 43 min ago (view)
also, dude, cishek.
crunch 7 hours 10 min ago (view)
can't think of a much better way to spend some loot, myself. sounds awesome.
michael2z 7 hours 39 min ago (view)
I try to go to a three-game series every year. I have been taking my son for years and began taking two of my grandsons the last four years and plan on bringing all three to a series next year. I was born and raised in the Chicago area and I still have family there (my cousins own the Twin Anchors restaurant in Old Town).
Yes, the cost is much, but the time with family is truly priceless. Trying to enjoy the time I’ve got left, hoping that the boys have a great time and memories to share for generations