Cubs Use Long-Ball to Crush D'backs at Riverview
Jose Paniagua hammered a three-run HR, Shane Victorino belted a solo home run, Alex Bautista knocked in three runs with an RBI single, a solo home run, and a sacrifice fly, Wladimir Galindo doubled twice, singled, scored a run, and drove-in another, Yeiler Peguero tripled and scored and drilled an RBI single, and Erling Moreno hurled three innings of shutout ball, as the Cubs outslugged the Diamondbacks 12-7 in Cactus League Extended Spring Training action this morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex in Mesa, AZ.
Francis Martinez blasted a grand slam home run, Kal Simmons cranked a two run HR, Jazz Chisholm ripped an RBI double and a triple and scored a run, and Jacy Cave doubled twice for the D'backs in a losing cause.
17-year old RHP Jose Albertos (2015 IFA - Mexico - $1.5M bonus) struck out the side in a 1-2-3 5th inning for the Cubs, mixing a mid-90's fastball with a plus-curve to blow the D'backs away.
John Arguello has game notes from Riverview Park at Cubs Den.
And here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Ruben Reyes, CF-DH: 0-3 (6-3, K, 3-6-1 DP, BB, BB, R, SB)
2a. Shane Victorino, DH #1: 1-2 (6-3, HR, BB, R, RBI)
2b. Yohan Matos, PH-RF: 0-1 (K, BB)
3a. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 2-3 (5-3, 3B, 1B, R, RBI, SB)
3b. Edgar Rondon, SS: 0-1 (BB, F-7, R)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 1-4 (F-9, BB, 5-3, HR, F-7, 2 R, 3 RBI)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 3-5 (K, 2B, 2B, 1B, F-9, R, RBI)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, RF-DH: 0-2 (3-U, 3-U, BB, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDERF
7. Vimael Machin, 2B: 0-2 (BB, P-6, E-6, BB, R)
8. Jonathan Sierra, LF: 0-4 (P-5, 3-1, 1-3, 4-3, RBI)
9. Alex Bautista, DH #2: 2-3 (1B, HR, L-8 SF, K, R, 3 RBI)
10a. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-1 (BB, 1B, R)
10b, Eric Gonzalez, PH-C: 0-2 (P-4, F-7)
11. Jose Gonzalez, DH-CF: 1-3 (P-4, 1B, BB, K, R, SB)
1. Erling Moreno: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HBP, 4/2 GO/AO, 35 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Aaron Crow: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 WP, 1/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Jose Albertos: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
4. John Michael Knighton: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 2/0 GO/AO, 7 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Eugenio Palma: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 0/2 GO/AO, 22 pitches (12 strikes)
6. Jose Leidenz: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
7. Enrique de los Rios: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 2 WP, 2/0 GO/AO, 28 pitches (15 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 1
3B Wladimir Galindo: E-5 (throwing error allowed batter to reach base safely)
Wladimir Galindo was thrown out 7-4 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Mostly sunny & breezy with temperatures in the 90's
crunch 19 hours 35 min ago (view)
* all figures stated are in a range of +/- 10m
yeah, that was me not typing info correctly. my bad.
Arizona Phil 22 hours 11 min ago (view)
Bryant got $19.5M
crunch 1 day 21 min ago (view)
bryant 9.5m, contreras 6.65m, baez 11.65m, z.davies 8.63m
looks like happ is going to arbitration.
Arizona Phil 1 day 21 hours ago (view)
RHP Edward Vasquez (2017 IFA - Dominican Republic) has retired.
E. Vasquez was one of the top SP on DSL Cubs Red in 2019 and was expected to be a SP on one of the Cubs AZL teams in 2020 if the minor league season hadn't been canceled.
He would have been first-time Rule 5 Draft eligible post-2021.
K Dub 2 days 22 min ago (view)
crunch 2 days 2 hours ago (view)
danny hultzen retires and joins the cubs as a "pitching development assistant"
shame the comeback story didn't last longer...but hey, at least he got to taste the bigs after his body failed him for so many years.
crunch 2 days 4 hours ago (view)
theo joining the commish's front office operation as a "consultant reguarding on field matters"...basically weighing in on the possible impact of rules changes.
Arizona Phil 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
K Dub 2 days 7 hours ago (view)
Yeah, to my calculation that suspension should be over by now unless he got caught again...
Wrigley Rat 2 days 11 hours ago (view)
(Not Phil) - Last I saw, he was on the restricted list.
K Dub 2 days 13 hours ago (view)
PHIL: Did the Cubs release Saul Vazquez?
Sonicwind75 6 days 6 hours ago (view)
The 2021 guaranteed amount is $7 + $3 million mutual option buyout. 10>8. Most media reports summarizes it as a $10 million deal.
CubbyBlue 6 days 6 hours ago (view)
Thanks Eric. After I put it up I thought.. damn I'm old. I wonder if people even remember back that far. I still think about that day. Uggh. Sorry.
Charlie 6 days 7 hours ago (view)
I'm always confused by this. They also could have tendered him and then boosted his value by trading him with a million or two in cash considerations. Obviously, that's a million or two more expensive than simply non-tendering--but couldn't you at least get an interesting prospect in return from one of these teams? They obviosuly thought it was worth their return to toss in a few million in the Darvish trade.
tim815 6 days 8 hours ago (view)
The 2021 amount is 7.
The buyout is 3.
crunch 6 days 21 hours ago (view)
chase strumpf is quickly emerging as a "trendy" organizational hot prospect, even among non-cubs fans. amaya is having a decent winter league showing so far...taking a lot of walks, too.