Alzolay Goes Four as Cubs & Rockies Draw in Extras
Brandon Vicens singled in the 3rd, walked and scored on a Rafael Mejia RBI double in the 7th, and drilled a game-tying two-run double in the 8th, Fabian Pertuz singled twice and scored a run, and Marcus Mastrobuoni belted a solo HR, walked twice, scored two runs, and threw out two baserunners attempting to steal and back-picked another one off 1st base for the Cubs, and Eddy Diaz singled and tripled and SP Anderson Amarista hurled four innings of shutout ball for the Rockies, as the two teams played to a ten-inning 5-5 tie in Cactus League Extended Spring Training game action Tuesday morning on Field #5 at the Riverview Baseball Complex on John Arguello Way in Mesa, AZ.
Adbert Alzolay (on AAA Iowa 7-day IL - lat strain) got the start for the Cubs and worked four innings (59 pitches). He allowed three runs on five hits (four singles and a Shael Mendoza solo HR), issued one walk, uncorked a WP, and committed two balks. He also struck out eight (six swinging).
Alzolay grew stronger as he worked deeper into the game. After allowing five of the first eight men he faced to reach base, he dialed it up a notch and retired eight of the last nine (seven by strikeout).
Cubs pitchers struck out 17 Rockies during the course of the game, and Chi-Feng Lee pitched an "immaculate" top of the 10th (he struck out the side on nine pitches).
The Cubs played only one Cactus League EXST game today, so the squad that took on the Rockies consisted of elements of both the "A" team and the "B" team.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only):
1. Rochest Cruz, 2B: 1-5 (K, 1B, 4-3, 1-3, L-3)
2a. Gioskar Amaya, DH #1: 1-4 (1B, P-6, K, 5-3)
2b. Kevin Moreno, PH: 0-0 (BB)
3a. Henderson Perez, DH #2: 0-3 (L-6, 5-3, BB, 4-3)
3b. Richard Nunez, PH: 1-1 (1B, PO)
4. Marcus Mastrobuoni, C: 1-2 (4-3, HR, BB, BB, 2 R, RBI)
5. Yovanny Cuevas, LF: 0-3 (K, 6-3, K, BB, R)
6. Fabian Pertuz, SS: 2-4 (6-3, 1B, P-6, 1B, R)
7. Brandon Vicens, RF: 2-3 (1B, 5-3, BB, 2B, R, 2 RBI)
8. Rafael Mejia, 1B: 1-4 (F-7, 2B, 5-3, P-6, RBI)
9. Jose Gutierrez, CF: 1-4 (F-7, E-4, 2B, F-9, RBI, SB)
10. Widimer Joaquin, 3B: 1-4 (1B, K, K, K)
1. Adbert Alzolay: 4.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R (3 ER), 1 BB, 8 K, 1 HR, 1 WP, 2 BALK, 2/1 GO/AO, 59 pitches (39 strikes)
2. Junichi Tazawa: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 0/1 GO/AO, 17 pitches (12 strikes)
3. Erick Leal: 2.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GO/AO, 26 pitches (23 strikes)
4. Joel Machado: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (1 ER), 0 BB, 0 K, 1/1 GO/AO, 20 pitches (14 strikes)
5. Alfredo Colorado: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 17 pitches (13 strikes)
6. Chi-Feng Lee: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 9 pitches (9 strikes)
CUBS ERRORS: 2
1. 1B Rafael Mejia: E-3 (overthrow on attempted back-pick at 3B after 5-3 GO allowed runner to score)
2. 2B Rochest Cruz: E-4 (missed catch on SB attempt at 2nd base allowed runner to advance to 3rd)
CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Marcus Mastrobuoni: 2-5 CS, 1 PO
Kevin Moreno - thrown out 9-6 attempting to score from 2nd base on single to RF
WEATHER: Partly cloudy & a bit breezy after morning rain with temperatures in the 70's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"
Eric S 1 hour 26 min ago (view)
And Joe pinch hits for Descalso again today - now 205/277/316 on the year. But no need to put a jumpy-jump in the parking lot during spring training like they did last year for TLS so it balances out.
crunch 1 hour 49 min ago (view)
tommy lastella hit his 12th homer of the year...grand slam.
tim815 2 hours 21 min ago (view)
Not sure why any of the teams would only have enough talent for one XSL game.
crunch 3 hours 34 min ago (view)
aww...cubs were a pest all game, but couldn't overcome.
crunch 3 hours 37 min ago (view)
omfg chatwood...with the bat.
crunch 3 hours 38 min ago (view)
RIP heyward's bat.
shout out to bo jackson...that was a clean break.
it was a swing/miss with no contact so it's doubtful it was a cracked bat.
Eric S 4 hours 5 min ago (view)
Bullpen reclamation project Kyle Ryan’s ERA now 5.06. Bummer
crunch 4 hours 21 min ago (view)
wow baez...also, wow rizzo.
call overturned, but that was a hell of an "almost" play.
crunch 7 hours 12 min ago (view)
he's thrown so little of his other stuff lately that i can't even guess and sure don't know.
he's always been fastball-heavy, but it's almost exclusively fastball now.
he gets movement on a 95-97mph fastball...that's a positive about it if he's gonna continously offer it up.
VirginiaPhil 7 hours 17 min ago (view)
crunch 7 hours 42 min ago (view)
schwarber / baez / rizzo / contreras / heyward / almora / descalso / lester / bote
i guess we're in for 2-20 random games of "pitcher hits 8th" before suddenly deciding that's not a thing anymore...again
crunch 14 hours 4 min ago (view)
it had to feel good for him to get that standing O at the home ballpark.
he's still throwing almost nothing but fastballs exclusively, though...wonder what's up with that.
Hagsag 14 hours 56 min ago (view)
Chatwood is becoming a force in the BP.
QuietMan 23 hours 35 min ago (view)
crunch 23 hours 54 min ago (view)
ALMORA GRAND SLAM!!!
way to break a tie.
crunch 1 day 40 min ago (view)