Rockies Score Late to Trip Cubs
Shael Mendoza and Nic Motley drilled run-scoring singles and SP Anderson Amirista tossed three innings of one-run ball, leading the Rockies to a 3-1 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning on Dust Storm Field at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
Richard Gallardo, Willy Cabrera, and Joel Machado combined to hurl six innings of two-hit shutout ball for the Cubs before the Rockies finally scored in the 7th.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, CF: 0-4 (F-8, K, 6-3, F-8)
2. Ezequiel Pagan, RF: 1-4 (K, 1B, 4-3, K)
3. Luis Diaz, 2B: 0-4 (K, 4-6 FC, P-2, P-4)
4a. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (K, BB, BB, SB)
4b. Danny Zardon, C: 0-1 (6-3)
5. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 2-2 (1B, 1-3 SH, 1B, SB, CS)
6. Josue Huma, SS: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-9)
7. Orian Nunez, 1B: 1-2 (6-3, BB, 2B)
8. Carlos Pacheco, LF: 1-2 (1B, 6-4-3 DP, BB, R)
9. Edmond Americaan, DH #1: 1-3 (1B, 2-3, 2-5 FC)
10. Albert Hinirio, DH #2: 1-3 (6-3 DP, L-7, 1B)
11. Herson Perez, DH #3: 0-1 (L-5)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Richard Gallardo: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 25 pitches (14 strikes)
2. Willy Cabrera: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 3/2 GO/AO, 21 pitches (10 strikes)
3. Joel Machado: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 0/3 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Luis Rodriguez: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 22 pitches (13 strikes)
5. Raidel Orta: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 1 BALK, 0/1 GO/AO, 29 pitches (17 strikes)
6. Omar Ventura: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 3/0 GO/AO, 19 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: NONE
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Alexander Guerra: 2-2 CS
2. Danny Zardon: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 1 hour 3 min ago (view)
Another lefty Padre starter and JHey gets a breather. Robel in LF (batting 5th) Almora CF (leadoff) and Bryant in RF
Charlie 2 hours 34 min ago (view)
Mike Leake? Check that guy's locker for a genie lamp.
bradsbeard 2 hours 49 min ago (view)
AZ Phil, your writeup here suggests a player on the restricted list in Zobrist’s situation cannot be reinstated between August 1 and October 31. Does Zobrist actually have to be reinstated this month to play at all the rest of the season?
crunch 11 hours 47 min ago (view)
base hit to lead off top 9th...aww.
killer performance and there should be enough in the tank to easily get the CG (only 79 pitches).
crunch 12 hours 14 min ago (view)
m.leake (SEA) perfect through 7ip, 67 pitches
crunch 12 hours 47 min ago (view)
STL down by 7...so they score 10 in the 6th...and barely manage to win a 12-11 game.
Craig A. 16 hours 3 min ago (view)
Of course, the Cubs knew he was delicate when they signed him, but Maddon pushed him anyway. How much value is there to an elite player who can’t be used very much?
Eric S 17 hours 47 min ago (view)
Bote’s numbers trending down unfortunately - not far from Russell‘s
bradsbeard 18 hours 17 min ago (view)
Bryant’s always been pretty good in LF. It’s RF where he looks most awkward to me. Something about staying on the left side of the field maybe. I think you’ll see Bryant and Schwarber platooned in LF going forward, though that might depend on Bote’s ability to start hitting LHP again.
Eric S 18 hours 46 min ago (view)
Cubs win and this Kimbrel pickup paying dividends
crunch 18 hours 51 min ago (view)
he's a low level jerk, but i find it hard to hate the guy when he doesn't try ducking an interview to explain wtf his problem is.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 55 min ago (view)
Too many of our relief arms have excelled at blowing late leads. Strop and Edwards have been the primary ones.
Dolorous Jon Lester 18 hours 56 min ago (view)
He’s sipping drinks on a beach?
Could he be Mai Tai Guy???
crunch 19 hours 4 min ago (view)
SD defense is the player of the game.
Eric S 19 hours 11 min ago (view)
Should the Cubs go on to win this game ... wow. Some crazy-stupid self inflicted damage that they’ve somehow skirted.
Eric S 19 hours 18 min ago (view)
Strop has become very adroit at blowing leads giving up the long ball (same thing last Friday coming off the all star break?)