Cubs Use Their Bats & Their Heads to Sweep D'backs
Adonis Paula ripped a two-run double and Tyler Alamo belted a two-out RBI double to highlight a three-run 1st, Oscar de la Cruz tossed three innings of shutout ball, and Tim Saunders drove-in the winning run by getting hit on the top of the helmet with a two-strike pitch with the bases loaded, the score tied, and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Field #5, and Eloy Jimenez thumped a solo home run and an RBI triple, Yohan Matos belted a three-run inside-the-park HR, and Bryant Flete singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the D'backs 8-4 on Field #6, as the Cubs swept a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Trevor Mitsui bashed a double and a two-run HR, Sergio Alcantara laced a single and a double and scored a run, Luis Veras singled, doubled, and scored two runs, and Didimo Bracho collected three singles for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
LHP Patrick Corbin (on the Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 60-day DL - 2014 TJS) got the start for the D'backs on Field #6 and hurled three innings of shutout ball, allowing two singles and no walks, while striking out five (four swinging), and a 2/1 GO/FO.
The EXST Cubs returned to action today after a weekend of rain wiped out two games.
Prior to the Cactus League EXST game, RHPs Dylan Cease (2014 TJS), Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Jose Zapata (post-2013 cervical fracture), and Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery) pitched in a five-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Cease and Moreno worked three innings (45 pitches each), Zapata pitched two innings (30 pitches), and Masek threw one inning (15 pitches).
In roster news, 21-year old switch-hitting Dominican OF Robert Garcia has been added to the Cubs Extended Spring Training roster. Garcia signed with the Cubs in July 2013 and spent two seasons with the DSL Cubs, hitting 301/394/369 with 33 stolen bases (8 CS) in 77 games combined 2013-14.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 3-1, BB, R, SB)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 4-3, 4-6 FC, R)
3. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, 4-3, 2 RBI)
4a. Jordan Hankins, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
4b. Robert Garcia, PH-LF: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
5. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (1-5 FC, K, K, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-2 (2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
6b. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 5-4-3 DP, F-9, BB)
8. Jenner Emeterio, LF-DH: 0-3 (K, F-8, K, BB)
9. Tim Saunders, DH-SS: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, F-7, HBP, RBI, 2 SB)
10. Eric Gonzalez, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-8, L-1, 5-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Brad Markey: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
6. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-3 (2-3, E-1, BB, F-7, CS)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 2-3 (K, HR, HBP, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (K, HBP, P-6, F-7)
5. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, CS)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-9, R)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
8. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, 5-4 FC, R, 3 RBI)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 1-4 (K, 2B,. K, L-4, RBI)
10a. Andruw Monasterio, DH #2: 0-1 (6-3)
10b. Miguel Rico, PH-DH: 0-0 (BB)
10c, Tyler Pearson, PH-DH; 0-1 (6-3)
10d. Roney Alcala, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2, P Justin Steele - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
George Altman 1 hour 30 min ago (view)
If this post had a 'like' button, I would press it.
Arizona Phil 2 hours 3 min ago (view)
Infielders Ed Howard IV, Fabian Pertuz, Ryan Reynolds, and Yeison Santana, 1B Grayson Byrd, and OF Darius Hill have been moved down to the Myrtle Beach (Lo-A) squad from the South Bend (Hi-A) squad at Minor League Camp.
Jackstraw 2 hours 53 min ago (view)
I think somebody finally found and turned off the SUCK mode on their Cubs game controller.
It's important we ALL do that, every day.
crunch 6 hours 12 min ago (view)
i think the cubs can risk losing shelby miller.
Dolorous Jon Lester 6 hours 58 min ago (view)
Contreras is amazing. It's why I've been so adamant that its completely nuts how often he's popped up in trade rumors.
Sonicwind75 7 hours 48 sec ago (view)
And the baseball gods smite us with great vengeance.
crunch 7 hours 49 min ago (view)
in a world of bryzzo and baez, contreras deserves his props for his all-around game.
he protected lester's shortcomings for years. good luck with that 40% caught stealing rate and less people attempting it in WAS with aged alex avila and yan gomes, guy.
crunch 8 hours 7 min ago (view)
cubs are scoring runs early and have a lead.
i'm not prepared for this. deep down inside i'm nearly positive this is a good thing, but i'm going to do some research and try to make sure this is a good thing.
okay, i just checked with my friend that's a dodgers fan and this is a good thing. go cubs.
game 14...only the 2nd time with multiple extra base hits in an inning for the cubs this year according to boog.
Dolorous Jon Lester 9 hours 21 min ago (view)
Winkler and Workman return today, Steele and Strop head to alternate site. Yay
Charlie 11 hours 5 min ago (view)
No numbers really needed to show that this offense is terrible right now, but I decided to peruse team stats today to see exactly where the Cubs have struggled the most. I was unsurprised to find they have the third highest pull %, the second lowest line drive %, and the highest K% in the majors right now. BABIP is also the lowest in the majors, whih is to be expected when the team is making poor contact and doing so in the teeth of the shift.
That's not fun baseball to watch.
Dolorous Jon Lester 12 hours 30 min ago (view)
Don't worry, Joc is DEFINITELY an upgrade.
CTSteve 13 hours 32 min ago (view)
And off of a lefty.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 46 min ago (view)
Most players get only three minor league options, but a player who has accrued less than five "full seasons" is eligible for a 4th minor league option.
Charlie 21 hours 16 min ago (view)
I agree that Contreras really sticks that front elbow (and shoulder and to some extent his head) pretty close to the zone. Plus he likes to reach toward the outer half to pull the ball and sometimes to lunge a little at the outside corner, so pitchers will want to work him inside frequently. He should get a thicker elbow guard.
bradsbeard 22 hours 20 min ago (view)
Sounds like Steele will be in line for a 4th option year FWIW.
crunch 23 hours 27 min ago (view)
limited capacity (and it's a "thunderstick" giveaway night), but LAD @ SD is practically a playoff level atmosphere here in april.
this one could be hot for years.