Cubs & D'backs Split the Difference at Salt River Fields
Jeff Smith ripped a two-run triple, singled, doubled, and scored two runs, Alex Brown hammered an RBI triple, singled, walked and scored two runs, Fernery Ozuna drilled an RBI double, tripled, walked, and scored a run, Austin Byler singled twice, walked twice, drove-in a run, and scored another, Marty Herum smacked a two-run home run and singled, and RHSP Sam McWilliams and four relievers combined to spin a five-hitter, as the Diamondbacks crushed the Cubs 12-4 on Whirlwind Field, and Wladimir Galindo (two-run single), Tyler Pearson (two-run double), and Jhonny Bethencourt (RBI single) contributed run-scoring hits to highlight a five-run 7th and RHSP Pedro Silverio tossed three innings of shutout ball with four strikeouts, as the Cubs rallied to defeat the D'backs 7-5 on Jackrabbit Field, in Cactus League Extended Spring Training split-squad doubleheader action this morning at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Resort east of Scottsdale, AZ.
The game on Jackrabbit Field was called after eight innings of play.
Yeiler Peguero singled twice, drove-in a run, and scored another and Miguel Amaya belted a two-run double and walked for the Cubs in a losing cause on Whirlwind Field, and Jose Herrera and Gerard Hernandez drilled two-run singles for the D'backs in a losing cause on Jackrabbit Field.
RHSP Junior Marte had difficulty finding the strike zone in the game on Whilrlwind Field, walking six in just 1.1 IP (he threw only 43% strikes), and surrendering two run-scoring triples when he did throw the ball over the plate.
RHP (ex-INF) Francisco Garay and RHP (ex-OF) Wander Feliz saw their first Cactus League EXST game action since being converted to pitchers this season (they had previously thrown only "live" BP and in intrasquad games at Riverview Park), throwing an inning a piece in the game on Jackrabbit Field. Garay got through his inning relatively unscathed (although his fastball topped out at only 86 MPH), while Feliz walked the bases loaded and then surrendered a two-run single (like Marte, Feliz could not find home plate, recording only 33% strikes).
A 17-year old 6'2 Panamanian, Garay hit just 126/190/146 with a whopping 96 K in 220 PA while playing both 3B and SS for the VSL Cubs in his debut pro season last year, and the 18-year old 6'2 Feliz hit 235/375/333 in 202 PA and 54 games (mostly in RF) for the DSL Cubs in 2015 (his rookie season). Garay received a $200K signing bonus in July 2014, so his failure as a position player is especially noteworthy.
Stephen Bruno saw his first game action since Minor League Camp, playing 2B for four ininngs and going 1-2 (a single and a FC) at the plate on Jackrabbit Field.
Here are the abridged box scores from the two games (Cubs players only)
CUBS SQUAD "A" LINEUP:
1a. Robert Garcia, CF: 0-3 (BB, K, F-7, 3-6 FC, R, SB)
1b. Ruben Reyes, CF: 0-1 (3-6 FC, R)
2. Yeiler Peguero, SS: 2-4 (1B, F-7, F-8, 1B, R, RBI, PO)
3a. Rafael Mejia, DH #1: 0-1 (BB, K)
3b. Miguel Amaya, C: 1-1 (BB, 2B, 2 RBI)
4. Jose Paniagua, 1B: 0-4 (5-3, K, L-4, 3-1)
5. Kevonte Mitchell, DH #2: 0-3 (K, 6-3, 6-3)
6. Kwang-Min Kwon, LF-DH: 0-2 (K, HBP, K)
7. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C-DH: 0-3 (E-6, K, F-7)
8. Vimael Machin, 3B: 1-2 (BB, F-7, 1B)
9. Jonathan Sierra, DH-LF: 0-3 (5-4-3 DP, L-7, K)
10. Roberto Caro, RF: 1-3 (3B, F-9, 1-3, R)
11. Edgar Rondon, 2B: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB, RBI, SB)
CUBS SQUAD" A" PITCHERS:
1. Junior Marte: 1.1 IP, 2 H, 3 R (3 ER), 6 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 49 pitches (21 strikes)
2. Daniel Lewis: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 4 R (4 ER), 1 BB, 2 K, 2 GIDP, 2/1 GO/AO, 39 pitches (29 strikes)
3. Pablo Ochoa: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R (2 ER), 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HR, 1/4 GO/AO, 32 pitches (20 strikes)
4. Scott Frazier: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1 GIDP, 1/1 GO/AO, 21 pitches (12 strikes)
5. Mark Malave: 1.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1 DP, 1/1 GO/AO, 18 pitches (11 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "A" ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Jose Paniagua: E-3 (missed catch on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 2nd)
2. P Pablo Ochoa: E-1 (errant throw on pick-off attempt at 1st base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS SQUAD "A" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 1-2 CS
CUBS SQUAD "A" OUTFIELD ASSISTS:
CF Robert Garcia - batter thrown out 8-6-5 attempting to stretch double into triple
CUBS SQUAD "B" LINEUP:
1a. D. J. Wilson, CF: 1-3 (3B, 3-U, P-2, RBI)
1b. Jose Gonzalez, CF: 0-1 (BB, 5-3, R)
2. Andruw Monasterio, SS: 1-5 (K, 1-2 FC, F-8, F-7, 1B)
3a. Stephen Bruno, 2B: 1-2 (FC, 1B)
3b. Yohan Matos, PH-RF-LF: 1-2 (1B, BB, K+WP, R)
4a. Alex Bautista, DH #1: 0-1 (6-3, BB, BB, HBP, R)
