Giants Double Pleasure with Walk-Off Win at Indian School Park
John Polonius blasted a two-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the 4th to break a 4-4 tie and propel the Giants to a 6-4 victory on Field #1, and Jonathan Jones belted a two-run walk-off double off the LF fence on a 3-0 pitch with two outs in the bottom of the 5th as the Giants edged the Cubs 4-3 on Field #2 (thus sweeping the doubleheader), in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning at Indian School Park in Scottsdale, AZ.
Kevin Encarnacion doubled, tripled, and scored a run and Jacob Rogers hammered a solo home run on Field #1, and Reggie Golden slugged a tape-measure two-run HR on Field #2, to provide most of the Cubs offensive highlights.
Originally planned as one ten-inning game, the two teams instead opted to play two games on adjoining fields. Not too surprisingly, both games ended up being five-inning affairs.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #1
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 2-3 (3B, P-2, 2B, R)
2. Danny Lockhart, 2B: 0-3 (K, 6-3, F-7)
3. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-3 (4-3, L-4, 3-1, RBI)
4. Justin Marra, C: 0-2 (BB, 3-U, K, R)
5. Rony Rodriguez, DH: 1-2 (2B, 6-3, R, RBI)
6. Jose Dore, 1B: 1-2 (1B, 3-1, RBI)
7. Jacob Rogers, RF: 1-1 (HR, BB, R, RBI)
8. Dong-Yub Kim, LF: 0-2 (6-3, 5-4 FC, SB)
9. Francisco Sanchez, SS: 1-2 (1B, K)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Jeff Lorick: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 10 pitches (7 strikes), 2/0 GO/FO
2. Ethan Elias: 2.0 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 GIDP, 37 pitches (23 strikes), 3/1 GO/FO
3. Dayan Diaz: 1.2 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
NOTE: The game was stopped in the bottom of the 5th inning when Diaz reached his pre-planned max pitch limit for the day
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
INDIAN SCHOOL PARK FIELD #2
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Rashad Crawford, CF: 0-3 (K, 4-3, 1-3)
2. Carlos Penalver, SS: 1-3 (1B, L-4, F-8, 2 SB)
3. David Bote, 3B: 0-2 (K, BB, F-9, R, SB)
4. Yasiel Balaguert, RF: 0-1 (BB, F-8)
5. Reggie Golden, LF: 1-2 (K, HR, R, 2 RBI)
6. Lance Rymel, DH: 0-2 (5-3, F-8)
7. Mark Malave, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
8. Alberto Mineo, C: 1-2 (2B, F-8, RBI)
9. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-2 (P-5, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Daury Torrez: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 16 pitches (13 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
2. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 29 pitches (21 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
3. Corbin Hoffner: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 8 pitches (7 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
4. Loiger Padron: 0.2 IP: 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 20 pitches (8 strikes), 1/1 GO/FO
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Alberto Mineo: 0-1 CS
WEATHER Sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 80's
NOTE: It wasn't a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game, but the Cubs did play a six-inning intrasquad game at Fitch Park yesterday (Thursday) morning.
Dillon Maples and Kyler Burke were the starting pitchers, and both worked four innings. Maples threw 78 pitches (48 strikes) and allowed three runs on four hits and a walk with six strikeouts and a 5/0 GO/FO, and Burke threw 50 pitches (33 strikes) and surrendered two runs on two hits with two strikeouts and no walks, and a 6/4 GO/FO.
Ryan McNeil was scheduled to pitch in the game (which would have been his first game action in more than two weeks), but he was a late scratch.
Frandy de la Rosa (single, double, and three RBI) and Carlos Escobar (solo HR and a single) were the offensive stars of the game.
Roberto Caro suffered an ankle injury while sliding home safely in the 5th. He had to be helped off the field and then was transported via golf cart to the clubhouse for medical evaluation.
