Cubs @ Mariners: Lester vs. Gonzales (Game 28)

CHC (15-12): LHP Jon Lester (1-1, 2.37 ERA)
SEA (18-14): LHP Marco Gonzales (5-0, 2.80 ERA)
First pitch 5:40pmCDT

After taking the back-and-forth game one, the Cubs go for a sweep of the short series today. Jon Lester will make his second start coming off of the IL. He showed no signs of rust on 4/25 when he went five innings allowing only one earned run. The veterans Encarnacion and Bruce have faced him in 73 total ABs. Bruce should get the day off, having gone 3-26 against the lefty. Encarnacion is 10-47 but has 3 HRs.

Marco Gonzales takes the ball for the Mariners. He bounced back and forth between the majors and minors with the redbirds before breaking out with the Mariners last year, when he added a cutter to his mix. He doesn't overpower hitters, but that cutter has been a difference maker and seems to have set hitters up for the changeup as well. He's also very stingy with walks. Only Javier Baez (0-3) has faced him. Kris Bryant is 4-20 over his last 4 games, but he's also been hitting the ball hard (2 2B and 2 HR) and has only struck out 3 times.

After going 1 for their first 7 games, the Cubs went 14-6 to finish out April. During that stretch they scored 5.15 runs per game and allowed 3.15 runs per game. I would say they looked more like the team we expected them to be, but I honestly didn't expect the pitching to be this good.

Comments

almora/bryant(DH)/rizzo/baez/contreras/schwarber/bote/heyward/zobrist (vs lefty pitcher)

zag's had a total of 10 PA in the past 2.5 weeks.

this game is neat-o.

the top of the 2nd is rad.

I work in Illinois with a Mariners fan.  This has not been much fun for him.

7ip 1h 1bb 8k, 0r/er...97 pitches

that's some quality lester...

3 hit night for heyward.  he's playing like he wants to go to another all-star game in his career.

maples Ks the side without putting a man on...cubs 4 games over .500

off day tomorrow, STL series starts early friday afternoon.

That Contreras homerun was ridiculous. Off the bat, I thought it was a line shot into the corner, but it ended up decapitating someone in the upper deck.

It is sure fun to watch Maple when he is on.

He certainly can buckle a lot of knees, but I’m surprised anyone ever swings.

• crunch 6 hours 55 min ago (view)

so...big fan of the cast trade so far.

yup.

• Arizona Phil 7 hours 25 min ago (view)

Robel Garcia 14 games (53 PA) since being sent back to Iowa on 8/1: 209/358/349, one HR, two doubles, two RBI, one SB, 10 BB (19% BB rate), 17 K (32% K rate), so Dixon Machado (an MLB-quality SS) could replace Garcia on the 40 sooner rather than later.

• crunch 7 hours 27 min ago (view)

heyward / cast / bryant / rizzo / baez / schwarb / lucroy / kemp(2nd) / ham

• First.Pitch.120 16 hours 52 min ago (view)

I did 3/4 of a PhD in Ames, IA... no need to apologize. That's time that can jade anybody. The best parts of my years there were 1) Cubs on local AM radio (pre cell network streaming) so I could listen to them on a run, and 2) being able to go see the I-cubs whenever I wanted. Was at a game there on July 4, 2007 & I saw a guy sitting 1 section over, a couple rows up and I thought "that looks like Barack Obama". Turns out it was the whole Obama family... Gotta love IA in a pre-caucus year.

• Mike Wellman 19 hours 57 min ago (view)

Magic # = 7 after Colin Rea labors to 13th win vs. baby Brewers (at expense of Jimmy Nelson) & Memphis loses. No sign of Zobrist. Almora runs hitting streak to 2 games. Jim Adduci = a pro’s pro; guy’s a ball player by trade...

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

paul dejong (STL) took out the M in  the "BIG MAC LAND" sign @STL with a big HR...lights went out on the letter and everything.  epic-ish.

• crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

i know bote will be back in a couple weeks, but dude has been hitting damn well since mid-july after having a big june/july slump.

• Eric S 1 day 4 hours ago (view)

David Bote sent down to Iowa today prior to Cishek’s activation off the IL tomorrow — nice of the Cubs do their part to help the I-Cubs down the stretch

• Cubster 1 day 5 hours ago (view)

And the Brewers are being no hit by Hudson thru 6.

• crunch 1 day 6 hours ago (view)

never really considered how that might be cool for people used to seeing those midwest fields as an everyday occurance.  in the south-east US you rarely see the vastly massive acerage of farm-against-farm-against-farm-etc...

also, i spent a good amount of time out in corn fields in ames, iowa in my last job.  everyone wanted to go work the research fields in hawaii, but we always ended up in iowa.

• Sonicwind75 1 day 8 hours ago (view)

Hey, I'm pretty excited about the Field of Dreams game.  I grew up on a farm in middle of nowhere Iowa and my brother and I spent a lot of time trying to hit baseballs into a corn field.  I'm seriously considering coming back next summer from Texas to go to that game if prices aren't super stupid expensive.  Added bonus, I won't have to listen to A-Rod and Mendoza ignorantly discussing corn and no, you don't eat field corn like you would sweet corn.

• Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 20 hours ago (view)

That is truly staggering. Shame on the rest of the Central that we are only one loss behind the pissboys, we should have been buried by now with that kind of stat.

• crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

...and strop gives up a hit then walks the bases loaded.

...and he closes it out with a K.  neat.

this is the 1st cubs road series win since May 17-19 @WAS.

• crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

strop comes in to get the last out, but it has to be some kinda slow-walk back in a game that wasn't a save situation.

homer, hbp, k, k...looks healthy.

• crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)

welcome back kimbrel.

1st pitch goes about 10 miles outside the park by marte.

• crunch 2 days 5 hours ago (view)

one takeaway from this game...a slew of cubs players were fans of Hey Arnold! when they were kids.