4b. Rafael Narea, PH: 0-0 (BB, SB)
5a. Chris Pieters, 1B: 0-3 (F-9, 6-4 FC, K)
5b. Eric Gonzalez, 1B: 0-2 (P-2, P-4)
6. Wladimir Galindo, 3B: 2-5 (1B, P-3, 3-U, 1B, 5-3, R, 2 RBI)
7a. Abraham Rodriguez, RF-DH: 0-2 (P-2, E-3, R)
7b. Tyler Pearson, PH-C: 1-1 (BB, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Jhonny Bethencourt, DH-2B: 3-4 (K, 1B, 1B, 1B, R, RBI)
9. Ricardo Marcano, LF: 0-2 (4-3, K, 1-3 SH, BB)
10. Tyler Payne, C-DH: 1-2 (1B, BB, K, R)
NOTE: SLOT WAS SKIPPED FOURTH TIME THRU BATTING ORDER
11. Luis Ayala, DH-RF: 0-2 (SH-FC, BB, F-7, K)
CUBS SQUAD "B" PITCHERS:
1. Pedro Silverio: 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K, 1 GIDP, 1/3 GO/AO, 38 pitches (29 strikes)
2. Francisco Garay: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 12 pitches (7 strikes)
3. Alexander Santana: 1.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 28 pitches (16 strikes)
4. Yapson Gomez: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (6 strikes)
5. Wander Feliz: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 0 K, 1 WP, 1/2 GO/AO, 27 pitches (9 strikes)
6. M. T. Minacci: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 14 pitches (8 strikes)
CUBS SQUAD "B" ERRORS: NONE
SQUAD "B" CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Tyler Payne: 1-2 CS
2. Tyler Pearson: 1-1 CS
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & breezy with temperatures in the 70's
Eric S 5 hours 40 min ago (view)
Never played roto baseball but enjoy listening to roto podcasts for the very same reasons you list.
crunch 8 hours 11 min ago (view)
ex-cub-for-a-minute derek holland (PIT) had a bad 1st inning today...homer, single, homer, homer, homer in his first 11 pitches.
crunch 8 hours 36 min ago (view)
i played for decades in various formats. i got crazy busy 3 years ago, took a year off, and never got back into it.
it's a great way to stay engaged with all the players and introduce yourself to emerging talent other people see that may not be on your radar.
Dolorous Jon Lester 16 hours 2 min ago (view)
It feels like you have no time to let players you know are good figure out how to get out of slumps. It's not ideal, and feels very much like it's not baseball.
crunch 1 day 1 hour ago (view)
at least this HOU/OAK game has been great since the DET/PIT game has ended. sigh.
crunch 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
at least this DET/PIT game has been great. no cubs til tuesday at the earliest...boo.
Arizona Phil 1 day 2 hours ago (view)
jdrnym: A player being on the Restricted List for a full season makes that season not a qualified season toward minor league free-agency, so will Mark Zagunis (who otherwise would be eligible to be a minor league 6YFA for the first time post-2020) being on the Restricted List as the result of opting-out of the 2020 season (he was assigned to the Cubs MLB Club Player Pool in July) keep him from being a minor league 6YFA post-2020? If not, then Zagunis needs to opt back in even if he is no longer assigned to the Cubs MLB Club Player Pool.
jdrnym 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
Baseball America confirms that 2020 will be considered a "qualified season" for the purposes of determining minor league free agency.
crunch 1 day 4 hours ago (view)
"Cardinals' president of baseball operations John Mozeliak announced Friday that Ryan Helsley and Austin Dean are the two players that tested positive for COVID-19."
Cubster 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
I presume they come back to Chicago for the weekend and travel to Cleveland on Tuesday.
Saved from an August weekend in Stl. Plus, it might eliminate any road games vs Stl. They might do makeups during the 3 game series at Wrigley Mon 8-17 to Wed 8-19 (Thursday 8-20 is a scheduled off day for the Cubs but StL plays the Reds in StL at night) or the 4 game series against the Cardinals at Wrigley Friday 9-4 through Mon 9-7.
crunch 1 day 5 hours ago (view)
i can't even imagine what it's like playing fantasy baseball this season.
Arizona Phil 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
So the Cubs are off until Tuesday.
Hagsag 1 day 7 hours ago (view)
Make the Deadbirds forfeit all three games.
crunch 1 day 10 hours ago (view)
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Based upon the way MLB handled the Marlins positive tests and the Phillies only potential exposure, I wouldn't be surprised if all three of the Cubs-Cards games this weekend will ultimately be canceled.
Arizona Phil 1 day 11 hours ago (view)
Tonight's Cubs-Cardinals game postponed due to an additional Cards positive CoViD-19 test.
The additional STL player who tested positive had apparently been out in public with the others who tested positive earlier this week when they were infected, so while the new positive test is not a surprise, the lag/delay in the player testing positive is probably a bit concerning/disappointing.