Cubs Wallop Four Homers & Sweep Angels in Mesa
Isaac Paredes hammered a solo home run, Kevonte Mitchell blasted a two-run HR, and Robert Garcia (two-run single), Yeiler Peguero (RBI double), and Marcus Mastrobuoni (RBI double) contributed run-scoring hits, leading the Cubs to a 7-2 victory over the Angels at Sloan Park, and Jose Paniagua slugged a two-run HR, Tyler Pearson smacked a solo HR, and Jesus Castillo and three relievers combined to hurl a three-hit shutout, helping the Cubs blank the Angels 3-0 on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning in Mesa, AZ.
Jabari Henry belted a solo HR in a losing cause for the Angels at Sloan Park.
The game at the Riverview Baseball Complex was pre-planned as a seven-inning affair, and the game at Sloan Park was called after seven innings of play.
In EXST Cubs roster news, RHSP Duane Underwood and 1B-OF Kelly Dugan have been moved-up to AA Tennessee.
Underwood was left behind at Extended Spring Training while rehabbing from what was described as a "elbow stiffness" that kept him from throwing in Spring Training games.
Duane Underwood's combined Cactus League EXST line (two GS):
10.1 IP, 10 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 8/11 GO/AO, 140 pitches (67% strikes)
Dugan hit 385/640/538 in seven Cactus League Extended Spring Training games (25 PA), and set a Cactus League EXST record when he drew five walks in five Plate Appearances in a game versus the Giants in Scottsdale last Monday. Dugan drew ten walks in just 25 PA.
Kelly Dugan is the son of actor (Hill Street Blues) and film director (Happy Gilmore) Dennis Dugan. I had the pleasure of meeting Dennis at a Minor League Spring Training game last month, and he's a real nice guy, and a big-time baseball fan.
John Arguello (Cubs Den) has game notes and a slide-show from the game at Sloan Park
And here are the abridged box scores from both games (Cubs players only):
SLOAN PARK (CUBS SPRING TRAINING STADIUM)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Robert Garcia, CF: 1-3 (1-3, 1B, HBP, K, R, 2 RBI, SB)
2. Yeiler Peguero, 2B: 1-2 (L-4, BB, 2B, R, RBI)
3. Kevonte Mitchell, RF: 1-2 (6-3, HBP, HR, R, 2 RBI)
4. Rafael Mejia, 3B: 1-3 (F-8, K, 1B)
5. Isaac Paredes, SS: 1-3 (HR, 5-3 DP, 5-4-3 DP, R, RBI)
6. Alberto Mineo, 1B-C: 1-3 (K, 1B, F-9, R)
7. Jonathan Sierra, LF: 1-3 (1B, 6-3, 4-3)
8. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C-1B: 1-3 (F-9, 2B, E-6, RBI)
9. Edgar Rondon, DH #1: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, K, R)
10. Jose Gonzalez, DH #2: 1-3 (2B, K, K, R)
11. Jhonny Pereda, DH #3: 0-2 (3-1, K)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Araujo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (20 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 2/0 GO/AO, 14 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Yapson Gomez: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/AO, 26 pitches (17 strikes)
4. Jared Cheek: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 1 HR, 1 PO, 1/1 GO/AO, 25 pitches (18 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
2B Yeiler Peguero: E-4 (throwing error while attempting to complete 5-4-3 DP allowed runner to score from 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 0-1 CS
RIVERVIEW BASEBALL COMPLEX FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Shane Victorino, LF: 0-3 (3-1, F-8, E-4, CS)
2. D. J. Wilson, CF: 0-2 (HBP, 3-1, K, R)
3. Jose Paniagua, DH #1: 1-3 (HR, F-8, 6-3, R, 2 RBI)
4. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 0-2 (K, K)
5. Yohan Matos, RF: 0-2 (F-7, 4-3)
6. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-2 (4-3, 4-3)
7. Rafael Narea, SS: 0-1 (BB, P-3)
8. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 1-2 (K, 1B)
9. Jhonny Bethencourt, 2B: 0-2 (F-9, K)
10. Tyler Pearson, DH-C: 1-2 (P-5, HR, R, RBI)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Jesus Castillo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (14 strikes)
2. Eugenio Palma: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 15 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Andry Rondon: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GO/AO, 33 pitches (25 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3/1 GO/AO, 30 pitches (21 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
10 at SLOAN PARK
9 at RIVERVIEW BASEBALL COMPLEX FIELD #1
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 70's
crunch 9 hours 3 min ago (view)
both him and his sister (who's since left twitter) have some interesting opinions on what civility and real americans are and are not.
it may run in the family, but they're grown ass adults responsible for what things they put out in the world for public consumption.
Hagsag 9 hours 11 min ago (view)
Piece of gabage.
crunch 12 hours 58 min ago (view)
arrieta threw a pen today (saturday)
crunch 13 hours 35 min ago (view)
beth and jd in the booth today. beth had a great debut earlier in the year with very positive fan feedback for her work + homework.
crunch 13 hours 43 min ago (view)
decided to check in on corey black to see if anyone has signed that waste of space. dont think anyone has yet.
he might want to remove the photo of the proud boys leader he has on his twitter as aggressively as he's removed some of his weird hot takes from the past. actually, he should keep it there. it will give him a reason to feel like a victim and that seems to be very important to him.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
no hitter! 4 in MLB on the season...2 have been vs CLE
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
...and CIN takes the lead because CLE is stupid...giving up a run on a throwing error followed by balking another runner in.
miley gonna get his shot for a no-hitter win.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
w.miley (CIN) has a no-hitter through 8ip...0-0 game...106 pitches (season high)
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
after this past off-season that is the most logical gut reaction.
there's a lot of people out there rooting for kimbrel and bryant to have a good season as a backup plan (or main plan) for the 2021 season.
Sonicwind75 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Is it bad that my gut reaction was that I'm glad they didn't panic and risk injuring a valuable trade chip? Just keep him rested and healthy.
champsummers 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
crunch 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Jordan Horrobin @JordanHorrobin
#Cubs David Ross says Craig Kimbrel was "just down" today and that not having Kimbrel in the ninth was not injury related.
He also said he expects Kimbrel to be available tomorrow.
champsummers 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
it certainly was....
wonder why Kimbrel didnt't come in?
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
that was -way- too much drama.
cubs move to .500, though. woo.
Sonicwind75 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
This top of the 9th is going from better, to bad, to worse.
First.Pitch.120 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Least painful to lose if they don't want to keep a 40-man spot tied up?