Keprielian Throws Three Shutout Innings at Cubs at Riverview
Devin Foyle (RBI double), Matt Cross (RBI single), and Max Schuemann (RBI single) stroked run-scoring hits to highlight a four-run 3rd inning and SP James Kaprielian hurled three innings of shutout ball, leading the Athletics Gold squad to an 8-4 victory over the Cubs "A" team in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Monday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
The game was pre-planned as an eight-inning contest.
Kaprielian was the New York Yankees 1st round draft pick (#16 overall) in 2015 out of UCLA and was traded to the Oakland A's in July 2017 as part of the package for Sonny Gray. This was Kaprielian's first game action since 2016 (he underwent TJS in April 2017 and shoulder surgery in July 2018). His FB velo is way down from where it was three years ago (was 94-97 in 2015-16) and he didn't miss many bats today, but he had good command of his CV and generally threw strikes (3.0 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 2 GIDP, 3/4 GO/AO).
Abraham Rodriguez (reinstated from the Restricted List last week) clubbed a three-run HR onto the south bank of the Loop 202 Freeway and singled for the Cubs in a losing cause.
RHP Erich Uelmen (on Myrtle Beach 7-day IL) made his second Cactus League EXST rehab start for the Cubs and worked one out into the third inning (37 pitches), allowing a run on three hits (all three singles) and a walk.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
CUBS "A" TEAM LINEUP:
1. Fernando Kelli, RF: 0-2 (F-9, HBP, BB, 5-3)
2. Gioskar Amaya, 2B: 1-3 (1B, P-3, K, HBP)
3. Ezequiel Pagan, DH #1: 1-2 (1B, 6-3, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped first two times thru batting order
4. Yonathan Perlaza, 3B: 0-4 (4-3 DP, K, K, F-8)
5. Wladimir Galindo, 1B: 2-3 (1B, P-3, 1B, R)
NOTE: Slot was skipped fourth time thru batting order
6a. Alexander Guerra, C: 0-1 (5-4-3 DP, BB)
6b. Henderson Perez, C: 0-1 (F-8 SF, F-9, RBI)
7. Luis Diaz, SS: 1-3 (1B, K, E-6, R)
8. Abraham Rodriguez, DH #2: 2-3 (F-7, 1B, HR, R, 3 RBI)
9. Edmond Americaan, CF: 2-3 (1B, 1B, 5-3, SB)
10. Carlos Pacheco, DH #3: 0-3 (F-8, K, 1-3)
11. Albert Hinirio, LF: 0-3 (1-4 FC, K, 4-3)
CUBS "A" TEAM PITCHERS:
1. Erich Uelmen: 2.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 GIDP, 2/3 GO/AO, 37 pitches (24 strikes)
2. Kohl Franklin: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 5 R (4 ER), 3 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (21 strikes)
3. Alexander Vargas: 2.2 IP, 4 H, 2 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 K, 4/2 GO/AO, 47 pitches (30 strikes)
4. Jorge Remon: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 13 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Blake Whitney: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 10 pitches (7 strikes)
CUBS "A" TEAM ERRORS: 4
1. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
2. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (errant back-pick throw to 1st base after RBI single allowed batter to advance to 2nd)
3. 3B Yonathan Perlaza: E-5 (fielding error allowed batter to reach base safely)
4. C Henderson Perez: E-2 (overthrow to 3rd base on SB attempt allowed runner to score)
CUBS "A" TEAM CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Henderson Perez: 0-2 CS, 1 E (see above)
CUBS "A" TEAM OUTFIELD ASSIST:
CF Edmond Americaan - batter thrown out 8-6 attempting to stretch single into double
WEATHER: Overcast with temperatures in the 80's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 1 hour 49 min ago (view)
Credit to Mills bouncing back strong - fifth straight quality start by the rotation certainly helps things. Yu for the series win tomorrow
crunch 1 hour 53 min ago (view)
schwarber in the bottom 10th! walkoff homer.
Jackstraw 2 hours 5 min ago (view)
Throws strikes like Chatwood. Holds runners like Darvish.
Eric S 2 hours 13 min ago (view)
This smells like a Chatwood game.
Eric S 2 hours 15 min ago (view)
Almora - what a tool non-play there.
crunch 2 hours 29 min ago (view)
phew...kimbrel is fresh off taking a half season away from the game, but im ready for a bit less drama out of his appearances.
crunch 2 hours 32 min ago (view)
lorenzen is low-key one of the most exciting players in the game, seriously. he's fun on the mound, at the plate, and baserunning.
Eric S 2 hours 36 min ago (view)
Well that settles it: Lorenzen is a better base runner than Brach. Brach haint got nuttin’
crunch 2 hours 37 min ago (view)
rizzo's power outage has been a little alarming. it seems to be bad luck more than anything obvious, though.
Eric S 2 hours 45 min ago (view)
Near warning track power Rizzo not nearly as fun as home run derby Rizzo
Eric S 2 hours 57 min ago (view)
More rare sighting in last few weeks: a Descalso plate appearance or a Rizzo home run? Descalso PA wins by an eyelash
Descalso actually had one his better at bats (even though he should have been rung up on a missed strike three) — a line drive one hopper to the shortstop
crunch 3 hours 20 min ago (view)
they're celebrating the 69 cubs at the park tonight.
they had a bunch of vets (led by billy williams) do the 7th along with a video edited together of ernie banks + ron santo singing the 7th so they could all sing along. great touch.
crunch 3 hours 44 min ago (view)
montgomery is going to be used as a SP for KC. good for him.
also, a.mills has calmed down into a hell of a nice welcome back start. he's back on my xmas card list.
crunch 5 hours 1 min ago (view)
31 pitches, 3 HBP by mills...and only 3 runs given up in 1.2ip so far!
crunch 5 hours 18 min ago (view)
okay, im done with alec mills.
crunch 5 hours 24 min ago (view)
almora picks up a career highlight reel catch in CF.
even heyward was pumped.