Cubs Use Their Bats & Their Heads to Sweep D'backs
Adonis Paula ripped a two-run double and Tyler Alamo belted a two-out RBI double to highlight a three-run 1st, Oscar de la Cruz tossed three innings of shutout ball, and Tim Saunders drove-in the winning run by getting hit on the top of the helmet with a two-strike pitch with the bases loaded, the score tied, and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Field #5, and Eloy Jimenez thumped a solo home run and an RBI triple, Yohan Matos belted a three-run inside-the-park HR, and Bryant Flete singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the D'backs 8-4 on Field #6, as the Cubs swept a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Trevor Mitsui bashed a double and a two-run HR, Sergio Alcantara laced a single and a double and scored a run, Luis Veras singled, doubled, and scored two runs, and Didimo Bracho collected three singles for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
LHP Patrick Corbin (on the Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 60-day DL - 2014 TJS) got the start for the D'backs on Field #6 and hurled three innings of shutout ball, allowing two singles and no walks, while striking out five (four swinging), and a 2/1 GO/FO.
The EXST Cubs returned to action today after a weekend of rain wiped out two games.
Prior to the Cactus League EXST game, RHPs Dylan Cease (2014 TJS), Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Jose Zapata (post-2013 cervical fracture), and Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery) pitched in a five-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Cease and Moreno worked three innings (45 pitches each), Zapata pitched two innings (30 pitches), and Masek threw one inning (15 pitches).
In roster news, 21-year old switch-hitting Dominican OF Robert Garcia has been added to the Cubs Extended Spring Training roster. Garcia signed with the Cubs in July 2013 and spent two seasons with the DSL Cubs, hitting 301/394/369 with 33 stolen bases (8 CS) in 77 games combined 2013-14.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 3-1, BB, R, SB)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 4-3, 4-6 FC, R)
3. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, 4-3, 2 RBI)
4a. Jordan Hankins, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
4b. Robert Garcia, PH-LF: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
5. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (1-5 FC, K, K, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-2 (2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
6b. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 5-4-3 DP, F-9, BB)
8. Jenner Emeterio, LF-DH: 0-3 (K, F-8, K, BB)
9. Tim Saunders, DH-SS: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, F-7, HBP, RBI, 2 SB)
10. Eric Gonzalez, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-8, L-1, 5-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Brad Markey: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
6. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-3 (2-3, E-1, BB, F-7, CS)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 2-3 (K, HR, HBP, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (K, HBP, P-6, F-7)
5. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, CS)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-9, R)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
8. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, 5-4 FC, R, 3 RBI)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 1-4 (K, 2B,. K, L-4, RBI)
10a. Andruw Monasterio, DH #2: 0-1 (6-3)
10b. Miguel Rico, PH-DH: 0-0 (BB)
10c, Tyler Pearson, PH-DH; 0-1 (6-3)
10d. Roney Alcala, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2, P Justin Steele - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
bradsbeard 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
Great info. Thanks!
Arizona Phil 3 days 2 hours ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: What happens on 12/2 is each club submits what's called a "Central Tender Letter" to the MLB LRD listing which unsigned players on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) are being tendered a contract and which unsigned players are not being tendered a contract.
The CTL is sufficient as far as providing proof of contract tender.
For players being tendered contracts, the CTL must list the club's MLB salary offer, a minor league split salary offer (if the club so chooses), and performance bonuses (if any) the club is offering to the player.
crunch 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
theo walked away from a big payday for an executive in his last season as a cub without having another job scoped out...and according to him he's not even looking one.
something tells me this isn't going to be a fun off-season for cubs fans.
the state of the cubs household aside, i wouldn't exactly be shocked to see theo with the mets, though he's supposedly not on their radar at the moment.
Dolorous Jon Lester 3 days 11 hours ago (view)
The Cubs have been at the forefront of tone-deaf owners in terms of financial hardship during the pandemic. "The game isn't as profitable as most people think"
tim815 4 days 8 hours ago (view)
The decision on the amount comes later.
bradsbeard 4 days 11 hours ago (view)
At the point when the team makes the initial contract tender, do they have to offer a specific salary, and if so is that the same number the team takes into arbitration? Or does the specific number the teams files at for arbitration happen at a later date?
Arizona Phil 4 days 14 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: A player who is signed to a contract that does not include a minor league split salary is paid his full MLB salary while optioned or after being outrighted to a minor league club.
So if a player goes to arbitration and is awarded (let's say) a $2.5M salary by the arb panel, the contract will not include a minor league split salary or performance bonuses, and if the player is sent to the minors he is paid the full $2.5M while in the minors.
Hagsag 4 days 15 hours ago (view)
Maybe Trump can give them a loan.
crunch 4 days 15 hours ago (view)
it's not exactly looking good when the cubs brass is complaining about "losing 100m in revenue" when a huge chunk of that seems to include Hotel Zachary. it looks like the entire "entertainment complex" is the cubs as far as the Ricketts are concerned...and the team might have to suffer a bit because they couldn't fully realize profits last year. they've publically stated that the big incoming tax credits from the city they're going to realize for stadium work won't help the cubs payroll.
jdrnym 5 days 1 hour ago (view)
If a player doesn't have a split salary in his contract, how much is he making when in the minors (or how is that salary determined)?
crunch 5 days 6 hours ago (view)
we want kyle schwarber to not be mark trumbo so badly...
either way, the NL having or not having the DH needs to be figured out pretty quickly for a lot of off-season sanity.
crunch 6 days 10 hours ago (view)
minor league hitting coordinator chris valaika moves up assistant hitting instructor for the big league team.
looks like a.iapoce's job is safe.
Cubster 6 days 14 hours ago (view)
Jed Hoyer gets a new 5 yr contract that runs through 2025 season.
Cubster 6 days 15 hours ago (view)
BA's list of 19 prospects who impressed at Instructs. One Cub:
Chase Strumpf, 2B, Cubs
Jackstraw 1 week 10 hours ago (view)
Waiting for Ryan Pace to be available. He should be a week from tomorrow.
crunch 1 week 10 hours ago (view)
i haven't even heard a rumor...which is interesting since "virtual" winter meetings start in a couple weeks.
surprised dan kantrovitz hasn't been named "interim GM" or something...which makes me wonder how wide of a net they're casting to fill the position. he was snagged from the A's and was an assistant GM there (and director of scouting for STL).