Cubs Use Their Bats & Their Heads to Sweep D'backs
Adonis Paula ripped a two-run double and Tyler Alamo belted a two-out RBI double to highlight a three-run 1st, Oscar de la Cruz tossed three innings of shutout ball, and Tim Saunders drove-in the winning run by getting hit on the top of the helmet with a two-strike pitch with the bases loaded, the score tied, and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Field #5, and Eloy Jimenez thumped a solo home run and an RBI triple, Yohan Matos belted a three-run inside-the-park HR, and Bryant Flete singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the D'backs 8-4 on Field #6, as the Cubs swept a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Trevor Mitsui bashed a double and a two-run HR, Sergio Alcantara laced a single and a double and scored a run, Luis Veras singled, doubled, and scored two runs, and Didimo Bracho collected three singles for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
LHP Patrick Corbin (on the Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 60-day DL - 2014 TJS) got the start for the D'backs on Field #6 and hurled three innings of shutout ball, allowing two singles and no walks, while striking out five (four swinging), and a 2/1 GO/FO.
The EXST Cubs returned to action today after a weekend of rain wiped out two games.
Prior to the Cactus League EXST game, RHPs Dylan Cease (2014 TJS), Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Jose Zapata (post-2013 cervical fracture), and Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery) pitched in a five-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Cease and Moreno worked three innings (45 pitches each), Zapata pitched two innings (30 pitches), and Masek threw one inning (15 pitches).
In roster news, 21-year old switch-hitting Dominican OF Robert Garcia has been added to the Cubs Extended Spring Training roster. Garcia signed with the Cubs in July 2013 and spent two seasons with the DSL Cubs, hitting 301/394/369 with 33 stolen bases (8 CS) in 77 games combined 2013-14.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 3-1, BB, R, SB)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 4-3, 4-6 FC, R)
3. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, 4-3, 2 RBI)
4a. Jordan Hankins, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
4b. Robert Garcia, PH-LF: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
5. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (1-5 FC, K, K, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-2 (2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
6b. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 5-4-3 DP, F-9, BB)
8. Jenner Emeterio, LF-DH: 0-3 (K, F-8, K, BB)
9. Tim Saunders, DH-SS: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, F-7, HBP, RBI, 2 SB)
10. Eric Gonzalez, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-8, L-1, 5-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Brad Markey: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
6. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-3 (2-3, E-1, BB, F-7, CS)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 2-3 (K, HR, HBP, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (K, HBP, P-6, F-7)
5. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, CS)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-9, R)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
8. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, 5-4 FC, R, 3 RBI)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 1-4 (K, 2B,. K, L-4, RBI)
10a. Andruw Monasterio, DH #2: 0-1 (6-3)
10b. Miguel Rico, PH-DH: 0-0 (BB)
10c, Tyler Pearson, PH-DH; 0-1 (6-3)
10d. Roney Alcala, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2, P Justin Steele - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
crunch 23 min 7 sec ago (view)
sahadev sharma (the atlantic) says w.contreras is all but gone via trade if jed can't get an extension worked out.
unless you're a yan gomes fan, the catcher market is nearly non-existent this off-season.
if this gets a bit more dire looking for the cubs i'll try to compile a list of 18-21 year old below-top-10 team tallent and guys with serious injuries missing all of next season as potential cubs trade targets.
Cubster 10 hours 57 min ago (view)
Heartwarming Trent Giambrone story in Tribune...
"Dad, that's yours." (...gets misty eyed)
Hagsag 13 hours 5 min ago (view)
crunch 23 hours 2 min ago (view)
It seems to be up to individual country origin promoters at this point, many not english translated. coverage from mlb/milb was limited in 2018 and they seem to have given up in 2019. last year was the same thing even though they were operating a nearly post-covid type structure.
we start tomorrow and nothing seems to be in place for casual english-speaking fans (that i know of).
Hagsag 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
How do I find the site for Caribbean winter baseball? Looking for rosters, box scores and etc.
azbobbop 2 days 8 min ago (view)
I'm not a frequent poster but I am a daily reader who really appreciates this site
SheffieldCornelia 2 days 6 hours ago (view)
I echo this!
Cubster 2 days 9 hours ago (view)
btw, gotta love the banner photo showing white cleats with Wrigley mud stuck to them. Great choice (and very 3D).
Hagsag 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
Cant picture not having AZ Phil as a infomation source.
Mike Wellman 3 days 51 min ago (view)
On top of what everyone else sez, TCR is my passport to the I-Cubs every year. Plz keep up the good work!
First.Pitch.120 3 days 6 hours ago (view)
I echo what everyone else has said. I am in no way an expert (or even novice) at the nuts & bolts of website construction; however, I have dabbled in some website maintenance for various entities. If there is a need for another set of hands, I would be willing to see if I could help ( or at least pull a Jonathan Herrera & cheer from the bench with an awesome helmet).
Wrigley Rat 3 days 22 hours ago (view)
This site is great! It's pretty much the only Cubs site I visit daily, other than a Google search for Cubs news. 90% of the information I get on Cubs prospects is from here. Commenters are usually very respectful and it seems that most are well-informed or want to be. I'm hoping the site can continue. Thanks to everyone who contributes to its content! :)
George Altman 3 days 23 hours ago (view)
I'd like to add, without meaning to take a superior attitude, that ALL the content and commentators on TCR are a step above every other Cubs Blog I've seen. I'm better informed, better briefed about not only what's happening but what's likely to happen.
You all have made me a better Cubs fan. Whatever happens, thank you.
Charlie 4 days 4 hours ago (view)
I will be happy to continue to do gameday posts for another season and would like to keep the site active. Thanks for your labor!
Sorry for all the delayed and abbreviated posts at season's end, by the way.
fullykräusened 4 days 5 hours ago (view)
Like the other posters, I don't post often, but have enjoyed Arizona Phil and crunch (who was right about Jason Heyward :) ). I am grateful for all the work that has gone into maintaining the site, and whatever you want to do to make it work is okay with me!
Cubster 4 days 9 hours ago (view)
Chiming in that TCR is still a major part of my daily Cub routine and has always been my browser homepage. The site contains much love for AZ Phil and his subtle sense of humor as the war correspondent for the Arizona Scoring Service.
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"