Lucky Number Seven for Cubs and Giants
Chris Carrier (three-run shot) and Abraham Rodriguez (solo blast) hammered back-to-back HR to key a four-run 1st inning and Josue Huma, Orian Nunez, and Herson Perez drilled RBI singles to highlight a three-run 8th for the Cubs, and Raiber Gutierrez ripped a double and an RBI single, stole a base, and scored a run, Will Albertson smacked an RBI double and an RBI single and scored a run, and Dalton Combs laced a double and an RBI single and scored a run for the Giants black squad, as the two teams played to a 7-7 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Wednesday morning on Field #1 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
The game was called after 8-1/2 innings of play.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Nelson Velazquez, RF-DH: 1-3 (1B, BB, F-8, K, R, SB)
2. Luis Ayala, CF-DH: 2-2 (1B, BB, 1B, R, CS)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
3. Chris Carrier, LF-DH: 1-3 (HR, K, F-9, BB, 2 R, 3 RBI)
4. Abraham Rodriguez, 1B-LF: 1-3 (HR, K, F-7, R, RBI)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
5. Gustavo Polanco, DH-C: 1-2 (5-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
6. Josue Huma, SS: 3-4 (2B, 3-U, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
7. Richard Nunez, C-1B: 0-4 (K, F-7, 4-1, P-3)
8. Orian Nunez, 3B: 1-3 (BB, F-8, F-7, 1B, RBI)
9. Herson Perez, 2B: 1-4 (6-4-3 DP, K, F-7, 1B, RBI)
10. Ruben Reyes, DH-RF: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, BB, 4-6 FC)
11. Tolly Filotei, DH-CF: 0-3 (K, K, 1-3)
1. Jeremiah Estrada: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 2/1 GO/AO, 42 pitches (27 strikes)
2. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 32 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Sean Barry: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 2 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 18 pitches (9 strikes)
4. Fauris Guerrero: 2.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/3 GO/AO, 18 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Jake Steffens: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 2/3 GO/AO, 20 pitches (17 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 3
1. P Jeremiah Estrada: E-1 (errant pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. P Sean Barry: E-1 (errant throw on attempted 1-6 FC allowed runner to reach 2nd base safely)
3. SS Josue Huma: E-6 (errant return throw to 1st base after 3-6 FC allowed runner to score from 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Richard Nunez: 0-1 CS
2. Gustavo Polanco: 0-1 CS
WEATHER: Mostly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
erich081 3 hours 58 min ago (view)
Brach in during a one run game where the ball seems to be flying out of the park? I too like to live dangerously.
Eric S 4 hours 14 min ago (view)
Robel’s 454 foot splashdown - 6th longest homer by a Cub this season
Arizona Phil 5 hours 39 min ago (view)
RHP Aneuris Rosario (2014 IFA - Dominican Republic) has been reinstated from the Disqualified List. Now 24, Rosario spent four seasons in the DSL (2014-17) and was the one-time closer for DSL Cubs #1. He hasn't pitched since 2017.
Charlie 6 hours 11 sec ago (view)
Last hurrah as a starter before the Cubs trade for an outfielder who gets on base?
crunch 6 hours 59 min ago (view)
i wonder why almora's started almost every game the past week+, especially since he's sucked at it...and he even got to hit leadoff for a game or 2.
Charlie 7 hours 27 min ago (view)
Oof. Almora and Maldonado as starters is going to be rough on the offense. Better hope for at least a Garcia triple.
crunch 8 hours 12 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / bryant / rizzo / garcia(2nd) / heyward / almora / maldo / a.mills
ham gets a AAA rehab start tomorrow. also, i could do with less almora.
QuietMan 14 hours 29 min ago (view)
Edwards optioned to Iowa per Jesse Rogers,
George Altman 14 hours 43 min ago (view)
Yeah.....yeah. I think I'm good too. Put him and Strop in the Shawn Greene deal.
Mike Wellman 16 hours 52 min ago (view)
I feel like I've already waited & seen enough of CEJ...
Dolorous Jon Lester 17 hours 13 min ago (view)
Not as much as it makes his stomach tighten!
i dont think we should trade him. We would get nothing of value back. But I don’t think he should be a bullpen piece on a playoff contender either. He should be in Iowa. Reassess where he’s at for September and next year. If they don’t like what they see, non-tender.
Charlie 17 hours 45 min ago (view)
Cheap may not be the right word, but has put up reasonable value per dollar compared to other relievers prior to this ear.
He accrued 2.9 bWAR 2017-2018. Strop put up 3.2 bWAR during the same period. Edwards is making $1.5M this year. Strop is making $6.25M. He'll get a bump again this offseason even if he doesn't rebound in the second half, of course. I just don't see a need to trade him unless the Cubs are being offered value in return.
That said, it does make my stomach knot up a bit when I see they are bringing him into a close game.
Arizona Phil 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
Carl Edwards Jr will be out of minor league options next season (2020), and he will (once again) be arbitration-eligible post-2019 (he was "Super Two" arb eligible post-2018) and he will be a FA post-2022.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
cubs lose, cards win, brews win.
Dolorous Jon Lester 1 day 8 hours ago (view)
I think this is his last option year. And he’s not as cheap as you’d think, he’s a super two qualified player this year.
Charlie 1 day 9 hours ago (view)
Edwards is frustrating at times. Some of that frustration comes from thinking he could be much better than he currently is. But prior to this year (in which he has pitched very few innings), he's overall been an OK relief pitcher in the majors. I'm happy to wait and see on him for quite a while. Still has an option and is cheap, right?