Cubs Use Their Bats & Their Heads to Sweep D'backs
Adonis Paula ripped a two-run double and Tyler Alamo belted a two-out RBI double to highlight a three-run 1st, Oscar de la Cruz tossed three innings of shutout ball, and Tim Saunders drove-in the winning run by getting hit on the top of the helmet with a two-strike pitch with the bases loaded, the score tied, and two outs in the bottom of the 9th inning, as the Cubs edged the Diamondbacks 4-3 on Field #5, and Eloy Jimenez thumped a solo home run and an RBI triple, Yohan Matos belted a three-run inside-the-park HR, and Bryant Flete singled twice, walked, stole a base, and scored two runs, helping the Cubs defeat the D'backs 8-4 on Field #6, as the Cubs swept a Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader this morning at Mesa CubTown at Riverview Park.
Trevor Mitsui bashed a double and a two-run HR, Sergio Alcantara laced a single and a double and scored a run, Luis Veras singled, doubled, and scored two runs, and Didimo Bracho collected three singles for the Diamondbacks in a losing cause.
LHP Patrick Corbin (on the Arizona Diamondbacks MLB 60-day DL - 2014 TJS) got the start for the D'backs on Field #6 and hurled three innings of shutout ball, allowing two singles and no walks, while striking out five (four swinging), and a 2/1 GO/FO.
The EXST Cubs returned to action today after a weekend of rain wiped out two games.
Prior to the Cactus League EXST game, RHPs Dylan Cease (2014 TJS), Erling Moreno (2014 TJS), Jose Zapata (post-2013 cervical fracture), and Trey Masek (2014 shoulder surgery) pitched in a five-inning "sim" game on Field #3. Cease and Moreno worked three innings (45 pitches each), Zapata pitched two innings (30 pitches), and Masek threw one inning (15 pitches).
In roster news, 21-year old switch-hitting Dominican OF Robert Garcia has been added to the Cubs Extended Spring Training roster. Garcia signed with the Cubs in July 2013 and spent two seasons with the DSL Cubs, hitting 301/394/369 with 33 stolen bases (8 CS) in 77 games combined 2013-14.
Here are the abridged box scores from today's games (Cubs players only):
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1. Kevonte Mitchell, CF: 1-3 (1B, F-9, 3-1, BB, R, SB)
2. Frandy de la Rosa, 2B: 0-3 (BB, 3-U, 4-3, 4-6 FC, R)
3. Adonis Paula, 3B: 1-4 (2B, 6-3, 6-3, 4-3, 2 RBI)
4a. Jordan Hankins, DH #1: 0-2 (K, 6-3)
4b. Robert Garcia, PH-LF: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
5. Kevin Encarnacion, RF: 1-4 (1-5 FC, K, K, 1B, 2 R)
6a. Tyler Alamo, C: 2-2 (2B, BB, 1B, RBI)
6b. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: NO AB
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
7. Ho-Young Son, SS-DH: 0-3 (6-3, 5-4-3 DP, F-9, BB)
8. Jenner Emeterio, LF-DH: 0-3 (K, F-8, K, BB)
9. Tim Saunders, DH-SS: 1-2 (HBP, 1B, F-7, HBP, RBI, 2 SB)
10. Eric Gonzalez, 1B-C: 0-3 (F-8, L-1, 5-3)
CUBS SQUAD "A" PITCHERS:
1. Oscar de la Cruz: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 3/4 GO/FO, 32 pitches (23 strikes)
2. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 R (2 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HR, 2/1 GO/FO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
3. Brad Markey: 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 3/3 GO/FO, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
4. Daniel Lewis: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GO/FO, 18 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Greyfer Eregua: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/FO, 24 pitches (18 strikes)
6. Pedro Araujo: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 13 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: NONE
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Eric Gonzalez: 1-1 CS
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1. Roberto Caro, CF: 0-3 (2-3, E-1, BB, F-7, CS)
2. Carlos Sepulveda, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, 4-6-3 DP, BB, R)
3. Eloy Jimenez, LF: 2-3 (K, HR, HBP, 3B, 3 R, 2 RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-3 (K, HBP, P-6, F-7)
5. Ricardo Marcano, RF: 1-4 (K, P-6, 2B, K, CS)
6. Jhonny Pereda, C: 1-3 (1B, K, BB, F-9, R)
7. Bryant Flete, SS: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, BB, 1B, 2 R, SB)
8. Yohan Matos, DH #1: 1-4 (K, K, HR, 5-4 FC, R, 3 RBI)
9. Carlos Jimenez, 3B: 1-4 (K, 2B,. K, L-4, RBI)
10a. Andruw Monasterio, DH #2: 0-1 (6-3)
10b. Miguel Rico, PH-DH: 0-0 (BB)
10c, Tyler Pearson, PH-DH; 0-1 (6-3)
10d. Roney Alcala, PH: 0-1 (3-1)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Justin Steele: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 3 K, 2/1 GO/FO, 34 pitches (22 strikes)
2. Dillon Maples: 1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 2 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 33 pitches (13 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 2.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 1 K, 3/2 GO/FO, 19 pitches (15 strikes)
4. Yomar Morel: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/FO, 12 pitches (10 strikes)
5. Sam Wilson: 1.2 IP, 5 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 3 K, 2/0 GO/FO, 39 pitches (27 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: 2
1. SS Bryant Flete - E-6 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2, P Justin Steele - E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 80's
Charlie 5 hours 54 min ago (view)
This is baseball.