Here is the box score from the intrasquad game:
SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Danny Lockhart, SS: 0-3 (4-3, 4-3, 4-3)
2. Justin Marra, DH: 0-3 (F-8, K, K)
3. Jacob Rogers, 1B: 0-2 (K, E-3, BB, R)
4. Jesse Hodges, 3B: 0-2 (L-7, 5-4-3 DP, BB)
5. Bryant Flete, 2B: 0-3 (4-3, 1-3, E-4)
6. Kevin Encarnacion, CF: 0-3 (P-5, 5-3, K)
7. Xavier Batista, RF: 1-2 (1B, 5-3, R)
8. Wilfredo Petit, C: 1-1 (2B, BB, RBI)
9. Shawon Dunston Jr, LF: 0-2 (F-8, P-4)
SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Carlos Escober, DH #1: 2-3 (K, 1B, HR, R, RBI, CS)
2. Roberto Caro, CF-DH: 1-3 (K, K, 1B, R)
3a. SLOT WAS SKIPPED FIRST TWO TIMES THRU BATTING ORDER
3b. Garrett Schlecht, RF: 0-0 (BB, R)
4. Frandy de la Rosa, SS: 2-3 (K, 1B, 2B, 3 RBI)
5. Erick Castillo, C: 0-2 (3-U, BB, 4-3, R)
6. Rashad Crawford, RF-CF: 0-3 (K, E-3, K+WP)
7. Mark Malave, 3B: 1-3 (5-3, 4-6-3 DP, 1B, RBI)
8a. David Bote, 2B: 1-2 (6-3, 1B, RBI, SB)
8b. Carlos Penalver, 2B: 0-1 (5-3)
9. Brad Zapenas, 1B: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
10a. Trevor Gretzky, LF: 1-1 (1B, R)
10b. Reggie Golden, LF: 0-1 (P-4)
SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Dillon Maples: 4.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 6 K, 1 GIDP, 78 pitches (48 strikes), 5/0 GO/FO
2. Angel Mejias: 1.0 IP, 4 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 1 BALK, 33 pitches (18 strikes), 2/1 GO/FO
SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Kyler Burke: 4.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 GIDP, 50 pitches (33 strikes), 6/4 GO/FO
2. Carlos Rodriguez: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 29 pitches (17 strikes), 3/0 GO/FO
3. Orbandy Rodriguez: 0.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 1 K, 23 pitches (10 strikes)
SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 1
3B Jesse Hodges - E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Brad Zapenas - E-3 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 2B Carlos Penalver - E-4 (missed catch on attempted inning-ending 6-4 FC allowed runner on 3rd base to score unearned run)
SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Wilfredo Petit: 1-2 CS
Jackstraw 5 hours 47 min ago (view)
Don't let short-term market fluctuations diminsh your enthusiasm for a great long-term investment.
crunch 7 hours 58 min ago (view)
freddy freeman + aaron nola are also positive star players.
the scary thing is freeman tested negative on tuesday. by thursday he was sick and tested positive shortly afterwards. some may question the strength of the MLB test if they were the ones who gave freeman's initial negative...
Cubster 8 hours 51 min ago (view)
COVID positive: LeMahieu NYY; Sano MIN; S Perez KC.
crunch 10 hours 43 min ago (view)
phillies now have 7 down with covid...freddy freeman (ATL) has symptomatic covid with fever/chills/aches for the past 3 days...some players on multiple teams are still awaiting initial test results so they can join spring training 2.0 with their teams...
also, this photo of pablo sandoval (SF) taking grounders at 3rd... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcHFTylVcAAE5SI?format...
Cubster 11 hours 10 min ago (view)
Wittenmeyer tweet: Hendricks and Darvish combine for 4 Ks in a pair of scoreless half-innings.
Press box wag: "Cubs hitting sucks this year"
crunch 12 hours 53 min ago (view)
2020 schedule to be announced monday (tentative).
crunch 12 hours 55 min ago (view)
d.price (LAD) to sit out the season.
LAD isn't going to get d.price at all in 2020 and they got m.betts for 60-ish games until he's a FA. ow. that duo cost them jeter downs, alex verdugo, and connor wong.
Dolorous Jon Lester 20 hours 17 min ago (view)
I acquired Trout over the winter in a keeper league. Not feeling too great about that either.
Hagsag 23 hours 10 min ago (view)
Andrew Cashner still hasn't signed with anyone. Could be useful.
crunch 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
the cleveland indians have released a statement that they are open for dialogue about the future of the team's name.
twitter is all over it and seems to be all about going back to "cleveland spiders", an unrelated dead MLB team lineage in cleveland from the 1800s (some guy named cy young played for them).
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Q coming back in 4-6 weeks will be like a mid-season trade! sigh...
but yeah, they should be good in-house with expanded rosters unless they get slammed by IL stuff.
crunch 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
MLB has confirmed 38 positives (players/coaches/personel/etc) so far.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
With 17 pitchers likely on the 30-man MLB Active List roster for the first two weeks and then probably 15 pitchers on the 28-man Active List for the next two weeks after that, the Cubs should be able to "bullpen" games quite a bit for the first month. They won't really need five starters.
crunch 1 day 12 hours ago (view)
the cubs were searching car seats for coins to sign the scraps they managed to get this offseason. i imagine doing everything "in house" might be on the table.
the ricketts will need all the money they can spare to dump into GOP elections, too. priorities. btw, yes the family has been dumping 100s of thousand (to the tune of millions combined) over the past few months into state elections in areas they don't live in. wisconsin, nevada, new york, georgia, etc...millions...many millions of dollars all over the country.
Arizona Phil 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: Once the MLB regular season starts, the "Practice Squad" will be a sub-group of the Club Player Pool, as will be the MLB Active List roster and the various MLB injured lists.
jdrnym 1 day 13 hours ago (view)
All makes sense, but I think there is one important point of clarification in there -- are you using "practice squad" and "Club Player Pool" interchangeably? If so, I understood the first sentence of your third-to-last paragraph above to mean that Mills/Sadler/Underwood could be outrighted and still be in the Pool, therefore retaining their eligibility to re-selected to the major league active roster later in the season.