This is the sport we like.
crunch 7 hours 50 min ago (view)
top 9th, 1 out, men on 1st/2nd...alec mills steps to the plate.
they're down by 13 runs. i want to end this, too.
Wrigley Rat 8 hours 57 min ago (view)
Really good stuff here from Marty Pevey (Iowa Cubs Manager, Acting Manager of South Bend): https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/bas...
Eric S 9 hours 47 min ago (view)
If Chatwood can provide two excellent starts for each turkey I can live with that
crunch 9 hours 52 min ago (view)
i dont like august 6th, 2020 chatwood.
i've liked other recent versions, though.
Arizona Phil 9 hours 58 min ago (view)
Without an actual minor league season to use for evaluation purposes, I think the likely Cubs 40-man roster adds on 11/20 will be from this group and probably in this order (and no more than seven, possibly eight):
crunch 10 hours 12 min ago (view)
this digital crowd is creepy as hell. at least it's not for the whole game.
Arizona Phil 13 hours 19 min ago (view)
The Cubs have signed veteran RHRP Kelvin Herrera to a minor league contract and he has been added to the Cubs MLB Club Player Pool and has been assigned to the Cubs Practice Squad in South Bend.
Herrera was released by the White Sox last Sunday, so he should be ready to roll right away if he is needed.
bradsbeard 14 hours 27 min ago (view)
Tommy Birch with the Des Moines Register just interviewed Martin Peavy about what's going on at South Bend. Some intriguing updates on some of the prospects down there as well as details about what they are doing. They could really use Short for scrimmage purposes
Eric S 15 hours 40 min ago (view)
Thanks, AZ Phil!
Arizona Phil 16 hours 13 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARD: I doubt that any club will go below 14 pitchers (with at least nine relievers), and the Cubs could go up to 15 (or 16) pitchers once Jose Quintana (and Brad Wieck) return, especially if the Cubs eventually go with a six-man rotation (as I suspect they will, given the heavy work-load the SP will need to provide what with the questionable bullpen).
bradsbeard 16 hours 19 min ago (view)
Interesting. That's good to know for roster construction purposes.
Arizona Phil 16 hours 38 min ago (view)
ERIC S: Other than assigning one catcher (who can serve as a bullpen catcher) to the Taxi Squad at home game, the Taxi Squad can only be used on road trips
On the Cubs trip to Cincinnati last week, the Cubs definitely carried catcher Jose Lobaton, INF-OF Hernan Perez, and an unnamed pitcher (probably Colin Rea, because he was recalled while the Cubs were still in Cincinnati).
Arizona Phil 17 hours 37 min ago (view)
BRADSBEARDE: The limit on the number of pitchers who can be on a club's MLB Active List roster (which was going to be 13 on a 26-man roster if CoViD-19 hadn't happened) has been suspended and so clubs can carry as many pitcherrs as they wish in 2020.
Arizona Phil 17 hours 40 min ago (view)
The thing with Zack Short not being assigned to the Cubs MLB Club Player Pool (and to the Practice Squad) is odd, because he would have been one of only two legit MLB-ready (or near MLB-ready) shortstops on the Practice Squad (utility man Hernan Perez being the other one). So now al they have is H. Perez.
It can't be because of roster limit concerns because they could have left off Christopher Morel or ine of the younger pitchers to make room for Z. Short.
bradsbeard 17 hours 45 min ago (view)
Not Phil and I don't know what the South Bend guys are doing besides scrimaging or live BP. But I do know Short is not there (I'm still not sure why he's not there other than trying not to use up all the roster space available).